Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Woot! Perf WF. Now what?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by DudSpud, Sep 23, 2009.

1. DudSpud

DudSpud Diabloii.Net Member

Woot! Perf WF. Now what?

I began playing 5+ years ago. I started D2 playing bowies, mainly LF/strafe and WWStringers as I was/am pretty poor. Disappointed after many trials, I migrated to the usual cookie cutter builds.

But now I have finally found the Holy Grail - WindForce (8%!), and I feel compelled to build a bowie around it.

My question - how to build her: straight Strafer, straight Multi, or a hybrid. Remember that this is HC, and I am relatively poor (SP).

My gut says that I should go hybrid (10-15 multi, strafe at 16/20 with plus skills), but this makes skills in FrzA/CA pretty tight (remember - I am SP, and I need a PI counter). Lvl 17+ at cast Valk, some penetrate and pierce are a given, and more CS = more better. Straight MS ameliorates this, but then I might as well build around a Burrito, right?

Straight Strafe would be tough, as the best I can reasonably hope for is a 9/3 strafe (80 IAS - 20 + shael (20) from WF, 20 IAS gloves, and Cat's Eye or some combination of belt, armor, and/or 15 IAS/+mod jewels). 120 IAS for a 9/2 requires IAS armor and maybe a Steelskull, leaving my resists pretty low. Faith Merc is out of the (legit) question for me.

And Strafelock scares me in HC...

Given this, how would / have you built your HC SP Windy?

Thanks,
    TehSpud

2. udgard

udgard Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Woot! Perf WF. Now what?

9/3 is all good for strafe. Due to a bug, 2 frames strafe doesn't exist. If you're building it for pit runs, resists won't matter much as well, so you can build your gear towards damage and some life for physical attack from archers. For PIs, an atma's scarab will serve you well (and pits has no PI, if you decide to park her there after matting her).

3. Hector

Hector Diabloii.Net Member

Grats on the find. Most certainly deserves a bowie made around it. :)

Don't be afraid of Strafe lock, it really shouldn't be a big issue. From my experience I've had more problems with D/A/E lock than Strafe over the years. Provided you don't try to start a Strafe in the middle of a Frenzytaur pack, you will be fine. :D

As ironic as it may sound, a HC bowazon should still focus nearly every skill point into offense. And some decent Dexterity too.

I would go for the standard physical bowazon build. 20 Strafe for single target/small pack killing, 10 Multi for huge crowds (I don't think more than this is needed, but if you feel like it, raise to 15), 1 into every other pre-requisite including 1 Freezing Arrow (great utility for crowd control). Lv1. Guided Arrow is usable for monsters you have issues hitting (Stone Skin), hit and run (Diablo) or want to hit around a corner (Baal), Lv.1 Magic Arrow for PIs. No points in the Fire branch.

20 Valkyrie (she's just too awesome to pass up, provides damage and safety), 1 into pre-reqs for Valk (you should use Decoy, it's good even at sLv 1), 1 into D/A/E (not needed, lock not good), then distribute the rest around Critical Strike (15+), Penetrate (10+), Pierce (9+ points and Razortail equals 100%).

Make an Harmony or use a WWS or Kuko to deal with Immunes. If you have access to a Reaper's Toll on your merc (chance to cast Decrepify), by all means use it. Awesome damage boost and safer boss fights due to the slow. Oh, be brave, use a Might merc. Or Holy Freeze until you are confident enough and make the switch. :)

Best of luck!

4. KremBanan

KremBanan Diabloii.Net Member

Normally with a Windforce, you would want to max Penetrate.

5. Dogbert

Dogbert Diabloii.Net Member

Not if you have lavagout. Those gloves that grant enchant on striking. I tried it in singleplayer gives me 5k + attack rating without charms with only 1point in penetrate mind you.

Shako
    Windforce
    Lavagout
    Atma
    Ravenfrost
    Carrion wind
    Razortail
    Watraveler
    Fortitude

6. KremBanan

KremBanan Diabloii.Net Member

Use Loh gloves and have Demon Limb on switch instead. Gives lvl 23 Enchant.

7. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

Even in HC SP, you can still trade for an Atma's Scarab, and that will solve any problems with PIs that a rogue merc cant handle. With a source of KB like WF, you're pretty safe even when strafing. I have a 'glass cannon' WF bowie (Windy is a druid build, btw) and she's extremely difficult to kill, unless I get stupid or distracted or greedy :) About the only thing you need to watch out for is, of course, Black Souls, and Diablo on Hell can be risky.

8. wickedswami

wickedswami Diabloii.Net Member

For diablo, just make sure you're facing his back, it's worth running around when he does (since valk/merc is attacking him, he should focus on them anyway)

I think WF isn't the bow to make a frost maiden, so i wouldn't use FA too much (1 point for crowdcontrol+some cold damage charms to enhance the freeze length)
    LoH's are pretty descent gloves and drop quite regularly so if you have them, use them.
    Harmony on switch is always useful (elemental damage+faster running)

9. DH Amazon

DH Amazon Diabloii.Net Member

Its's not so bad, but pretty good items are needed to get +skills high enough as bow gives none.

I have done three frost maidens around WF, latest is with infy merc and all three (one with faith merc and one with wrath merc) can do pretty nicely in full games. Big plus is that you don't need insight merc as you pretty much leech as much as you burn mana.

10. udgard

udgard Diabloii.Net Member

+1 to that. LoH gives much more damage and some needed IAS. Plus, 5k AR isn't enough for Hell IMO.

11. rCt Arbitur

rCt Arbitur Diabloii.Net Member

If hardcore id say go Multi arrow with high chance of piercing targets. Much safer then Strafe but drains alot of mana so some Mana Leech will be necessary. Demon Limb prebuff is also a good idea.

For secondary attack id say Freezing arrow and guided for bosses or jab on switch ;)

12. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon Diabloii.Net Member

Cleglaws claws. Will save your butt in HC versus large groups.