Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Would my Javazon survive hell?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Norre, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

Would my Javazon survive hell?

Hi!

I got bored of playing Barb for the 5287924:th time and decided to go for a Javazon for PvM for a change.

im going to play with
    Javelin&Spear Tree
    20 Power Strike
    20 Charged Strike
    20 Lightning Strike
    20 Lightning Fury
    19 Lightning Bolt
    +3 Prereq's

Passive&Magic tree
    1 Slow Missiles
    1 Critical Strike
    1 Penetrate
    1 Pierce
    1 Dodge
    1 Evade
    1 Avoid
    1 Inner Sight (prereq)
    Total Skillspoints used: 110
    ofcourse im probably gonna be finished with that when diablo3 is out but W/E a few less points in Lightning Bolt wont hurt that much.

i have been looking over gear+skills as usual (dont care bout the retalents, i play old school where 1 mistake = new char xD) and is wondering if this gear would be viable in hell as an all-around char. (not specificly doing cow-runs only)

Shield Spirit- Runeword: Monarch Shield
    Body Armor-Chains of Honor Runeword: Archon Plate
    Helm- Griffon's eye
    Amulet- Highlord's Wrath
    Ring1- Raven frost
    Ring2- Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band
    Belt- Razortail
    Boots- Silkweave
    Weapon- I am not sure whenever Titan's Revenge or Thunderstroke would be best, but i guess i can trade myself to either 1 of them, hopefully.

this would give me (in normal without act5 resistance scrolls)
    135 light res
    120 cold res
    100 poision res
    65 fire res
    aswell as 65 FHR which is enough for 6 frames i belive, and 50 FCR for 14 frames (for whatever its worth, i got no enigma anyway) and 20 IAS (35 if Thunderstroke) and +7 all skills (9 if Titan's Revenge) and +2-4 Javelin&Spear Skills (also dependant on wep)
    With 1 point in Pierce+7 from gear = 65% pierce
    With Razortail thats +33%
    total of 98% pierce.. close enough

IMO for being end-game gear this feels a bit low for me, but i cant find anyway to boost res without losing IAS/+skills and i cant boost IAS/+skills without losing FHR/mass defense etc. etc.
    Also i havent tested it yet, i have only watched the numbers, if this is good in reality and im just being paranoid then please sayso :crazyeyes:

If you have any advice of other gear which may be helpful, another way of distributing skills or W/E please help me out xD

Now be easy on me, i havent played D2 for like 3 or 4 years, so im sorry if i made any mistakes etc etc.

PS: is a lvl 8/10 valkyrie worth sacrificing 2 points in Lightning Bolt? or should i screw Lightning Bolt completely and get an 18 point Valkyrie (+7/9) instead? losing a synergy alltogheter.

PPS: wtf is a poll? xD not used to posting on forums;P this is my first actualy:nod:

EDIT: The reason gloves is not listed is because according to what ive heard there is no top end Unique Gloves, so im aiming for decent magical/rare gloves which is hard to take into the calculation.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Re: Would my Javazon survive hell?

If you can get griffon i assume infi too, in which case it will totally tear up hell lol. Even without it anything not lightning immune will drop extremely fast

3. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

As far as i know Javelins aren't possibly found socketed, nor able to become socketed with Lazruk's Socket quest, which makes Runeworded Javelins impossible?
    If im gonna use infi i need to use spear which make my Javazon a Spearzon.
    But i will consider it.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Also wouldnt a Javazon and a Spearzon require different builds? Considering that Javazons use Lightning Fury which is unusable while using spears.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Yeah but infi on merc that way it helps

5. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

Thats true.
    And im guessing its the all to common Act2 might merc that is preffered for a Javazon? or would a Holy Freeze merc be advised?

6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

might for power against immunes, holy freeze if he dies too much

7. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

Im kinda confused on some aspects of the gear selection; you listed griffs but you'll wear gloom instead of coh or nig? And no mention of merc infinity, in which case how will you deal with immunes unless you do nothing but cows? Jabbing them one by one with your non eth, non upped titans would be slooow... Between the 2 ammys I'd stick with highlord's, specially since you don't seem to have any other source of ias. Also, with enough +skills you could get away with using a different belt to make up other stats and still maintain over 75% pierce, which is enough to me. Anyhow, you would defnitely survive even with crappier gear and botched skill selection, but this setup just doesn't seem optimal considering what you seem to be willing to invest in the build.. I highly recommend going with a fishyzon unless you can get that infinity, or want to settle with avoiding areas with immunes, or plan on dealing with them quite slowly. Just my 2 cents :p

8. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

1.Act 2 Offensive Nightmare equipped with Infinity/Fort/Andys visage.

2. Titans for general Play and Tstrokes for charged strike. I use 20/20 Jmod and Tstrokes for charged strike and titans/SS or spirit for running around. Upped and eth titans if you can get them.

3 Torch + Anni for +4 skills and alot of res

4.CoH instead of gloom.

5. Sandstorm treks beat the hell out of silkweaves.

6. Raven + High mana leech with + mana ring coupled with highlords.

9 Frame i think is more than enough for pvm.

7. 3 Jav skills 20 ias gloves or 2 jav 20 ias Str/Dex mana leech gloves.

9. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

I think griffons is a waste on a java zon. I prefer andys with ias/fire resist jewel in it. To hit ias breakpoint while obtaining more +skills.

10. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

I did not mention my merc at all in the first post, and i got the suggestion of using a merc using Infinity shortly after so it is in the post under ^^.
    The 2 ammys was a typo, i am going with highlords, to be honest i dont know how mara's got there to begin with :whistling: .
    and with enough +skills do you mean Ama skillers? Because i dont have any at the time and was hoping to go without them for awhile, and what other belt then? Thundergods vigor?
    I am going to continue my Javazon ;P and i will get that infinity, and i will not avoid areas with immunities xD but do you have any other advice as of how to improve my character? It will probably be my main one untill D3 get's released. Or the new ladder start (like if...)

Thanks for the 2 cents, if 49 more posts their opinion i just earned myself a dollar.

1. Ok, so might>holy freeze even though a javazon does not benefit that much from the +dmg?

2. Blah, i gotta fix both? Qq

3. Will do, is it essential to acquire them early on (and getting less str+dex) or can they be self-found without nerfing the character to much?

4. I cannot belive how i could miss Chains of Honor. Thanks alot, i also thank MFDeath for this advice (he kinda beat u to it ;P)

5. As this will be my first 30+ Ama im not sure how mana intense they are, will the -mana per kill be noticeable and i will need mana pots? i though it would but ill take the sandstorms for a ride if i ever find a pair/is able to trade some.

6. So Bul Katho's Wedding Ring wont do? Should i exchange this for Stone of Jordan (no mana leech but a healthy +mana and some extra lightning damage to boot) or would Manald Heal win here due to mana steal?

7. 9 frames? Is that for FHR? Then i would only need 13% for a Javazon (i belive, i havent done any testing im relying on someone else's thread on this1)

8. With the gloves i will probably not aim for anything in particular, every rare/magical pair that drops i will pick up and identify to check in hopes of something supperior than what i currently have :cloud9:

Thanks for the Tips!

Really? Everywhere i turn i always hear Griffons is the optimal choice for a Javazon. Also the -enemy lightres and the +light dmg seems to be better than 20 IAS and +1 skill. Also with my already low res (especialy to fire...) wouldnt -30 fire res (since i got such a low fire res...) really kill me in hell? (since i got so low fire res...) Where there will be more mods on bosses, like Fire enchanted. (due to my increadibly low fire res...) however i guess this could be counterd by with +fire res charms or something, or as u said a fire resist jewel, but i dont know exactly how much +that gives.
    Thanks for the advice

11. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

I would like to point out for further posters, doesnt this seem a bit low? as there is a -100 resistance penalty in Hell diff it would bring all res's to very low values. It sounds very low to me, however this is my first Javazon at high lvl so i do not know if this is good/decent/bad.

I would also appreciate if somebody gave me some cents on this matter, i have read that the valkyrie gets an increadible tank at later lvls, but with low-med dmg output, and an annoying AI. Would this be like another merc which you cannot equip? (like in classic d2 b4 LoD was released)

12. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Answering your initial question, yes, you can survive Hell with that.

If you want a balanced, semi-high budget setup, try:

Weapon: Titan's Revenge
    Shield: Jeweler's Monarch of Deflecting (2x 5/-5 facets and 2x MPK/IAS jewels)
    Switch: 'Call to Arms' / 'Spirit' Monarch
    Helm: Griffon's Eye (MPK/IAS)
    Armor: 'Chains of Honor'
    Gloves: Lancer's __ of Alacrity
    Belt: Razortail
    Boots: Silkweave
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Ring: Raven Frost
    Ring: The Stone of Jordan
    Charms: Annihilus, Hellfire Torch, Harpoonist's GCs, Mana/Life SCs
    NM Offensive Mercenary: 'Infinity', 'Fortitude', Andariel's Visage

EDIT: If you aren't much for safe playing, you'll want some FHR from your charms as well. Not that much is needed, but it'll help. Check the breakpoint tables.

If you want to MF, slap on a Gheed's Fortune and some SCs as you see fit. The setup gives you max resist, max Pierce, enough IAS, more than enough damage, and extremely good mana management.

The mercenary can handle immunes. Using ethereal, upgraded Titan's Revenge can lead to problems as far as running out of javelins, and your damage won't be that great anyway on a javazon. If you really want a build that can contribute against immunes, go look up Kijya's Gunslinger.

Also, I don't like Valkyrie, but only because I don't like D/A/E, and how they often do more harm than good.

13. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Valk isnt a good idea to get in pvm(for making runs anyway), because it requires D/A/E and those tend to make tele lock up. And as for CoH? Please :rolleyes:

14. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

Thanks! i will try that out.

You mentoin that a Javazon wont do that much damage? Is this compared to a Spearzon/Bowzon or compared to other chars?
    And thanks on the tip on the Valkyrie.

Thanks, will skip it then^^

15. NagisaFurukawa

I meant your physical damage won't be that great unless you build a certain way. A javazon's lightning is just about unstoppable. There are other ways to build a solid javazon, so don't take what I say as an end-all either. Build to your tastes. :)

16. Norre

Norre IncGamers Member

Ah, of course^^ i was aware of the lack of any real physical damage.
    And i wont take your word as an answer to everything, i wont take anyones word as an answer to anything, but i will keep it in mind ^^
    Thanks for the clearup!

17. MFDeath

MFDeath IncGamers Member

I find an upped eth titans with a might merc will give respectable phys damage... My jab hits well over 2k using just that, and with enough ias it really adds up.
    As far as the valk goes, I've tried both with and without, but to me the D/E/A is seriously annoying, bordering on downright frustrating (respec will fix that). IMO D/E/A is definitely better suited for bowies who can't block.

18. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Well norre I meant a 15 ias jewel with high fire resist on it to socket in andys. Griffons is expensive and not worth sacraficing +skills for -elr. Infinity does good enough. I prefer maxing out my ias and getting as many +skills as possible. Another way to get fire resist is aldurs boots if you were wondering how im expecting to get my fire resist. Remember more bolts and damage>-elr for sure.

19. NagisaFurukawa

If you aren't going to get -ELR, you're limiting the usefulness of 'Infinity' significantly. -ELR is what allows you to deal significant damage to those monsters whose lightning immunities are broken by 'Infinity'. In any case, the +10-20% and -15-25% on Griffon's Eye give more damage than multiple + skills.

As far as ethereal upgraded Titan's Revenge in conjunction with a Might mercenary, it does deal significant damage (mine is 3.2k max with 'Enigma', more with 'Fortitude'), but it does get annoying when you run out of javelins / need to swap them around, and the mercenary gets the job done eventually anyway.

20. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Id rather use 5/40 self replenish javs. Heres my plan of gear:
    andys 15 ias/30 fire resist jewel
    maras
    5/40 self replenish javs (as I just mentioned)
    coh
    spirit mon
    3/20 gloves
    bk/raven
    arach
    aldurs boots

Here I hit the 90% ias bp of 2.7 attacks per second with tons of bolts. Each bolt=10k and that is too much to lose. But we all have opinions.