World Cup 2006!

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
*Bows to Aero*

Great thread.

Owen couldnt hit a barn door from a yard out last night, looked like a Scottish centre forward, wont be at cardiff though so hopefully Defoe will have a run out.

Beckham had an alright game apart from the "shoe" incident, best hes played for England in a while anyway. Stuck to the right like he should, hes not cut out for a central midfield position.

The comment about Premiership players... Flame me all you wish but the Premiership for me has to be the best football league in the world, even more so now with the Chelski situation.

Second rate Premiership teams? Who would those be its kind of hard to categorize apart from the obvious 3. I mean any one of the teams that stay up this season could go on to get a champions league place next season or go down. Look at Everton... Pre-season they was the bookies bet to go down, there currently fourth and look like holding Liverpool at bay to get the last spot of the champions league places.

The World cup... Anyones ball game I guess, there has been an huge shake up in what used to be the dominant nations.

Englands next game is a friendly away to the USA, which there has been a lot of dispute about here. Should be a good match.

Chynobi said:
Englands next game is a friendly away to the USA, which there has been a lot of dispute about here. Should be a good match.
No kidding? That should be a great game! According to a few of you in here, the Brits oughtta blow us out, what, 5-0? 7-0?

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
No kidding? That should be a great game! According to a few of you in here, the Brits oughtta blow us out, what, 5-0? 7-0?
I think they overestimate our chances, the way we've been playing over the last 5 international games we're not playing to our best. The 16min Goal Feat against N. Ireland was the best ive seen us play in a long while.

I dont think it will be as clear cut as you say maybe 3-0 at worst but its more likely we will win by the odd goal or so.

Chynobi said:
I think they overestimate our chances, the way we've been playing over the last 5 international games we're not playing to our best. The 16min Goal Feat against N. Ireland was the best ive seen us play in a long while.

I dont think it will be as clear cut as you say maybe 3-0 at worst but its more likely we will win by the odd goal or so.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I would think it to be a close game--the US, if it plays well, stands a good chance. If it does not, it will lose. If England plays poorly, they will struggle to win. England is clearly at an advantage, but I don't think its a given result for them to expect a win.

Chynobi

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. I would think it to be a close game--the US, if it plays well, stands a good chance. If it does not, it will lose. If England plays poorly, they will struggle to win. England is clearly at an advantage, but I don't think its a given result for them to expect a win.
I mean we're the favourites and such, what with the usa having Tim Howard and such :p

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Remind me again where former England captain Alan Shearer spent most of his career playing? Ah, that's right. Newcastle United.

Meh. You have a handful of "superstars" who play like overpaid sissies on the pitch. We have an entire side of underrated and very hardworking players who play like they have nothing to lose.

You remember the game in 2002 between Argentina and England, by the way? That's what can happen when a side lets their superstars get to their heads. Argentina played like a side of chickens with their heads removed and England closed down the pitch after scoring a goal. By the time the celeste y azul got their heads outta their rear ends, England was in a defensive shell they couldn't penetrate.

EDIT: Perhaps you've heard of Tim Howard? http://www.manutd.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=9583
I'm not English, my point still remains wherever I'm from.

And perhaps you've heard about Tim Howard aswell, dropped cause he is crap & united are looking for a new keeper (not a bloody tender).

Dunno what Argentina v England has anything to do with this.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Um... these are very good players....
Okotcha - Bolton
Wright-Philips - Man City
Johnson - Palace

KnightFall

yes good, worldclass NO. They haven't proven themselves in Europe or in Internationals. Only in domestic leagues.

Johnson, do you know ho many penalties he's scored? Still good player but this is his first year in the lime light

Okatcha is full of tricks but he's like 35. No goals last season & not that many this year. How often does he get a full run for Bolton?

SWP is very good & with a move to a bigger club in Europe he has the POTENTIAL to become world class.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
Dutchman said:
Eliminated by the Irish no less, THE IRISH!. To make matters worse, I have a buddy named Callaghan, CALLAGHAN!!!
STFU. The Dutch are plain crap. Every team fears Ireland. **** we drew with Brazil last year 1-1 ... and they had to get the equalizer, they also played a full team.

We're in the best position in our group aswell this time around having not lost a qualifier yet.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
G0su_Hellbolt said:
Whoever said that England had overpaid sissies, I commend you on that. That is soooo true. I mean, Steven Gerrard is good, but not worth the 30 mil he is valued at. Personally I reckon he would get 10 mil at tops if he went to a different country. Dont say because he is not at this own country. Van Nistelrooy is an amazing striker and is under-valued, and dont even get me started on many other foriegns in England.
Rooney is a craze which will soon pass. He is setting a too high a standard for himself for my liking. When he hits the big ol' 25 years old mark he will never be able to play like he does now. Then he is gonna drop like a log

How is Van Nistrelrooy undervalued????????

Steven Gerrard is a great creative midfielder & is worth 30 mil +. If Rio Ferdinand, a good distribution defender, goes for almost 30 I think Stevey G can go for almost that. And I'd imagine Real Madrid would defo pay big for him.

And making that statement about Rooney is ridiculus, is this from your experience with dealing with incredible talents & watching them grow? Rooney is nothing but a pro & has always been since he stepped on the pitch at 16. His off the ball attributes is what's most amazing.

Well, you being Irish explains a lot. You would think you would know something about being underrated and struggling to win.

No matter, keep being a snob and insisting that until the US has players making $329847392 million a year to run around the pitch smiling with their diamond earrings and highlights, they're not a decent team, and we'll keep grinding out tough, scrappy youngsters who will work hard and fight to win.

The point about the Arg-Eng match, by the way, since you didn't read my original post about it closely enough, was that it was a good example of a side of superstars not playing like a cohesive team and losing as a result. Frankly, Saudi Arabia could have beat that Argentina squad that day. They were all running in different directions and looked like a side of 8 year olds chasing the ball around.

And don't try to get technical with me on terminology. Goaltender, goalkeeper, goalie, portero, arquero, blah. It all means the same thing. Look em up in the dictionary if you don't believe me. And just because one is more prevalent in your country than mine doesn't make it any more correct.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone know if the Englad v. Azerbaijan match match on Fox Soccer Channel today at 1pm Eastern is new or a repeat?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I figured it was a repeat. Oh well, I haven't seen ENgland play in awhile, so I might watch it anyway.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Dont bother to turn it on till the second half then...

I was bored for the entire game but more went on second half.

KnightFall

KnightFall said:
Dont bother to turn it on till the second half then...

I was bored for the entire game but more went on second half.

KnightFall
Why? Azerbaijan actually gave England a run for their money in the first half. Again showing why a team of superstars doesn't automatically equate to invincibility on the pitch.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
Why? Azerbaijan actually gave England a run for their money in the first half. Again showing why a team of superstars doesn't automatically equate to invincibility on the pitch.
Yeah I suppose you should watch it all at that.

I'm just bitter over Wales losing...

KnightFall

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
No matter, keep being a snob and insisting that until the US has players making $329847392 million a year to run around the pitch smiling with their diamond earrings and highlights, they're not a decent team, and we'll keep grinding out tough, scrappy youngsters who will work hard and fight to win.

The point about the Arg-Eng match, by the way, since you didn't read my original post about it closely enough, was that it was a good example of a side of superstars not playing like a cohesive team and losing as a result. Frankly, Saudi Arabia could have beat that Argentina squad that day. They were all running in different directions and looked like a side of 8 year olds chasing the ball around.

Calm down. I'm not being a snob, just saying the US don't have any world class players, which they don't. Ireland have 1 or 2, Roy Keane being the obvious.

Arg-Eng match was 2 strong teams against each other not 1 class team against a bunch of retards. Michael Owen was absolutly brilliant that day, no exceptions.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:

Just so you get me straight, I'm all out for hard fought matches. It's part of supporting Ireland. If the Irish team goes 2 goals ahead they don't have a clue what to do and will lose the lead cause it's never that easy (This is what happened with the Dutch)

Look at Real Madrid, **** team but has some world class players. If Seville beat them doesn't mean the that Seville have world class players, just played better as a team.