Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Worst" - most displeasing - movie you've seen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, May 3, 2015.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I was a little surprised that this wasn't already posted. There's "worst movie ever created" and "most disgusting/shocking movie scene" but I'm considering quality movies that you found unpleasant or otherwise difficult to watch.

I'm not sure I want to watch it again, but my 1st pick is The Road (think I mentioned this before).

I'm not sure I had the right impression since I last watched it as a child, but my 2nd pick would be Raging Bull.

I'm not going to include Tetsuo as a third pick because I thought it was pretty crappy, rather than something that was aiming high.

LozHinge the Unhinged likes this.
  2. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

A few years ago, I watched Zombieland. I rather enjoyed it and it doesn't belong in this thread. I mention only because of the fact that a week or two later, I watched Stakeland. Shall we say, I didn't get the movie that Zombieland prepared me for.

Stakeland
    was unpleasant to begin with and steadily became harder and harder to watch, at least for me. It ended on a note I found somewhat distressing.

I have this movie recorded on my TV planner, awaiting a second viewing. I need to know whether I was just in the wrong frame of mind for it or if it is as dire (in more ways than one) as I remember it.

As for The Road ... well, I could have gone my whole life without watching it, and benefitted thereby. Hey, I love an apocalypse as much as the next guy but dat shit was cold.

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I've seen plenty of bad kid movies, but that's not really fair, so I don't mention them.

But the one that always stands out as the worst movie I've seen was A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt0212720/

Of course it's been like 12 years, but I remember it being like 3 hours of slow, boring, overly insisting upon itself nonsense.

I'll try to think of some other awful movies, but I generally don't watch a lot of movies, so I chose carefully.

4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'm the opposite, I'll watch just about anything and it's pretty rare that would I walk out of the theater (not that I watch much pre-DVD these days).

Try coming up with a movie which you know was "good" or at least OK but the effect on you was greater than that it just didn't entertain. I could list plenty of movies I felt were stupid (I've hated most horror-comedies and what passes for slapstick in contemporary American movies) or worthless (Avatar) but the two I listed were downright unpleasant to watch.

The reason I thought of this thread is a clickbait I'd seen at work; I'll post it if I can find it again. Pretty sure it included "Bad Lieutenant" which I thought was ugly but entertaining nonetheless.

I still remember a scene with blood spray in "Raging Bull" that absolutely repelled me, and I <LIKE> MMA...

5. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Don't know if this counts but I was really displeased by the 2011 Green Hornet film. I expected an action film but instead it was a "comedy" with hardly any action at all. Looking at the posts at IMDB it seems opinions are split right down the middle- love it or hate it.

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The worst movie which I ever saw in a cinema was Hot Shots 2, although that's not a "quality movie". It was the only time I left the theatre. That was in 1993, however.

When considering recent movies, then Hobbit 3 was pretty silly. I wouldn't call it awful, but Peter Jackson forgot that it's not overdoing only if the Japanese do it.

7. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I thought of a dozen movies when I saw the thread title. None of them really fits the criteria of "generally acknowledged as good but made you recoil in disgust," except:

Forrest Gump. Sappy boomer flick about an idiot living in "interesting times". Preposterous story fueled by rose-tinted nostalgia. Shameless tripe. 10/10 - IGN.

Runner up: Anything with Oliver Stone's name attached. That dude is like the Rob Liefeld of movie-making.

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You've got exactly what I was hoping for. Gump was a 'good' movie by all accounts (though I tend to agree with you about the over-hyped nature).

Not sure I really agree - I thought both Salvador and Platoon were reasonable, and Wall Street was passable if childish.

I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned 2001 or The Shining yet. Some people absolutely loathe them.

9. LozHinge the Unhinged

2001 was very much of its time and, once ground-breaking, it hasn't aged well. The Shining was and is a masterpiece, and very nearly did full justice to the book.

I feel like I have a whole list of movies I could contribute to this thread, if only I could bring them to mind.

