Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would you adopt a Pit Bull?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Would you adopt a Pit Bull?

Went to the local animal shelter to look for another cat.

Noticed that 8 of 10 dogs and pups are pit bull or pit bull mixes. A few are really cute as pups. Really considered getting one but animal shelter said it's a lot of work and risks. Too many people ditch the pits at the shelters.

One pit bull dog in my neightborhood tore up another dog and its owner. I have young nephews and nieces visit me all the time so I don't want the dog to snap. I heard once they're in frenzy the owner has a hard time regaining control.

But they sure are cute.

2. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

No. But yeah, they are cute dogs.

3. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Like my boxer..they have to be raised in a loving environment. To play and let these dog "win" in any situation can casue problems later. Tho Boxers have a much better attitude in a general number. I know some personal that went on a duo, that killed several dogs and such before local cops took them out. Meanness is in any dog..if they are brought up to fear and hate.

Basically..dont beat this dog. I have beat my dog many times, and he has shown a little difference as hes gotten older. I have slacked off alot from that, and have went back to lesser punishments. But they will want to play..and like mine they love to fight. Just keep it civil and keep alot of toys for them. Should be fine. My nieghbor used to raise them, but he had problems with insurance and local people who basically went in his backyard and stuck their fingers in the fence. He relocated himself in the next town to avoid harrasment from locals. But he still love them. Very devoted dog to its family.

So as long as they are pups would be fine, never an fully grown one.

I just asked the wife..."wouldn't you adopt a Pit from a local shelter..and its just a pup"...quick answer "no"...couldn't get anything else out of her..so there ya have it...shes usually right in most situations. So no I guess..:(

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Pitbulls have been banned here.

5. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Well thats becasue its an American dog....nana nabooboo.

6. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Not a good idea. They're in the pound for a reason. Many pit bulls are bred to kill. In other words, one generation of treating them nice will not breed out their killer instinct. It will take several generations.

If you can't stand not having a cute pit bull, I suggest you buy one from a reputable breeder instead. Else that "Cujo" from the pound may grow up and eat one of your kids.

Besides, there are other cute dogs available. Go for a boxer. They're more guard dogs than psycho gladiator academy dogs.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

No dogs for me, ever, unless I live on at least 50 acres of my own land.

No pit bulls, especially. Neighbor had one that was the absolute best dog around, loved kids (she ran a day care) and one day an 8 year old kid was riding a bike past the house and the dog snapped. There were witnesses, the kid did absolutely nothing to warrant the attack.
    Her throat was torn open, thankfully missing the jugular and carotid, and she needed upwards of 120 stitches on and around her face to put her back together. She will have scars forever, emotional and physical.
    No freakin dogs. All it takes is once for a large animal with sharp teeth to lose it on a child with basically no natural defenses. Nope.

8. jimmyboy

May I suggest a miniature poodle?

9. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

First off I must say I do not find them cute at all. Second I would not touch one with a ten foot pole. I have worked with dogs most of the last ten years and I have known many a pitbull and none of them were what I would call a trustworthy dog. Worst part is that there are worst dogs out there then pitbulls. Too often these dogs are bought by people that are trying to replace a lack in the pelvic area, ie to show they have balls.

10. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

I was once attacked by a bull terrier. Funny story actually, there was a black bull terrier(I think) next to my house. I was about 7 or 8. My brother made a barking noise I thought it was the dog so I ran in the house.

I came back out and a few minutes later I heard another bark and I thought it was my brother but no, guess what he done he ran in the house and locked the door. The dog ran up to my veranda and attacked me, even bit me in the ass. There were no scars though it was quite bad.

Can you imagine that? Your brother locking the door on you.

Anyway on the otherside my neightbours had a pit bull that was quite nice.

11. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

no but i would shoot one...probably a few irresponsible owners too

12. corax

corax IncGamers Member

are you crazy. the dog in the cujo movie was actually 17 miniature poodles taped together.

If the pit bulls were young pups no more than a few months old then I would get one, however i dont think they are that cute either, so i wouldnt get one.
    But if i thought they were cute I would get one.

so your going to keep children away from adults?

13. theBlackKnight

theBlackKnight IncGamers Member

I got bit in the butt by a goose when I was seven.

Goose > pitbull.

14. jimmyboy

A similar incident happened to my dad when he was a kid - getting bit in the ass by a dog. But then he went to the market, got a melon, boiled it, then coated it with chicken skin and thew it to that dog to eat. And ... then all of the dog's teeth fell out.

15. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Don't get the dog. Strong jaws + uncertain tempermeant + somebody didn't want it = trouble. I own a German Shepherd. There is no way I would own any dog--much less one that is strong enough to hurt me or someone dear to me--without being able to meet one and preferably two parents and check their bloodlines.

Dogs, like people, are a culmination of genetics and environment. I have no idea what kind of environment you will raise him in, but are you really willing to chance a pit when you have no idea whether its parents were good dogs or not? Even if it isn't agressive or shy or insane (which it might be,) you are taking a chance on hereditary health problems. If you want a dog, if you want a pit, find a reputable breeder and pay the price. It is cheaper in the long run.

16. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

Is there such thing with the pseudo-breed of pitbulls?

I wouldn't get a pitbull because of three things working against them. One, from what I can see, there is virtually no respectable breeding program. Even if there is, the majority of them are just bred willy-nilly. Two, they have a not-too-distant history of dog fighting and a trait of dog-aggressiveness. (From what I've read they are not generally aggressive, just dog-aggressive. Attacks on children are more a result of poor raising and breeding in general.)Three, they have the tools to do a lot of damage.

It is the combination of these three factors that make them a poor and dangerous choice for a dog. Now, I have a rescue-shelter golden retriever- chow and an English Bulldog. Both these dogs have some of the traits listed above, but I'm quite sure they are not dangerous. I have no idea of the golden-chow's specific heritage, but his breeds do not have a history of fighting. The bulldog certainly has the same tools at his disposal to inflict significant damage and bulldogs do have a history of aggression and fighting, ableit a long time ago. I'm confident in the bulldog because they've been breed to be non-aggressive the past 100 years and I got him from a very reputable breeder.

It isn't a trait of the breed itself, but the people that typically want pitbulls are also the type of people that don't take the time to properly train the dog and establish themselves (the people) as the alphas of the pack. They're also not the type to spend the time to locate a respectable breeder (if they exist) and pay the price. I'd put money on it that the dog in Mixed's scenario had a dominance problem and considered himself the alpha. The fact that we've spent many, many hours in training with our dogs and that we've made sure to establish dominance also gives me confidence in the relative safeness of our dogs.

17. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I would not rule out owning one.

But it's not my first choice.

18. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

That's one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while.

19. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

so did your wife or child write this post?

20. corax

corax IncGamers Member

geese are truly the nastiest of all animals. I have many not fond memories of being savaged by geese. now im big enough to hold my own im returning to that park to kick some bird ass

In native African tribes getting bitten on the ass by a Gorilla is a sign of cowardice because it shows you ran away