Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Worth Upgrading this Crossbow?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Sin-Kii, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Sin-Kii

Sin-Kii IncGamers Member

Worth Upgrading this Crossbow?

(Ladder)

A rare crossbow with attributes:
    5% chance to cast amplified damage when attacking.
    356% Enhanced Damage
    138 to Attack Rating
    5% Mana Stolen per Hit
    11 to Mana

Clearly the enhanced damage is the only bonus of note. If I were to upgrade the weapon to exceptional, and then elite, I believe its maximum damage would come to about 400.

I'm new to the expansion, however, unfamiliar with the "cost" of the runes involved in the class upgrades, and whether their value would amount to more than the final product in this instance. The answer may be obvious, I don't know...but it any case, I could use some advice.

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Is this item simply labelled as "crossbow"?. If it is it will upgrade eventually to an elite form called the gorgon crossbow which has a base speed of zero. Putting on 68% IAS will get you to a 3.5 frame strafe (13 frames for first shot, 3.5 frames for each shot of the rest of the cycle, 25 frames in a second). This should be more than sufficient speed for a weapon that will have massive damage AND amp damage. Pair it with high pierce and you will have power that should beat out a buriza, and more attack rating too!

114-396.72 damage would be damage in elite (gorgon crossbow) form. Quite nice for a 3.5 frame strafe! Now if it isn't a "crossbow" and is for example a heavy crossbow, well that changes everything.

3. Sin-Kii

Sin-Kii IncGamers Member

Yes, a standard crossbow.

Sounds good, then. Thanks for the help.

4. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Eh.. Decent cruels arent that rare so you might wanna save the runes and look for a cruel Cho-ko-nu to upgrade.

r u sure the %to AMP is on Attack not Striking? zon is the 1 class were striking is better than attack because of the mulit shot and piercing attacks.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I don't know what you are talking about but saying "on attack" is the same thing asw saying "on striking" so yes this thing will trigger 5% of the time when any attack from this bow connects with the opponent even if it was a druid wielding it in melee while in shapewshift form.

As for cruels they can't compare to this if they tried. Near 400% ED, amp and AR awesome in all ways.

6. Oriontwo

Oriontwo IncGamers Member

Ok, now I'm not new, I just havent played in like a year and a half. Yesterday was my first time on 1.10 patch so I dont remember alot about the technical aspects of the game. You guys talked about upgrading weapons. How do you do that, can someone give me a link to where it says, or can one of you tell me please? Thanks :thumbsup:

7. Broncobiv2

Broncobiv2 IncGamers Member

In the Horadric Cube:

1 Ral Rune + 1 Sol Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Normal Unique Weapon = Exceptional Version of Weapon
    1 Tal Rune + 1 Shael Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Normal Unique Armor = Exceptional Version of Armor
    1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (LADDER ONLY)
    1 Ko Rune + 1 Lem Rune + 1 Perfect Diamond + Exceptional Unique Armor = Elite Version of Armor (LADDER ONLY)
    1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon
    1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Normal (Basic) Rare Armor = Exceptional Rare Armor
    1 Fal Rune + 1 Um Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Exceptional Rare Weapon = Elite Rare Weapon
    1 Ko Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Amethyst + Exceptional Rare Armor = Elite Rare Armor
    Cube Recipes

8. Anidem

Anidem Banned

It is stated that the only stat or consequence is the 400 ed.

Crossbow; Dam 9-14 weapon speed 0
    (vs)
    Cho ko nu; Dam 14-32 Weapon speed -60

Even given a 100ed advantage the Cruel (assume 300ed) Cho-ko-nu will do 56-128 base damage to the 4oo ed crossbow base damage of 45-70 plus the amount of ias saved. which could free up sockets for other uses.

So if he is in it for the damage isn't he is better off with the cho. or do i misunderstand the math?

P.s. Omni thx for answering my Demon machine ias thread!

9. Krime

Krime IncGamers Member

Anidem, you're not taking into account that he wants to upgrade the crossbow. If he does decide to do so, then the crossbow will become a gorgon crossbow, which will have a base dmg of 25-87 + 400% = 125 - 435 dmg (if it was a 400% ed weapon). Now, with the amp. dmg, that will yield in ~900 max dmg when it shoots of, quite a lot more than the 56-128 on the cho-ku-nu :p

cya, Krime

10. Anidem

Anidem Banned

well said krime. I forgot how badly underpowered the demon crossbow upgrade was untill I looked it up. I figured if it was close the fire rate was so much better it would requir much less Ias therefore open up more spaced for ed and the such. espically for a strafer.

11. Oriontwo

Oriontwo IncGamers Member

Thanks man!