Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

would you like it in parts or certified ready-to-fly? ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sergeant, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

would you like it in parts or certified ready-to-fly?

All those who have ever wanted to fly a fighter but didn't want to or couldn't become a pilot, here's our chance!:

teh source

I mean, it just doesn't get much cooler than owning your own Blue Angel's F/A-18 fighter jet. The only thing possibly cooler would be a battle ready mech. But since those don't exist yet, a fighter jet is about the coolest out there.

Now all I need is 10 mill or so and the funds to fly it around.

*searches the couch for change, sells his comic books and stamp collection to raise funds*

Oh, here's the e-bay listing.

2. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I'd want it fully assembled. I am a flyer, not a mechanic!

I bet it would be fun to throw that thing through some paces.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I would want it assembled but now that you mention it a battle-ready mech would just be plain kickass. *Searches E-bay for mechs....*

I am surprised they would sell a former military fighter though. I guess the technology has advanced to much to really matter.

4. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I doubt the actual plane is combat capable. I'm pretty sure that they don't install a lot of the weapons avionics on stunt planes. Those "black boxes" are pretty heavy. A lighter planes means its easier to fly and easier to pull aerial manuevers. There's no point in outfitting planes with equipment that allows it to fire weapons its never going to carry. Although the Ebay listing says that bomb racks and stuff are included, it doesn't say anything about a combat capable radar system. A bomb rack just means that you can carry a bomb. And bombs by their own right can get very expensive.

A large chunk of new combat aircraft prices (the raw cost to produce it and excluding R&D costs) comes from the eletronics. The airframe technology hasn't advanced much when compared with avionics technology. If the you can buy an F/A-18 for only $9 million, then I'm pretty sure you're just buying the bare minimum (+ safety) to fly the plane.

So sorry guys, you're not going to be firing Sidewinders from that thing.

5. Sergeant

Well, it said ready to fly, not ready to fight.

It can be made flight worthy.

Even a flight worthy only fighter is still kickbutt.

*breaks the sound barrier near a building with lots of windows*

6. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

It looks like the C model. The engines are brand new. I wonder about the airframe though. Navy airframes really get a beating from the carrier deck landings and sea condidition. The listing failed to state whether this bird went to sea first or went straight to the Navy flight team.

Geez, I sound like I was inquiring to make a real bid or something. Funny how it said "serious bidders only."

7. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

hmm, I've built some complex machinery in my day, I'd like a crack at assembling it. Hey GiantPink, wanna be my test pilot? ;)

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

*buys SAM system off E-bay and waits for Sarge to fly by*
    Muahahahahhahaa.... :evil:

9. th5418

th5418 Banned

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Like all aircraft, MIGs have their editions, some of which are later than others. It doesn't say what edition this is, but this one appears to be from 1983, which is pretty out of date.

11. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I wonder how old that F/A-18 is. Most of the planes in service are as old or older then the pilots who fly them. The Navy gave this one up in 1994, which meant it probably had served for quite some time before that. I wouldn't be surprised if it was older then that MiG.

All planes that are acknowledged to exist are outdated technology. The F-117 was developed in the mid-70s and wasn't revealed until late 80s and wasn't used until a couple years later. The newest US fighter, the F-22, was concieved over 10 years ago. Compared with the U-2, which went took less then a year to develop back in the 50's. The gestation period of a new airplane has dramatically increased. Of course they got a lot more complicated since then but still...

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It wouldn't be older. The first F/A-18 A came into service with the Navy in 1983. The first test flight was in 1978.

The MIG 29 was first put into operation also in 1983.

13. Sergeant

*Turns on radar jamming equipment, readies counter measures and afterburners*

Bring it grease spot. :grrr: