Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would you pay $20k for a used car?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Would you pay $20k for a used car?

Now that "everyone gets GM employee discount" scam is over, I am thinking getting a cheap used car. I started at $5k budget then now it's creeping up to $15k for a 2003 Jeep.

Is there a certain price limit where it's ridiculous to pay for a used car just because it's used? Not counting used Porches and Benzs ofcourse.

People telling me "$20k for a used car? You can get a new Civic or a Saturn for that price!"

2. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

the GM discount isnt over yet. I think it ends July 5th.

To answer your question, it depends on what car you're getting, what year, mileage, and all the other stuff. The newer and better the car is, of course you're gonna pay more. The alternative is getting a new cheaper car such as a civic as you said before. But you said that you were looking for a jeep. It depends on your preference. Imo, $20k for a used car isnt too much.

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

From a practical standpoint, it's better to buy a used car. New cars lose a ton of value once you drive them off the lot.

So yeah, depending on what you are getting, there is nothing wrong with paying 20k if you can afford that.

4. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

If you're going to buy a car used I suggest first checking out Consumer Reports to see which makes and years are the most reliable/safest/what-have-you. Next, go to the Kelly Blue Book site to see what the general value of the car you're thinking about buying. Then if you're seriously considering a certain car, make sure to find out everything about the car. The best way to do this is to take it to a reliable mechanic and have it checked out. Now that you know everything there is to know about the car, go back to the Kelly Blue Book site and enter all the info into the pricing system to come up with price that's either reasonable or unreasonable.

If all seems in good order, sure, go through with the deal, even if it takes 20k.

5. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Must be different prices in different areas...20k around here is ALOT for a used car. I can get a brand new car for another 3-5k. Unless its like a 1 yrs old Altima..even then it may be lower. Up town there is a Grand Prix, leather/sunroof/12k mileage =13k. And thats asking price, it could easily be talked down at least 2k np.

6. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

20k used ferrari..

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

this car had only one previous owner....

JAMES BOND!!

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

that's not too bad a price. I bought a 1999 jeep grand cherokee limited for 13.4K a few years back. great deal I love the car and I got a bunch of nice features i wouldn't have gotten on the new one. (heated leather seats, sky light, the qudratrac, power everything and more, onboard computer--though not as sophisticated as these days--all kinds of other good stuff too). plus it's the perfect size for me. big enough to move all the random crap I seem to haul around, small enough to actually park, even in the city. if I went new I'd have had to but some crappy compact/small sedan like a saturn, and I would've hated it.

Remember, you have to drive this car around. anything in the that 2-4 year old mark is still likely a decent car, yes get it checked out, but don't feel like new means anything more than "built more recently". once you have your sweet used ride, feel free to mock your friends and their crappy saturns/civics.

BTW saturns are notoriously crappy cars. maybe they're made some improvements, but in my experience they're all kinds of problems. civics are reliable but terribly boring, and utilitarian. they're also annoyingly low on the road.

BTW2 you prolly won't see this as much on 2003's but older jeeps have great engines and iffy transmissions....make sure when your mechainc friend goes over it he drives it around and does whatever car guys do to check it out. if you have a problem with the thing, that's where it'll be. Also scope the serpentine belt, that little bugger needs to be replaced early (around 60k) and costs about 100-150 bucks. it's a pain because there's just one belt not several so it's a bit labor intensive. check it for any cracks. other than that I've had no problems with any of the three jeeps I've owned. the first, had 90k on it before there was a tragic accident and it had had no problems at all really, just regualr maintenence, the second went for 125 before my dad rear ended it in the driveway..and after a little tinkering and not using the driver door i think made it to 134 or so before I traded it in for my "new" one. this one is at 90 now (bought at ~50) and it's running great.

9. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Speaking as a professional mechanic, my advice is to have ANY used vehicle you want to purchase checked out by a mechanic not associated with the people who are selling the vehicle.

As our local radio mechanic likes to say:

"Get the check out before you write the check out!"

It may cost somewhere between $100-200 for an in-depth vehicle inspection, but it's the best money you can spend in today's used car market.

As far as $20 grand goes?

