Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Croup, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

World Cup Qualifying

Well, the United States put down Costa Rica 3-0 at home, pushing them even further ahead of the rest of the field, but still one point behind Mexico, who defeated Guatemala 2-0 (if I remember correctly). This puts the US and Mexico about 5-6 points above the rest of CONCACAF, so barring meltdowns, it's just a fight for third.

Internationally, Ireland is still on the outside looking in, and some of the other more prominent European teams are having a tough go at it. Anyone else have interesting qualifying notes? I'm more in tune with CONCACAF being a USA fan, but I've been trying to keep up internationally as well. The US plays their next game late Wednesday night against Panama, which is the same day as much of the rest of qualifying for the other conferences.

PS. I'm glad that bum Eddie Lewis didn't play. Here's hoping he won't on Wednesday either.

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I still think Donovan is way overrated. He still needs to play better and not be such a nancy.

Great match. It's about time the U.S. started putting the hurt on CONCACAF.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well there was a thread about the US game on the second page I think, but not specifically about world cup qualifying. I don't know if you watched the US game or not, but Costa Rica really screwed themselves. They'll be without two of their players for their qualifier against Guatemala, who they are tied with for that third place spot. The red card earned by Sequeira at the end of the match was ridiculous.

I am re-enthused about US soccer though. Landon Donovan had a great game, as did Kasey Keller, but there were some mistakes I didn't want to see. A better team definitely could have taken advantage of them and probably won the game. The US defense also scares me a bit.

4. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

True about Ireland.

Go Israel! We came back from a 2-0 opening by the Irish, in their home field. No wonder the Israeli players were happy at the end.
    We have decent chance of qualifiying if we can beat the Swiss at their place, and then win twice against San Marino (the latter shouldnt be difficult, but who knows)

Ireland still need to play France, and I belive so do the swiss.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Well on the european side, we (england) are doing ok for once, we usually do rubbish and onyl just scrap through. France need a boost, serbia are doing impressive (joint with spain in group 7).
    Brazil have been pretty average so far, but they never do incredible stuff in the qualifiers, wait till the finals and they'll show there funky stuff.

6. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i am furious! the players in our team so totally suck. yesterdy we lost against Croatia 3:1 :mad: (i am talking about bulgaria btw way) we have a really good coach or whatever is called but our players suck!our defence is so weak. they let like three players from croatia infront of the goal keeper :mad:
    from our group sweden and croatia are moving on for now. man i am so mad we have always qualified for the world cup. :mad: :mad:

7. AeroJonesy

I was watching that game, and then the feed cut out. Were all the goals late? I could have sworn I saw it in the 63rd minute still tied nil-nil.

8. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I agree that Donovan hasn't quite lived up to his potential, but he's definitely stepping up his play and looking better.

The main problem is that the US doesn't have a prolific striker. McBride is a bum, Wolff is average at best, and I have no idea where Mathis is. Eddie Johnson is a bright spot, but he's hurt at the moment. Keller played a great game against Costa Rica to keep the US up, and then the US finally capitalized on their counterattacks to put the game away.

By the way, the announcers were giving Beasley tons of credit for the way that he played in this game, but whenever I saw him he was needlessly slowing up the attack, dribbling himself into trouble, or mistouching the ball. I thought he had a horrible game.

AJ, I agree with you completely about Costa Rica. People were saying that they would be the number three team in from CONCACAF, but they really did screw themselves for their game against Guatemala with the cards. And I have no idea why they weren't starting Gomez or Wanchope, but that should be rectified before the Guatemala game.

9. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Considering that 2/3 of the goals were his yesterday, I'd say he's playing better. :thumbsup:

Costa Rica played a dirty game. There were a few fouls that the ref couldn't have seen, but were flagrant and very ugly, and most of them seemed to target DeMarcus Beasley who had just returned from being injured. Lovely to know that CRC felt the only way they could compete would be to attempt to cripple US players.

That red card Sequiera earned was brutal--left me feeling like the red card wasn't punishment enough. A shame, really, but good on the US for rising above it and not losing their heads.

EDIT: Croup, were you watching the same game I was? I seem to recall the US outshooting CRC something like 8-0 by halfway through the first half. CRC's offense didn't even start playing the game until about the 15th minute on the second half from where I was sitting.

10. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

which game did you watch?

11. AeroJonesy

Hmmm, maybe it was Belgium. I didn't see much of the game before the feed cut out, and I don't know a lot about some of the smaller European teams.

12. AeroJonesy

Did you see their little montage of fouls against Beasley? It's a miracle he was still walking by the end of the game!

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

it was probably belgium because at the end of the first half the result was 0:1 for croatia

14. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Oh don't get me wrong, the US was outplaying the hell out of Costa Rica and was dictating play, except for Costa Rica's spurt in the second half. But that was against Costa Rica, at home. Wolff didn't play that great, McBride did a good job of setting up Donovan's second goal but not much besides that, and there was some sloppy play in the mids. I'm not saying that the US can't score, or that they can't put shots on net, but they don't have a dominant, uber-talented striker. Eddie Johnson and Mathis were the closest if you ask me, and neither are playing right now.

They did fine for Costa Rica, but they fizzled against Mexico and would definitely need to do better in the World Cup.