World Cup 2006!

Meh. England played like what they are. A bunch of overpaid sissies. Same with France, though France let it get to their heads so much they blew it. Looks like on the pace they're on, they'll be watching from home in 2006.

To those of you who said the US and Mexico are not world-class teams: you must have missed out on the last World Cup. Let me refresh you. US 3, Portugal 2. Whoops. Portugal were the underdog favorites to win last time around, too. How about the Germany game? After the match, both the German coach and a few of the players sat down at the press conference wide-eyed and stated frankly that the US outplayed them and that Germany did not deserve to win that match. The only reason they eeked out the 1-0, by the way, was due to the superhuman goaltending of Oliver Kahn, who was later awarded the goaltender award for the entire tournament.

But keep fooling yourselves, mate. I'm happy to continue to watch my team be underestimated and surprise the hell outta your "world class" teams when they beat them. :drink:

The US may not be on par with Argentina, Brazil, England, or Germany, but they are certainly a force to be reckoned with. Every year their bench gets deeper, and every year more and more young players step up to take the field. Just this year, for example, 21 year old Eddie Johnson has joined the side. I believe he now has 8 goals in 7 games, and MLS just turned down a half million dollar offer from Benfica for him. If the US didn't have world class players, we wouldn't have players like Regis and Pope, Donovan (until today, anyway), Keller, and many others spending time playing in the Premiership, Bundesliga, Dutch league, etc.

At any rate, enough of my rant. You keep underestimating us, and we'll keep fighting. Just don't come and cry to me when we suddenly overtake you while Beckham is off blowing kisses to the fans.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Great game last night. I'm glad it didn't get chippy. Eddie Johnson and Brian Ching are exciting to watch.

Pitboss_2000 said:
Neither the US nor Mexico are world class football teams... o_O
Mexico is ranked 6th (ahead of England) by FIFA , the U.S. 10th (tied with Italy). I'm not sure what your definition of world class is, but it's a good thing you have nothing to do with reality and football.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
DrunkCajun said:
If the US didn't have world class players, we wouldn't have players like Regis and Pope, Donovan (until today, anyway), Keller, and many others spending time playing in the Premiership, Bundesliga, Dutch league, etc.
Worldclass players don't play for second rate premiership etc sides.

myleftfoot said:
Remind me again where former England captain Alan Shearer spent most of his career playing? Ah, that's right. Newcastle United.

Meh. You have a handful of "superstars" who play like overpaid sissies on the pitch. We have an entire side of underrated and very hardworking players who play like they have nothing to lose.

You remember the game in 2002 between Argentina and England, by the way? That's what can happen when a side lets their superstars get to their heads. Argentina played like a side of chickens with their heads removed and England closed down the pitch after scoring a goal. By the time the celeste y azul got their heads outta their rear ends, England was in a defensive shell they couldn't penetrate.

EDIT: Perhaps you've heard of Tim Howard? http://www.manutd.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=9583

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
That world ranking is very interesting.

I was looking at Iran. How on earth are they at 20? Teams like Croatia and Poland below them. Very suprised.

Poor little Wales, all the way down at 71. :p

USA do have some good players and I'd have to agree with what DC is saying. They would give England a run for their money, especially if they played like they did last night.

myleftfoot said:
Um... these are very good players....
Okotcha - Bolton
Wright-Philips - Man City
Johnson - Palace

KnightFall

Damnatorius

Diabloii.Net Member
Meh. You have a handful of "superstars" who play like overpaid sissies on the pitch.
So do we (netherlands), and they aren't even "superstars" for crying out loud. I really wish they would do some work for a change, that way they might reach the finals again some day :(

Moosashi

Diabloii.Net Member
Anyone know how Sweden is doing in European qualifying? They are my fallback team if the US gets eliminated early.

Elly

Administrator
KnightFall said:
England weren't that good last night...

