Would this hammerdin be terrible?

Skrigg

Diabloii.Net Member
Would this hammerdin be terrible?

Ok so Ive read about how rich hammerdins need to be to be successful and based on the following list of gear, would it be worth making a hammerdin now or should i wait until i get better gear?

Wizardspike
Guardian Angel
Spirit Shield
Frostburns
Insight for merc.
+1 helm
+2 Combat amulet

That would be my base starting gear, would this pally be able to solo hell easily or should i wait? If i should wait, what would I need to add to this to be where I can do baal run's solo with little problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Would this hammerdin be terrible?

umm..

Hammerdins don't need any uber gear to be effective. They are the most overpowered chars/builds in the whole game. And with your gear, you'll easily solo hell, but don't expect to be hosting 8 player games Baal running.

JSmoove

Diabloii.Net Member

I started my hammerdin this new season with the exact gear minus g angel (I am currently wearing a crappy mf armor) He's lv 84 now and is pretty much unstoppable in 1 player and can hold his own in a full game.

The only suggestion that I would give from my playing experience is that you dont need an insight merc at all. With frosties and wizzy, u get plenty of mana (about 1k now). It'll replenish itself faster than you can use up. As a matter of fact, I just switched to a mf gloves since I figured I didn't really need the mana. If it runs low on you somehow, just use redemption or meditation.

Here are my stats approx
1.3k health
550 mana
hammer dmg 5.5k
resis 75 all (w/o salvation)
def 3k w/ holy shield(1 hard pt)

ThomasJohnsen

Diabloii.Net Member

Wizardspike
Guardian Angel
Spirit Shield
Frostburns
Insight for merc.
+1 helm
+2 Combat amulet
My hammerdin on last ladder [hardcore] was similar (but cheaper), and relied almost exclusively on selffound items:

Rockstopper
Dual spirits (Crystal Sword and [email protected] Royal Shield)
Guardian Angel
Rare Gloves with some res and a little dex and mf
String of Ears
Raven + Rare Ring with 10%fcr and some res and mf
Rare Amulet with +1 paladin skills, some dex and some res
Waterwalks

I focused on high res/damage reduction/fast hit recovery to avoid dying (dying in hardcore is a big nono). I settled for the damage that the gear could provide, and a 75 fcr, and to my surprise, he was able to solo hell quite easily. Though with more than 3 people in the game, the damage output was a bit too low to be satisfactory.
But upgrading him is easily done later on: For instance Whizzy+Shako can help you reach 125 fcr (for a remarkably better damage output).

Skrigg

Diabloii.Net Member

Just an update here as the OP. My paladin is now level 80 and doing really well. He solo's hell quite easily. My Problem now is without things like a shako and such, im trying to find a good balance between putting some mf gear on him (currently 110%) and keeping his FCR (currently 125%) and damage up.

Also without teleport im wondering if its even worth it to mf on him when i can do 3 minute meph runs on my sorc that has 250 mf. He is so much fun to play though. I just wish my merc would stay alive.