Sure, I'd love to drop $20K on a 1970-72 Hemi Cuda....money well spent :)

10. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

The best advice I can offer is to go to a place like Carmax and, whatever you buy, get the extended warranty. This is one way you can beat out Murphy (as in "Murphy's Law"). You see, if you toss several hundred dollars into a warranty Murphy will be sure your car never breaks down so the money you spent on a warranty was wasted.

A few other things: A serpentine belt for a Jeep Grand Cherokee is not $100-150, unless you are talking about Canadian money of course. That belt is around $25 and takes around 10 minutes to replace if you have some mechanical abilities.

If you are looking for reliability and comfort, go with a Toyota Avalon. Good power, their leather seats are quite comfortable on long trips and you can't beat the reliability of Toyotas. For $20k you should be able to get an Avalon like 1 year old with say 10k miles. What a deal hey?

11. CyberHawk

noooo, Jon Voight!!!

ITS JON VOIGHT'S CAR!!

12. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

you did the belt by yourself? how the heck did you get that thing off, I couldn't figure out which pulley i could loosen. I said forget it and asked my oil change guy. he said 110, and I balked, so I asked my regualr mechanic, and he didn't even want to do it, but finally I got him to something in the same ballpark (with my discount). It's not terrible bad, but I know I should replace it here soon (before winter) because it's got some cracks, I'm afraid the cold weather will be too much for it. did you buy it at a car parts place or do you have a hook up? $25 would be nice and i know if I could find out what pulley to move i could do it.

also, since we're chatting maintenence, how much is a freon shot for the A/C? Suddenly I'm irked at my mechanic and my oil change guy.

13. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

That should be you. It's so easy to learn and do.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

As geeky as I am, my dad taught me how to do it when I was 8. . .it wouldn't be so memorable if we hadn't had "the talk" afterwards in the pool house(where all the filters and stuff are) while fixing the sand filter.

Yeah, I bet no one thought this topic would come up.

15. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well i never had "the talk" mainly due to my parents being divorced and a non-verbal agreement between me and my dad to never bring it up unless it was absolutely necessary.

16. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

I wish I could get the talk now, because I have already done it, and it would be hilarious.

17. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

There is a sping loaded pully called the idler pully that you put a ratchet in and pull back to loosen the belt. There should be a chart somewhere under your hood that gives the layout on how the belt goes on and where the idler pully is located. Piece of cake.

As far as the "shot of freon", I suggest you find out first why you need it. The AC is a sealed system that only requires a "shot" if a leak has developed. Also things to consider are how bad the leak is and if the leak has allowed moisture into the system. If this is the case then you need to evacuate the system, fix the leak, pull a vacuum and then recharge.

Normally this is done by an ac repair guy and the cost would depend on where the leak is and what needs done to correct it.

18. CyberHawk

Just go to a mechanics shop...they can shoot you some freon(sp?) in there pretty fast..cost like less than 20 bucks around here.

19. skihard

skihard Banned

Belt Replacement – Usually the pulley you are looking for is attached to the alternator or it’s the one on an arm all by itself. If it’s the alternator one simply loosen the locking nut that holds the tension (this is older vehicles) the other is the Arm one and for the most part requires a 5/8†(16mm) socket or 3/4†(19mm) socket they generally have an arrow pointing the direction you need to move the arm to loosen it and it’s spring loaded so as soon as you let go it applies tension.

Oil change – it is very easy to change yourself however a couple things to be aware of. You have to dispose of the old oil in a safe manner (well should) some auto parts stores will take in the bad oil if you purchased the new oil from them. But let’s look at the cost quick. Filter $5-$7, Oil $1.25-$2.50 per quart. Most cars take 5 quarts of oil. So taking the lower prices it will cost you $11.25 just for the stuff to do it yourself. Now the cost for a quick lube or perhaps even your dealer is from $19.00-$34.00. If you take it to a Ford dealer you can spend $34 for the works and get the following, Tire rotation (should be done every 10k miles), all fluids filled (washer fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid) they will check, and if needed, blow out the Air filter and check the brake pads. Do all that your self and think about the time it takes and the $20 extra dollars to save yourself the aggravation is well worth it IMO.

AC – If you want to be a do it yourselfer you can replace the Freon for about $10, but if you have leak it will usually only last about 2 weeks so take it and have the system pressure tested and recharged.