Beckham in particular was an a***. He was so dis-respectful. Standing around drinking water while the game carries on and then playing with one boot on. It just came across to me like he thought the oppersition (not going to try and spell it! :lol: ) weren't worth taking seriously. Bad show...

I'm so gutted for my team Wales. To lose with three mins to go :rant:

To a bloody keeper error too. *sigh*

Don't think we have any chance to qualify now. :(

World cup? Who cares....

[/bitterness]

KnightFall

Rooney's a great player but he's a little arrogant for me. I put it down to youth exuberance and hope he'll gain a little class as he gets older. Still, he could do with a good slap to help him on his way. Beckham unfortunately has lost a bit of his sparkle since moving to Real Madrid. He still plays decent football though. Last night's game was a pretty easy win, I just wish Owen could have answered his critics with a goal.

btw, well done to Wales for winning the 6 nations. Well deserved and it's good to see them back up to the standards of their glory days.

KnightFall

Diabloii.Net Member
Elly said:
btw, well done to Wales for winning the 6 nations. Well deserved and it's good to see them back up to the standards of their glory days.
I can't believe I missed the oppertunity to make a thread to rave on about Wales winning that. How stupid of me... :rant:

And you totaly right about Rooney. My biggest fear is of him getting sent off in a vital game. Can see it coming mile off...

As for Sweeden, they are second in their group.
Croatia 13
Sweeden 12
Bulgaria 8
Hungary 7
Iceland 1
Malta 1

All played 5 games. They are looking good to qualify.

KnightFall

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm just going to throw this out here for any US fans that would know what I'm talking about.

Eddie Lewis is a ****ing bum. How he starts every game at left mid is beyond me. I couldn't count the number of times last night that he took poor near post shots when he had men WIDE OPEN on the back post. And if anyone says that he has two goals in the last three qualifying games, that's true. But against Mexico he missed a wide open net earlier before finally putting one away. He's a damn bum.

That being said, the US played horrible against Mexico and much better against Guatemala. However, they still could of played better and they didn't finish like they should have. Ching missed a wide open volley with the entire net in front of him, Lewis couldn't find wide open people on his crosses and Ralston missed an easy, easy volley/header because he tried to destroy the ball of just putting it in. They're much better than they have been, but they aren't elite yet.

However, both Mexico and the US beat teams they "shouldn't" during every big tourney and are forces to watch out for. I would never pick Mexico to win a Cup, but they still take out people that no one would have predicted. Teams like that are just dangerous.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, as long as we're *****ing about U.S. players, let me just add Landon Donovan to the mix. Chronic underachiever with no heart. Give me McBride or Wolff up top. At least those guys bust their hump.

Dutchman

Diabloii.Net Member
As long as Holland doesn't bung it up again this time around I'm a happy man. 3 or 4 straight times losing in the semis to the eventual winner followed by............. missing the friggin tournament! Eliminated by the Irish no less, THE IRISH!. To make matters worse, I have a buddy named Callaghan, CALLAGHAN!!!

I've been hearing about it for 4 years now, 4 YEARS!

I love repeats in caps, CAPS!

Dutch

Alright, now we have a conversation about the US team goin! *cracks knuckles*

Lewis--underachiever is a good word for him. However, I think part of the reason he was in there is that he has experience--he's not a "veteran" per se, but putting him up there with Johnson in my opinion does serve some purpose. The goal he did put away against Mexico was downright impressive, IMHO. He threaded a very narrow needle through a lot of trees to squeeze a ball between a defender, the goalkeeper and the far post. As far as missing a lot of other shots, granted.

Ching was a bit disappointing in the Guatemala match--he missed two or three clear chances, but to be honest, at least twice he looked crushed. Keep in mind that these are MLS players, and the season hasn't started yet this year, so they're a bit rusty. Practice only does so much next to playing a game or two a week. I'd like to chalk those misses up to being out of practice.

Ralston doesn't impress me much. Enough said.

Donovan--I'm going to disagree on this one. He's been under an inordinate amount of stress in the last two years. He was stuck in Germany because of a contractual agreement that he's been fighting, and was stuck playing very few minutes and being very pissed off about it. He finally got released from the contract and is coming back to the MLS, and last night played a little more relaxed because of it, at least in my opininon. He still has a long way to go to looking like the Landon Donovan that blew my socks off in the US v. Germany match, however.

Players that are impressing me: Mastroeni. His composure during the US v. Mexico game in '02 has stuck with me, and he seems to have built on that and turned himself into a dynamic player who can make plays.
Johnson. No explanation needed. Just watching his instincts with that Donovan pass yesterday was all I ever needed to see (by the way, Donovan's pass wasn't too bad, either).
Onyewu: The jury's still out on this kid, I'm afraid. I blame him single-handedly for that Mexico goal (where he let Borgetti alone while watching the ball and turned around to realize it was too late), but he's also shown that he's hardworking and looking to improve. I'd keep my eye on him in the next few qualifiers and in the MLS to see what he does with himself.

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
I never liked McBride, personally. He's far from the master of the air that EVERY American announcer makes him out to be and he is not a pure finisher.

Eddie Johnson is the new top striker for the US national team, so it's a matter of putting someone else up there with him. Ching missed some open shots during the Guatemala game, but he also made some good runs to get into position for those shots. Plus he's good in the air. I'd like to see how he does once he gets in a better rythem.

I also agree with Ralston not being a big deal. Not very creative, clumsy on the ball and a poor finisher (this is all in comparison, obviously). I miss the days of Jones flying down that wing. Beasley is a better played, but even he has his moments of a lack of heart.

More than anything, I'd like to see Clint Mathis back. He was always dangerous with that shot, fair in the air and a good passer with his back to goal.

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, whatever happened to Mathis? He and Wolff were supposed to be the new shizzle. I know they both got hurt and one of them may have had off-field issues, but I haven't heard about Mathis in awhile.

I never liked McBride, personally. He's far from the master of the air that EVERY American announcer makes him out to be and he is not a pure finisher.
When he's the only forward on the squad with ANY height, the announcers are gonna go ape poopy. Jeebus, he's only 6'1" and he towers over every other U.S. squadmate. Then, he goes out on the pitch against Belgium, Holland, Germany, etc.. and the fans are going, "Hey! Get that little kid off the field before he gets hurt!"

Stupid U.S. squad playing South American style football. We need more big dudes.

Freemason

Banned
Soccer is not a sport. It's a bunch of people running around a big lawn kicking a ball for a couple hours. What's a high scoring game? 2-1? Please. If you're going to run around a big lawn for hours kicking a ball, then go play rugby. Even if I still have no clue as to the rules (if there are any), it looks like a lot of fun.

Freemason said:
Soccer is not a sport. It's a bunch of people running around a big lawn kicking a ball for a couple hours. What's a high scoring game? 2-1? Please. If you're going to run around a big lawn for hours kicking a ball, then go play rugby. Even if I still have no clue as to the rules (if there are any), it looks like a lot of fun.
Well that's a troll if I've ever seen one. Go back to shooting raccoons off your back portch.

G0su_Hellbolt

Diabloii.Net Member
Korea 22nd ranked in FIFA...I dont believe it. We are behind Mexico. Oh come on, we have a much better team...

Whoever said that England had overpaid sissies, I commend you on that. That is soooo true. I mean, Steven Gerrard is good, but not worth the 30 mil he is valued at. Personally I reckon he would get 10 mil at tops if he went to a different country. Dont say because he is not at this own country. Van Nistelrooy is an amazing striker and is under-valued, and dont even get me started on many other foriegns in England.
Rooney is a craze which will soon pass. He is setting a too high a standard for himself for my liking. When he hits the big ol' 25 years old mark he will never be able to play like he does now. Then he is gonna drop like a log.

:p

*Gosu-Hellbolt

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
Funny thing is I played loads of soccer growing, always at the elite intercity level, p;aying tournaments all over the place. But now I have lost all interest in the sport.