Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Worth unsocketing shaeffers

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by jart, Mar 29, 2004.

1. jart

jart IncGamers Member

Worth unsocketing shaeffers

Hi Guys,

My primary char is a pally zealot (love him). I am not rich, but i am not poor - i have enough decent gear to kit out two full chars (other is a bone necro).

A month ago I happened to have a bit of luck (had kept just the right combination of odd set / uniq items) and managed to get my hands on a 127% shaeffers. About a week later I found what I thought to be the best jewel that I could hope to PERSONALLY find - and IAS/8min dmg jewel. I socketed this into my shaeffers.

Just traded an eth elite from the Pit for a 29%ed/IAS jewel. Should I unsocket my shaeffers with the cube recipe and resocket with this new jewel? Will it make that much of a difference (I know that ppl say weap ed is much better than other ed)? I haven't had the opportunity in the past to have many decent ED jewels.

Skills/stats - basically 27fanat/30zeal/22sacrifice/205str

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

If your main char is your Zealot, you'll want the "best" gear for him. So, if you can trade that jewel for something usefull for him. If you got all you need for your pally, then socket it into your Schaffer's.
    I socketed a 27%ed/15IAS into an ethereal Phase Blade and I'm very happy now. 175-205 is the most damaging weapon I've ever had.

3. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

What are you talking about? Phase Blades cant be Ethereal, unless you upgraded a rare/ghinters.

4. Loboleal

Of course it's a rare one. I thought it was clear :).

5. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

ouch, must be a killer weapon then, whats the ed?

Well anyway, ontopic, personally I wouldnt use such a jewel on shaeffers, instead I'd wait for a better weapon and leave the shaeffers as it is now.

6. Any1

Any1 Banned

Here is the damage formula:

Physical Damage = { [ (Base Damage)*(1 + on-weapon ED) ] + max/min }*(1 + off-weapon ED/100 + Str/100 + skill ED/100 + aura ED/100)

On-weapon ED gets multiplied by all other ED boost factors (i.e. str, skill, aura, etc.). Off-weapon ED will only get added to the other ED boosters. the added physical damage by another 35% to on-weapon ED will be nice.

slvl 30 Zeal: 156% ED
    slvl 27 Fanat: 492% ED
    slvl 12 Sacrifice (?): 144% ED (+ skills don't work on synergies)
    Strength need 189 for Schaeffer: 189% ED

Total "other" ED boosters: 981%

Legendary Mallet Base Damage: 55.5 average

55.5 * 0.35 * 10.81 ~ 210

210 is the total average damage you gain with the jewel.

The question is whether the extra 15% IAS help get you to a speed BP? As you know, you'll need another 100% IAS to reach a 4-frame attack (Zeal + Fanat), with a Schaefer's. I'm assuming you already have at least 85% IAS from gear and the other 15% from the jewel will get you to the BP.

If all this is true, then go ahead and unsocket that puppy.

7. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Put the ed/ias jewel in your armor or helm if you can. Wait till you find a Lo rune for your sheaffers. personly I would have shealed the sheaffers till I had a Lo rune.

You need 120% ias from items to get a 4 fps zeal with shaffers. I there was a post about how to make a sheaffers zealot realy realy good. A long time ago. They had to use a 160/60 ias armor.

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

My zealot does quite well even in 8 players hell without some freakin 160/60 armor. 120% IAS is achievable without that armor without too many sacrifices. Put a shael in the hammer, 20% on gloves (eg. laying of hands), highlords (20%), 15% jewel in helm, 15% jewel in armor and nosferatu's coil (10%). That's 120 right there (counting schaffer's original 20% bonus).

9. xpumafangx

Yes very true omikron. But I would not want to duel you with that set up. You have a slow item.

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

What in the hell is wrong with people these days. You so much as mention an equipment setup with good items and people automatically assume pvp. A 4 fps zeal is very much desirable in pvm too.

11. YomoKimyata

YomoKimyata IncGamers Member

I spent a lot of time going over how to gain 100% IAS outside the weapon slot (need the socket for a ZOD). My best effort was:

Highlords + Andy's Visage socketed with 10 resist all/15% IAS + 20% IAS gloves + 15% IAS socketed armor + 15% IAS socketed shield. I could save one armor/shield socket by going with Nos coil, but I guess the slow is BM in dueling.

12. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

youve never had a weapon with over 205 dmg..but yet u have the means to upgrade a rare into elite...interesting

13. Loboleal

The fact is that it's my only exceptional-to-elite upgrade. I really wanted that ethereal Phase Blade. And it lets me hit at 4 fpa with no more IAS (Fana active, of course).

14. xpumafangx

Yes it is Omikron. But there is other ways to do that with out using a slow item. Not only that every time I hear some one say that they're careter is pvsm. 2 days latter I hear about them using it for dueling. I don't know, I guess your just defent.