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Stephen King strenuously disagrees. But then, he's a decrepit douche-nozzle who thinks the way Dear Leader does (that he's a better "X" than professional "X"-men).
    Decrepit brain cells are remedied by the Internetz.

EDIT - speaking of which: "The Mist", a fun short sci-fi horror story by the aforementioned douche-nozzle, turned with some directorial assistance into an anti-American, anti-Military, anti-Christian, anti-societal collection of slanderous stereotypes and offensive tropes.

You'd like it; same sort of swill as Avatar with less plotline.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  11. LozHinge the Unhinged

The Mist was an excellent short story. The film adaptation suffers from what normally* plagues screen adaptations of King's stories - it was made into a screen version.

*Yes, there are a few exceptions, in my view - the film of Shawshank was a decent stab at a marvellous story. The aforementioned The Shining. Maybe there's one or two more out there that the InterWerbz can help me remember.

What Stephen King likes about his own stories, though, in print or on screen, is of no interest to me. I enjoy much of his early output but as to his opinions on "the art" or on anything else? Pfft. I noticed early on that as he became "a better writer", his stories resonated with me less and less.
    There are writers, musicians, artists of all kinds, whose work I enjoy but whose tastes (in books, music or art in general) strike me as awful. Generally, when a musician lists his Top 10 favourite songs, most influential bands, etc, I am appalled at his choices, even if the musician himself creates my favourite pieces of music. There's no accounting for taste!

Leopold Stotch likes this.
  12. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I enjoyed The Stand well enough - and I suspect others did as well, which encouraged King's ego to outrageous proportion. I agree with you about early vs. late as well; for me The Tommyknockers was almost unreadable... yet he made it into a movie.

I wouldn't include it in this listing because it was crap.

13. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Stand by Me (adapted from The Body) turned out well. Carrie (the De Palma film, not the pathetic remakes) was reasonably decent as well. Sadly, that's about it for King though (unless you count Creepshow - 'The Crate' was fantastic).

14. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

Apparently, the book was completely different.

I have no idea if my opinion counts as I have been told my taste in movies is terrible. According to Merv's rules ("[. . .] but I'm considering quality movies that you found unpleasant or otherwise difficult to watch.") I'd say Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, both American and Swedish versions. I did enjoy both (I liked the Swedish one(s) better), but not that one scene (you know what scene I'm talking about). Even after the movie was done and found myself liking the movie, I felt awful.

15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

You followed the rules perfectly. I didn't have the same views, though there's definitely some hard-to-watch stuff.

As it happens, the Swedish TGWTDT has two sequels as well, both worth watching. Think my wife found them on Netflix.

16. LozHinge the Unhinged

Pet Sematary - another King confection. The book upset me deeply when I read it, as the subject matter clashed with my having a toddler son at the time plus another baby on the way.
    Incredibly, I later watched the movie based upon the book. I hoped the film version would be awful enough that it diluted the upset that the book gifted me. No such luck, I heard the line "No fair" in many of my dreams afterwards, this time with the sound of an actor saying it. It's safe to say, this movie displeased me.

Oh, and the biggie - Saving Private Ryan. The scene with the knife fight is just about unwatchable for me. I have never seen screen violence that has affected me more deeply. An astonishingly good movie, but I have gone and made a cup of tea during my most recent viewing of it, at the strategic moment.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You will probably like it that Mist in German means manure (dung mixed with straw... correct word?). That word is commonly used here when cursing, like crap or BS in English.

Leopold Stotch and jmervyn like this.
  18. zticazzy

zticazzy IncGamers Member

I've been through a lot of bad movies in my life, so it's difficult to choose one to add to the list. Funky Forest was probably the only movie I wasn't able to finish. Apart from some really funny and ****ed-up scenes, it's extremely, extremely boring.
    Also District 9 is overhyped crap, couldn't enjoy it because of its ridiculous screenplay. That's a shame, because the original idea was good.

19. LozHinge the Unhinged

Hmm ... someone else was dissatisfied with District 9. I feel somewhat vindicated :D