Worth upgrading?

St_Vitruvius

Diabloii.Net Member
Worth upgrading?

I've been looking at the trades on B.net and see that people generally prefer Etheral Items over normal Items.

I can see the point regarding items for mercs, indestructible items and selfrepairing items..

Now I've found an etheral Guardian Angel and wonder if it's worth it to upgrade it and put an Um rune into it.. But I feel it'll just be a waste, as it eventually will be destroyed..

Is it worth the runes or should I use it until I find a normal one?
I don't suppose there IS some hidden way to repair etheral items, no?

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
no there's no hidden way to repair eth stuff. Using on merc/Selfrepair/indestruc makes some eth weapons preferable, while some other items simply don't break when used the way they are intended; like caster weapons, or when using an eth spirit monarch on switch with your CTA. Reason to use eth ones in this case would be their lower reqs.

As for duriels I'd vote not to waste upgrade + um on it. For the runes alone you could probably buy/make a better armour.

Arutha

Diabloii.Net Member
Now that's the first I've ever heard of lower reqs on ethereal items. Is that true? What are they lowered by? 15%?
Its true but I don't think it is 15% since eth up'd shaft requires 148 str and a non eth boneweave requires 158 str its more like 6% less, I think.

Edit: hmmm now that I look at some of my other ethereal items I notice that on eth vortex shield, eth up shaft, and eth valor they all require 10 less str so either is a coincidence or instead of a set % ethereal armors require 10 less str, although that is about ~6% on each of those items.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member
Its true but I don't think it is 15% since eth up'd shaft requires 148 str and a non eth boneweave requires 158 str its more like 6% less, I think.
Interesting. I've just never noticed before. I guess I have an eth bonehew and a regular bonehew on a couple mercs. So, I should be able to check tonight what the difference is. That's if I remember.

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
yes it's -10 on str and dex reqs iirc, not much but indeed something too keep in mind when planning stat tight chars :wink3: