Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would you hire immigrants to work for you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Would you hire immigrants to work for you?

I admit I have used them on occassion to clear weeds or dig ditches. Excellent workers they are. I can get a truck load of eager Mexicans without drama.

What's the problem really? The kids nowadays are too damn spoiled to work for $8/hr and they'd rather stay home eat chips and play video games.

Those Mexicans work damn hard. Have you even seen them pack the fruits and mop floor at the Chinese grocer? I certainly wouldn't think our pansy kids could do any of the jobs they do.

If the work is there and someone is willing to work hard for it, why not hire them. People who are against using illegals doesn't have an answer to fill these jobs.

2. Deadbolt'd

Deadbolt'd IncGamers Member

I guess it would depend on the quality of their work and the price they would work for. I have nothing against them. If they worked better, or for less, than the next non-immigrant, I would hire them.

-DB

3. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

It is still illegal, to hire them, no?

INS and IRS get kinda s****y over this.

4. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

They usually get paid alot less than they deserve. its a kid that deserves $6.50 an hour not a full grown adult that works hard trying to survive. even if he is a illegal immigrant.

I wouldn't hire them, because you can get into serious trouble if the government catches you.

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

The problem Americans seem to have with Immigrants is that they work HARDER than them for less pay. Americans are not willing to work hard for competitive pay, so the jobs go to the Mexicans. Good, let em go. Maybe some of those Americans will learn that maybe that they should just bite the bullet if they need a job to pay their bills.

6. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Ive hired mexicans to do work for me too, drive to a farm with a truck, some beer, and say "Quieres trabajo" youre set. Im gonna hire some jamaicans sometime too just to blaze with them.

Id also fake immagrancy to get a job.

I dont think its illegal to hire illegal immigrants, wasnt there some huge thing about like walmart and other places doing it and no one gave a shat?

7. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

A fellow who owned a chinese restaraunt, here in town, is doin a couple of years in the joint, for hiring illegals.

So, yeah, it is illegal.

8. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Must be one of those "case by case" things that america is famous for.

Like if you have a baseball bat at the wrong time you get arrested and fined...

And in some cases you have sex with your intern then kill her and hide the body with no penalty, but in that case its cool.

9. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

in the context of this thread their legality is not in question, they are refered to as immigrants, not illegal immigrants and as such there would be no particular reasons not to hire them on this basis

edit: oh, he uses "illegals" in his last line, oh well, no clue what he's talking about, seems to be inconsistent to me

10. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Yeah, it made a big splash in the local paper. Maybe they made an example of this guy.

It is technically illegal, though.

Now, Sneddon is after MJ.

11. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Its illegal to _knowingly_ hire illegal immigrants. If you can tapdance around your knowledge of their citizenship, you can get off scot free.

12. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

You need to keep photocopies of two easily forged documents in the employees file.

13. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Exactly. Unless you get a smart jury that realizes that a hiring officer should really be able to tell the difference between a real Soc. card and one that says Hasboro(R) on it.

14. PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy IncGamers Member

Illegal immigrants take these jobs because they are poor and can only work illegally ;they accept hard working conditions and very low wages because of poverty;anybody who is poor would accept to work hard and be exploited;chicanos are not specifically hard workers,it's just because they are poor/illegals that they work more for lessser wages

15. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

I used to mow lawns, pull weeds, and cut wood to make fence when I was younger. It was literally gruelling work in the sun and dust. At the end of the season, my hands would have calices. I get paid about $3 /hr at the most.

I saved up enough, got a beater car for $400. It was rewarding cuz I earned it.

What do kids get now a days? $300 gaming console, $15k Honda Civics, $150 sneakers...

Time are different. I can't find any kid willing to do any handy work. I don't plan on paying $20/hr to paint. So there's no takers. However, the guys that crowd around the mini mart parking lot are willing to do for $7-8/hr. Their work is immaculate. They clean up extremely well at the end of the day cuz they know I might be around the next day to look for them.

It's a don't ask don't tell policy. If I post a job for $8 to paint my fences and if a legit worker apply among a bunch of Mexicans, I'd give the job to someone's who's legit.

16. Panders

Panders IncGamers Member

I don't know about where you live...but around here $8/hr is pretty decent, if not good. pay for a teen. And most of the people I know would jump at $8/hr. For me, that pay is extremely reasonable for painting a friggin' fence. =P Myself, I'm 17 and work for $8/hr, and I can't complain one bit. But then again, I like working. It's also a nessecity if I am to buy my new guitar. =)

17. eddy

eddy Banned

Seriously, 8$/h is like a dollar above minimum up hear. If someone said to me "hey kid i need some stuff painted, hows 8/h?" i'd be in his car waiting to go.

18. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

You must be trying to hire help in a damn posh area because I know plenty of kids that would work for $7-8. I personally work for a little over $8 an hour while I'm at home, but when I'm down at college I work for about $6.50, and I picked up two jobs last year because I wanted more hours.

I really do think that it's all about where you are looking for work because while I know plenty of people that would work for some of the wages you listed. But if immigrants are willing to work, and you aren't undercutting them horribly because you can take advantage of them, go for it.

19. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

My parents hire a Mexican guy to do our garden. We don't really know if he is legal or not. But there isn't anyone else that is willing to do the work for $50 a month (Maybe 7 hours tops).

20. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

A employer is not responsible for figuring out if the documents the employee gives them are legit, therefore, if they are forged, even if badly forged, the employer has no obligation to turn them in. However, if the documents of citizenship and whatnot are not given, it is a crime to hire them.

Companies that exploit them, or people that exploit them are sick individuals, however, many companies give them equal pay to others in their position because they work hard. Anyone who would pay a immigrant less than anyone else should lose their business, it is racist in most cases, it gives legit people a unfair disadvantage, and its immoral.