Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

World Event Dying out?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dalron, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Dalron

Dalron IncGamers Member

World Event Dying out?

So far in D2 I've seen the Diablo Clone twice. First time was a pure fluke and the second time I gave in to temptation and went IP hunting and got lucky. Now I gave the charm to my wife to butter her up and went out looking for Clone games and things seemed to have slowed down a HUGE ammount.

Are the sellers out of duped soj's?

If they are I think we need a different way of making DC walk the earth :) or make the charm drop from normal monsters so that everyone has a chance (no matter how small) to get one.

(My observation is on EUROPE tho. I hear that there where less duped soj's there so things might still be going strong on other realms.)

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I highly doubt it. It is still extremely easy to trade for sojs in bulk.

It's difficult to get all the potential soj-sellers coordinated and together on one IP for some reason -- possibly because sellers tend to want to sell on IPs that have a higher starting count. Of course, the starting count makes no difference, it takes around the same number of player-sold sojs to spawn DC.

I've seen probably hundreds of hot IP games get started and then die off with no DC walking. Sellers also seem to be under the impression that if there hasn't been a count for a couple of hours, the event will reset. Untrue.

For all I know, soj-duping is still going on. There is no way of knowing though.

3. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I play on east and my most recent d-clone spawning was a week ago.

I don't do the IP hunting thing, I"m too lazy :surprise:

4. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I thought it died out, but then someone told me about some hot servers. This weekend was big for soj sales.

I got 4 more annihilus. I would have had a fifth but both PC's crashed sometime after 1am.

Most of the time soj sales are slow. Just keep your ear to the ground, find out which servers are hot, and get on them.

5. schlip

schlip IncGamers Member

It's so sad a seemingly good idea has turned into something that lures people away from the game play.

6. Dalron

Dalron IncGamers Member

True. When I started playing after 1.10 came out you would get xxx soj's sold messages every so often and if I saw the message I'd stay in the game for as long as I could. However with people's discovery of 'Hot' servers they concentrate on that server, as a result I've not seen an soj's sold message in the last 2-3 weeks without going IP hunting (and I play 4ish hours a day).

7. pipermac

pipermac IncGamers Member

What pisses me off the most....is going into a normal game to mule and start seeing the soj counter go up like crazy!

8. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

I have never been on a hot server...never seen the SoJ counter go up significantly...I have no idea where to look and he's never appeared in my game.

And I have no Annihilous :(

9. GameFellow

GameFellow IncGamers Member

Noob question I know...

How does one go about selecting a server? I dial up with AOL then start Diablo, nowhere does it give me an option for selecting a server. Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

10. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I don't think so. In a way, organized soj sales are the largest form of cooperative play. Nobody is getting screwed here. No one's game experience is being lessened. If you don't want to participate, then you don't have to. If you do, that's fine too, and good luck.

I don't know about you, but I don't find it particularly "sad" that alot of people are getting unique charms. It really doesn't affect me one way or the other. Also, I myself have't heard the siren call of the clone that "lures people away from game play." Everytime I make a new character, I go and get him a charm. It's that simple.

Mith

11. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

People are still doing them as far as I can tell. I was in a few MF'ing games (different ones for sure) and they had high SoJ's sold numbers.

It's not hard for sellers to get organized. There're two IRC channel dedicated to IP hunting for East and West.

12. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

SoJs are remarkably rare (for honest players, anyway). Maybe people are finally realizing that it's not worth sacrificing many, many Stones of Jordan for one single frickin' Annihilus Charm.

13. conan

conan IncGamers Member

I have never IP hunted, Never EVER sold a single SOJ nor know anyone who did, and i have collected 33 Annihilus 3 that are perfect (I only kept 16 and keep rotating the best ones to my best characters while giving the rest away to friends and nice ppl) In fact i have hundreds of sojs from the pre DUPE-A-THON 1.09 days and they patiently reside on mules, awaiting something smarter than selling them just to rid the realms of dupes. Yes it is possible that selling sojs can make DC walk, but I have Still not seen any proof of this, and since i dont see the need, i remain skeptical of the whole PROVEN theory. If it works for you, why fight it?

14. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

What exactly does IP stand for?

15. Dredd

You obvious missed the testing series done by dop_obo and myself a week ago. Any doubts about the World Event being triggered by player-sold sojs should be erased. The thread is right here.

So how do you like your crow, conan? Medium rare? Well done? :D

16. Dredd

I just spent an hour and a half making a thread with all the raw data and test results with a fat Q&A tacked onto it. IExplorer just ATE IT! I'm going to curl up in a ball and cry now. sdkfjasdf

17. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I think we can put to bed the whole question of whether or not the soj counter has anything to do with the clone. It does. End of story.

18. conan

conan IncGamers Member

I still havent seen any dead crow buckwheat, untill i do see something other than yakkin and jakkin, its all just red neck noise homie. You have proved NOTHING, yadda yadda NADA yadda yadda. But i will reserve FINAL judgement for the day when you have some PROOF

19. conan

conan IncGamers Member

Re read what I said S L O W L Y, I never ever said that the SOJ counter has nothing to do with the clone now did I?? What I said was I have seen NO PROOF that selling sojs does anything but rid the real of duped sojs, PAY ATTENTION when you get huffy, it helps a lot=)

20. Wolfwind

Wolfwind IncGamers Member

The answer, is brutally simple!

All these people don't want to gather, sell their SOJ's, then kill DC, and have some other fool pick up the charm when it drops! People are doing it solo instead!