But don't think I am being rude or any thing. Back when that post was done I said that they sould use a stealskull with a 15% ias jewel giving them like 25%. I was flamed all the H_ _ _ for it from gohan. My ideal would have worked and so will yours. I was just stating a better one with the 160/60% ias. It was then and it is now.

Was it needed???? no

15. jart

jart IncGamers Member

Thanks and new question

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still not 100% decided what to do yet. :)

My pally is purely PvM and will never duel. I found that 4fpa is much more effective and fun that 5fpa. Someone once said that once you try 4fpa, you won't go back - I, personally, would agree with that.

My setup is similar to one that was suggested re: IAS - shaeffers (35%), gloves (20%), ammy (20%), helm (35%) & armour (15%) for a total of 125% (only 120% needed).

Going to concentrate for the moment on trading for an IAS/FireRes jewel so that I can resocket my guardian angel (currently 15%ias/16stamina :) and negate some of the -30% fire res of Andy's helm and free up some of those 7% fire res charms :)

New Question: (sorry for the long post).

I just hit lvl89 last night - hooray - and will probably only get to level 90 (can't stand mindless baal runs, so it has taken me 1.5 weeks to go from **-->89 while helping strangers through hell). I have 9 free skill point, which will be 10 by lvl90. Where would you suggest that I put them.

Other info.
    1. I currently use charge to get around (so I haven't invested in vigor at all) - in fact no defensive aura skills.
    2. With a cost of only 2 mana, zeal means that I pretty much never have a mana prob, even if I get mana drained to zero, one normal attack hit to a non-undead critter and the ball is more than full enough to keep zealing.
    3. Sacrifice synergy is currently at 13 points.

Possible investments:
    a) Invest in the one point wonders and get vigor and redemption (cost: 5 points)
    b) Invest in sactuary for the ability to leech from undead (cost: 5 points)
    c) Dump points into Sacrifice for the extra 12%dmg / level (cost: up to 7 points)
    d) Invest points in Resist Fire (cost: 10 points) for passive increase to max fire res (1% per 2 levels). This would give me pally fire/cold/lightning/pois res of 95/90/95/95. :) At the moment he doesn't really have a prob with any fire dmg so this might be a waste.
    e) Combination of the above.

As always, your input is much appreciated.

16. Any1

Any1 Banned

I'm not sure what your skill investment is exactly, anyway:

I suggest maxing Sacrifice, for Zeal physical damage synergy.

or

Putting points into Holy Shield, for Defense and blocking, if you haven't already.

or

Putting points into Defiance as a synergy to Holy Shield.

The difference between 90% and 95% Fire Resist is not that great. Aside from DC, no one does anywhere near that kind of damage. In case of DC, absorb works better than another 5% resist. Just switch some gear in that case.

17. jart

jart IncGamers Member

Thanks for that any1. Didn't know that defiance synergised with HS. :) Don't know how I missed that one. Given the stats below, do you think it wiser to get the extra 150% enhance def (10 x defiance) or the extra 120% enhanced dmg (10 x sacrifice)?

Forgot that I hadn't listed the skill setup of my pally.

JHS_Victor
    Lvl89

Skills: (before +skills/after)
    20/29 zeal
    20/29 holy shield
    20/27 fanat
    13/22 sacrifice
    10/17 resist lightning
    1/10 prereqs for holy shield (4) + vengeance
    1/8 prereqs for fanat (3)
    9 skill points left over

Stats: (after items)
    Str/Dex/Vit/En 200/120/196/30
    50 stat points left over
    1506-3918 Zeal dmg with fanat
    13036 def with HS (75% block and a chance to be hit that varies from about 18-23%)
    1236 life
    256 mana
    90/79/95/95 resists

Charms:
    Geared predominantly to cold and fire res. Little bit of life.

Hope this helps in tailoring any advice given. TIA again.

18. Any1

Any1 Banned

I don't know about which is "wiser". However, I'm a more offensive player, so I would pump Sacrifice.

19. jart

jart IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say you were offensive, in fact you have been very helpful :) LOL

My choice has narrowed to between pumping points into Defiance or Sacrifice.

Can anyone tell me what my % to be hit would go down by if I pumped 10 points into Holy Shield? It would boost my def from about 13K to just under 17K. TIA again.

20. xpumafangx

I agree with any1. That just sounds strange..... Max sac if you haven't yet. The zealot guild at the top is the best thing you will find when it comes to making zealots.
    max sac
    max zeal
    max fant
    max holy sheild
    rest is up to you

I do feel that for a pure zealot you want to go with blessed aim for its 5% passive per skill point added.
    If you add to smite you become a smealot like me.
    Witch is just fine as well. But just dump the rest in it.