Worms

I, also despise the stench of worms. I don't mind them in general, just don't like the smell. My dad used to completely ick me out while fishing by being able to pinch the big fat ones in half with his fingers. He would do this so he would have more bait. I could never do that. Didn't mind baiting the hook after the dismemberment though.
 

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
ModeratelyConfused said:
Ski knows what I'm talking about, he can probably explain it better. There's this smell, after several hours/days of rain. I guess it comes from the ground when it gets saturated enough, and I've always associated it with worms. Around here, and most places I'm guessing, when it rains enough the worms have to leave to ground so the don't drown, and they tend to congregrate on asphalt or concrete.
Are you sure that's worms and not just the smell of mud?

I can't stand the smell of mown grass, myself.

HockeyChic said:
I, also despise the stench of worms. I don't mind them in general, just don't like the smell. My dad used to completely ick me out while fishing by being able to pinch the big fat ones in half with his fingers. He would do this so he would have more bait. I could never do that. Didn't mind baiting the hook after the dismemberment though.
I can't believe some people really use worms as bait - just like in cartoons.
 

Xynrx

Diabloii.Net Member
When I was a kid, around 8 or so, I would put on my lil yellow rubber booties and yellow rubber rain jacket and walk around the block whenever it poured rain. I'd pick up every single worm on the way and stuff 'em in my pockets. When I got home i'd stick my hands in my pockets and grab handfulls of the squirmy lil guys and dump them on my driveway and watch them slowly spread apart... sigh, good old days when you didn't have to worry about rent or insurance or gas money or tax or anything...

...

...

*wishes it would rain*
 
dondrei said:
Are you sure that's worms and not just the smell of mud?

When it rains in the spring, before the ground is completely thawed, the smell isn't really there. The air rarely smells like it unless there are actually tons of "nightcrawlers" squirming all over the place.



dondrei said:
I can't believe some people really use worms as bait - just like in cartoons.
They work quite well actually.
There is a bait shop at the corner of our road where one can purchase "nightcrawlers" to fish with. They usually come in a used sour cream or similar type of container filled with either dirt or a damp crumbly paper product. There even vending machines in the area with them, just in case the bait shop is closed.

Yes, I live in the hicks. No, we don't here the song from "Deliverance" being played as we float along on the lake.
 

Johnny

Banned
Worms are great.

The idea is that you put the worm around the hook like a sock. Plus if you are quick enough to remove the fish and beat it to death after you catch it then one worm around a hook through several fish.
 

Sokar Rostau

Diabloii.Net Member
Bloody bunch of panises afaid of worms.

Thee's probably a pscholoigcal reason for it though. Something about dismemberment an dstuff.
 

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
Sokar Rostau said:
Bloody bunch of panises afaid of worms.

Thee's probably a pscholoigcal reason for it though. Something about dismemberment an dstuff.
Hell, I know a guy who's afraid of frogs, and I'm not talking about those big poisonous ones, I'm talking about any kind.

He jumped on the hood of his car when a frog was hopping in the driveway, and I've seen him jumping on top of his chair like a little lady that got scared with a mouse.

So I wonder, how crazy/mad would he go when I lock him in an empty room and a few frogs, preferrably big ones, would he be cured after a few hours or ready for the insanesylum?
 

StAlbion

Diabloii.Net Member
Dawnmaster said:
Hell, I know a guy who's afraid of frogs, and I'm not talking about those big poisonous ones, I'm talking about any kind.

He jumped on the hood of his car when a frog was hopping in the driveway, and I've seen him jumping on top of his chair like a little lady that got scared with a mouse.

So I wonder, how crazy/mad would he go when I lock him in an empty room and a few frogs, preferrably big ones, would he be cured after a few hours or ready for the insanesylum?
Well, I can think of one way to find out.
 

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Is it frogs specifically or anything that makes sudden, unpredictable movements?
Frogs only afaik.

StAlbion said:
Well, I can think of one way to find out.
I can think of more than one way, and I'd love to test them all out in reality (I know the guy, I never said I liked him :rolleyes: )
 

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
Johnny said:
The idea is that you put the worm around the hook like a sock. Plus if you are quick enough to remove the fish and beat it to death after you catch it then one worm around a hook through several fish.
Isn't there some special move the Swedish military taught you to dispatch fish? Beating it to death seems so inefficient.
 
MadMachine said:
Isn't there some special move the Swedish military taught you to dispatch fish? Beating it to death seems so inefficient.
Actually if you take the fish by the tail and give the head end a good whack on a hard surface it does a nice job, not at all inefficient.
 

Johnny

Banned
MadMachine said:
Isn't there some special move the Swedish military taught you to dispatch fish? Beating it to death seems so inefficient.
If you have read my replies in earlier fishing threads what we usualy do is take a knife and instert it into the thickest part of the fishes forehead then you move it around inside a few times making sure the entire brain is turned to mush.

The fish usualy stops moving instantly when you do that.
 

MadMachine

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
Actually if you take the fish by the tail and give the head end a good whack on a hard surface it does a nice job, not at all inefficient.
What if it slips from your hand and flies back into the lake?

I usually just twist the head to one side and snap the neck. Heck it's gotta come off sometime.

Johnny said:
If you have read my replies in earlier fishing threads what we usualy do is take a knife and instert it into the thickest part of the fishes forehead then you move it around inside a few times making sure the entire brain is turned to mush.

The fish usualy stops moving instantly when you do that.
Creepy, but efficient.
 

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
When we went fishing we kept them alive in the bucket until it was time to clean them. By that time they were usually drowsy or passed out from lack of oxygen, so it's easy to kill, gut and clean them.
 

Johnny

Banned
dondrei said:
Is that in case your country gets invaded by homicidal fish?
You never know when Dagon comes.


MadMachine said:
Creepy, but efficient.
Yeah it works. Plus, as good as beating a fish works as a means to kill it. There are some parts inside a fish you really dont want to burst and spill over into the meat.
 
Top