Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Words you never remember

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dondrei, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Words you never remember

Damnit, I just spent a day and a half trying to remember the word "paradigm". For some reason there are certain words that I know well and love using, but whenever I think of the perfect place to use them I get a mental block and can't remember them. Often I find one word blocked by another; even though I knew it wasn't the word I was after I couldn't stop thinking "zeitgeist".

Another one is "nepotism", but I've been getting better with that lately.

So do you ever have this problem? Is it mostly certain words that do it to you?

2. kobold

kobold Banned

Yes, but dammit, I can't remember the word I have a problem with.

Seriously though, yes, it does happen to me.

The most annoying (lately) is my constant spelling of comparatively incorrectly. That irks me to no end.

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

I lived with a guy during my college years who spent three days trying to remember a word . . . drove him mad. He didn't eat much, slept little, all his homework was on hold. When he finally dredged it up ("malapropism") he wrote it in huge letters on a giant piece of paper, posted it on our fridge, did a little dance of joy in the kitchen, and then went to sleep.

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

That is won of the nerdier things I have ever read. Yay durf's roommate!

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Yeah, he later went on to spend 12 years in grad school, almost getting a PhD in English.

6. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Spending 12 years in grad school and only ALMOST getting a PhD is rather sad I think.

7. nosignal

nosignal IncGamers Member

That word which describes words that are the same spelt forwards or backwards. Yeah... gets me every time.

8. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I do this a bit, but it's usually common words for me. And I also have the exact same problem with getting the wrong word stuck in a loop. Sometimes the word is similar, others it's just plain wrong but has the right initial letter.

A few months ago I was in a conversation about Egypt and for some reason I couldn't summon up the word "pyramid", the only thing I got was "man made mountain". What made it annoying is that I had said the word several times only a few minutes beforehand.

Usually it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does. When I did my presentation for my Cold War class a few weeks ago, I stalled for almost a minute trying to remember the words "Geneva Convention", I ended up saying "damnit, mental block... it starts with "G"" and someone in the class prompted me. The word I was getting in a loop was "Georgia" as in the country, not the state.

EDIT: I've always wondered why the word is "palindrome" rather than "pallap" or "palinnilap" or something.

9. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Palindromes?

There never are particular ones for me, though I do get mind blanks on words from time to time.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You mean a palindrome? Yeah, I get stuck on that one sometimes too. That word always makes me think of Darkside of XEEN, which is where I learned it. Those damn Drawcab monks.

*EDIT*

Too late, figures.

11. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Hehe Drawcab monks... They're the ones that had you visit each of them in a certain order right?... Edit: nevermind... but I'm pretty sure those were Clouds of Xeen, not Darkside...:wave:

(I just played through that game a 14 months ago, so my memory isn't that phenomenal :) )

Palindrome is a common one for me to forget.

I also have that problem with names and constantly wanting to say a wrong name.

12. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Seems you must have gotten stuck on it this time too...

13. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I was once to remind someone how to spell "it's". That was somewhat concerning.

Personally, I tend to temporarily forget the names of things around the house. This had lead to me utilizing the word "wibble" as a substitute until I can remmber. When I forget "wibble" I use "aardvark". I am quite serious.

14. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I have this problem a, ummmm dammit I don't ummm dammit!

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No, I think you are thinking of the Drawcab monks from Darkside there. I seem to recall each one telling you to see the next one. I don't remember any monks in Clouds, mind you I don't remember that one nearly as well.

16. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Okay, I was just posting in the "Typing" thread...and I forgot a stupid word. What in the world is that blinky pointer thing called. It shows you where your next character will appear when you're typing. I keep on wanting to call it a colon...but I know it's not! AHHHH, this is maddening! I swear, I think I forgot just because I read this thread. :mad:

17. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

According to this, they're in Castleview, which is the first city on the Clouds side of Xeen.

That was a fun game to play through (once, and probably never again)

Cursor, fool!:smiley:

18. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Cursor, DAMN. I knew it was something like it...well, I has the 'c' right...

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Look more carefully, at the start of that paragraph it says "As you pass through the pyramid to the Darkside...". Clouds and Darkside plug in together, if you recall.

20. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

OH MY GOD! I was about to post that exact same word!!
    I always have to think a while before saying that word, because the word "parabole" keeps popping into my head.