Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would you join a site or forum-only IncGamers Hardcore clan?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by HardRock, Mar 18, 2014.

1. HardRock

HardRock Diabloii.Net Member

Here's the thing. The current INC EU HC clan is full and without reliable activity monitoring I don't feel comfortable kicking people to make space for new members. For this reason I talked to Flux about creating a second EU HC clan, where (at least initially) I'd only invite frequent visitors of this site. I think this would have primarily two benefits:

1) We would have a better idea of how active our members are in the community or even if they know the site at all.

2) Everyone here that wants to join would have a good chance of getting in, since we wouldn't fill up with people who stumbled upon the clan while searching in-game.

Flux's main concern was understandably that we may not get enough members this way. Indeed, clans are kinda pointless with just a handful of people, so I'll base the restrictions on how many people show interest here. For example, if 75+ regular forum members sign up, then the clan will start as forum-only, but if only 5-10 forum goers show interest then I'll invite even forum lurkers and newer members. If we won't get enough people even with those less strict rules, then I'll probably fall back to our current rules, where we invite everyone above a certain HC Paragon level. In any case, I plan to keep 15-20 open slots in the clan at all times, to give a better chance for active forum members to join us later.

Personally, I'm fine with inviting even friends of existing members, as long as they plan to play with other members as well. Otherwise there's not much point in them joining the clan in my opinion, especially since IncGamers also have a Community set up.

So this is my current plan. if you have questions or suggestions then feel free to post here. If you want to sign-up then post your B.net ID as well (or PM it to me, either way don't forget the unique number at the end), so that when the time comes I can invite you. Also, don't forget that this will be a HC clan in the EU. I think I'll create the clan this weekend, so that we'll have a place to put those who come back to play the expansion.

A notice for the mods: I know that the Player Matchup or Hardcore Forum may be a better place for a thread like this and I did link to this thread from Elly's official clan thread and Flux's HC clan thread. I decided to post it in the General Forum anyway because it would help me a lot if as many people would see it as possible and this is probably the most visited part of the forum.

EDIT: If anyone from the current EU HC clan is reading this, you don't have to register on the forums if you don't want to. You can also send me a whisper in-game if you're interested in switching clans or if you have any feedback at all.

EDIT2: Change of plans. I'll wait with the creation of the clan until the release of the expansion. Maybe the devs will surprise us with awesome new clan features.

EDIT3: Looking at the responses I think it may not have been obvious that I want to hear from absolutely everyone that's interested in joining, regardless of how active they are on the forums or how often they visit the site. If you don't write here or in in-game whispers to me, then I'll assume that less people are interested overall. Like I said, the final invite restrictions will depend on who wants to join. If you're interested, then let me know.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. Killy

Killy Diabloii.Net Member

Interested.

Not sure to what degree 12 posts and "new" account qualify me to.

Killyox#2413

3. Delat

Delat Diabloii.Net Member

Haha, I hear ya.

Have always visited the site but haven't really used my actual forum account much at all. Then again I also joined the first EU HC clan and thus probably wouldn't be joining a second one.

4. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

Several parts of this I like, couple I am not sure how you would define.

I would really like the Clans to be only for Inc Gamers members only. Not to sounds snobbish, but I think that encourages folks to visit the site and sign up if nothing else. Also, for whatever trading might occur, I think it would encourage interclan trading.

Something I do not think you can easily define is membership based on posts or anything else. People been viewing this site for years and posted once or twice. IMHO if they are a forum goer it should come with privilege and nothing less.

One last thing I want to mention, I like your motivation and thoughts. Bringing people together under a common cause and umbrella is always an inspiration for me personally.

/end rant

5. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I think having it available to people that aren't members here when they sign up to the clan, might actually lead them to checking out these forums. Dunno, just a thought.

6. HardRock

Yeah, the exact rules aren't set in stone yet exactly for that reason. So far I only advertised the new clan on the forums and to the members of the current clan. I'll see how many people are interested and proceed from there.

Very good point, but I think the existing clan could be used for this purpose.

Also, maybe this wasn't clear from my original post, but if we won't have enough members in the new clan then I'll slowly invite even "outsiders". For these people I'll apply the 'minimum HC Paragon level 50' rule. However, whatever happens I want to keep open slots for forum members.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. darkrealm

darkrealm IncGamers Site Pal

You are probably right, I just hope someone doesn't get left out that is a current forum person. I am being too close-minded perhaps.

