World Cup 2006!

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Yeah I suppose you should watch it all at that.

I'm just bitter over Wales losing...

KnightFall
With John Tosheck leading the way you may aswell stay bitter for the next 5 years. That fella's a boring idiot.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
So are you two agreeing or what?

Just about every sport has proven that teammwork can overcome a team full of superstars. Remember last year's NBA finals?

*Shoot self for mentioning the NBA in a soccer thread*

Sounds like it. I just get very defensive when people crap on the US team. Remember, folks, I was a lonely US soccer fan for an entire childhood growing up in Argentina. You have no idea how much crap I got.

myleftfoot, the Arg-Eng match was two very good teams playing against one another, but the fact of the matter is, Argentina played like they had two left feet for most of the tournament. Having watched most of their qualifying campaign, including their 2-1 victory over Brazil in Estadio Momumental (in person--most amazing experience of my life, I might add), I was so sorely disgusted by their performance in the World Cup that I stopped cheering for them. The stars and great players on their side saved them from outright embarassment, but they did not play like a team, and were lucky to escape with the moderate losses they did. If you have a chance to watch that game again, do so--you'll see what I mean. Argentina didn't show any glimmers of hope until late in the second half, and frankly, the English had closed down into a defensive shell by then that completely shut down the Argentines. Frankly, with a team of players like Ariel Ortega, Hernan Crespo, Gabriel Batistuta, and Pablo Aimar, I expected a lot more.

Owen did play an amazing game in that match, I will happily hand you that one. I was less impressed with Beckham, but then I can't really recall a match in which I was impressed with him, frankly. It seems that every time I see him he's committing some dirty foul or another and then tossing a boyish grin at the crowd while shrugging off his yellow or red card.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Owen did play an amazing game in that match, I will happily hand you that one. I was less impressed with Beckham, but then I can't really recall a match in which I was impressed with him, frankly. It seems that every time I see him he's committing some dirty foul or another and then tossing a boyish grin at the crowd while shrugging off his yellow or red card.
Beckam isn't very good. He only plays for Real cause of the revenue he generates, especially with shirt sales in Asia.

He only captains england because Sven is a crap manager IMO, who would never dream of dropping golden balls and has no imagination.

In saying this Beckham is the best crosser of the ball in the world and a dead ball expert, but he doesn't do it enough.

myleftfoot said:
Beckam isn't very good. He only plays for Real cause of the revenue he generates, especially with shirt sales in Asia.

He only captains england because Sven is a crap manager IMO, who would never dream of dropping golden balls and has no imagination.

In saying this Beckham is the best crosser of the ball in the world and a dead ball expert, but he doesn't do it enough.
Sounds a lot like Maradona in his later years. Undeniably among the greatest players ever to play the game...when he wasn't walking around the pitch expecting the ball always to come to him, waving to the fans, or blowing lines of cocaine. Such a shame when people let their talent get to their heads and waste it.