BTW, where is Spiffy?!?!!?

8. MannerPylo

MannerPylo Diabloii.Net Member

Those parts seem to be at odds with one another.

Either way, I have been lurking around here (and previously diabloii.net) forever. And had a lot of fun with people in the clan the past two weeks, it would sort of suck if that would fall apart because we're getting too big. I'm not going to be an active participant on the forums, I'd rather play the game in the limited spare time I have. I can understand if you guys want your exclusive forum active people club, I just hope the outsider INC HC clan will not die because of this.

9. HardRock

Not really, it's more like we'd start with strict rules and move toward less restrictions as needed. I think by the weekend we'll see how many people are interested, then I could check how many of them are active on the forums, how many are newcomers, etc. If not many old timers will sign up, then the initial restrictions will be more relaxed.

Like I said however, whatever happens I'll try to keep open slots if possible for long-standing members, to be sure that I won't have to send them away if they decide to join later.

I don't want to see the EU HC clan fall apart either, we got a great bunch of people there. What I want to stress is that the new clan isn't really about exclusivity at all. There's a definite need for the new clan, because the first one is full and the game gives no tools whatsoever for leaders to monitor activity, which we could use to filter out inactive members. That last part is the real problem. We may have 10, 20, 30 people like this in the clan, or we may have none at all, we have absolutely no idea. Sure, I could ask in the clan chat if people saw X or Y in the last few days, but do I really want to rely on the error prone human memory when I'm considering kicking people? Of course not. This is why I'm thinking about a site-only second clan. If people are registered on an online forum it shows that they are really interested in a game and will probably play regularly. At least that's my thinking.

If it turns out that the second clan won't have enough people like this (again, we'll know by the weekend), then we can still fall back to just creating a clan where we'll let in almost anyone who finds it through the game.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

FYI, INC clan in the US was created for anyone. INC2 in the US was for forum members only. These are softcore clans. I am not sure how full INC 2 is but Inc has 142 or so as of yesterday. I have made the broadcast message (when someone in the clan logs in) to join us here for discussion and I do not know how many new forum members that has resulted in. Yes, the tools for clan owners and officers are minimal and I hope they add more.

11. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Diabloii.Net Member

I'm in Inc 1 which is cool because now I'm cool too ;)

but I only play hardcore and most people there only play softcore - there are daily a max of 2-3 hc players which is a little *zZzZzZzZz*
    so I would welcome a site/clan/forum/thingy that caters to the needs of us hardcore crazies.

12. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

There are 3 INC hardcore clans already. 2 for US and 1 for EU.

13. Venet

Venet Diabloii.Net Member

Venet here, ready to go :)

14. Xeodus

Xeodus Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting idea - as we're full, it makes sense to split along some well defined line and this seems pretty sensible, especially as it is meant to be a D3 Inc clan :)

Xeodus#2999

15. koko

koko Diabloii.Net Member

I guess that for mix HC/SC, the choice is carnelian...

16. HardRock

I had to look up Carnelian dilemma (actually called Cornelian, assuming we're talking about the same thing), so I learned something new. :)

Yes, some kind of well defined split is inevitable while a member cap is in effect. We definitely don't have enough space to mix SC and HC players. By this I'm not actually arguing against the elimination of the cap, there are sensible reasons for it (like keeping the clan chat readable). I think the current setup of limited clans and unlimited communities should work fairly well, but clan leaders absolutely need better tools that they can use to filter people and possibly relegate members to communities.

17. koko

koko Diabloii.Net Member

My. These auto-correctors really makes us write curious things... The fact the carnelian is a stone which is also called cornelian which is a homonym of what I meant makes it again more curious...

Yet, I was just asking since I gave a try to HC with the new "spike less" patch and really enjoy the thrill. However, I'm far from Plvl50. But I won't gave up SC when I play upon Wifi or in front of the TV set.

18. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I'm just sad that we're region locked for clans. Would be nice to clan up with some of you EU folks.

19. Elly

Elly Administrator

We won't make any changes until the game is released. Perhaps they will increase the cap when RoS goes live. If they don't we'll get something sorted out.

The US Hardcore restructuring planned for this Friday is still going ahead (details)

20. HardRock

Not an issue in your case. The P50 requirement is only for people who aren't familiar with the Inc site.

Roger that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014