Wonko's turn for questions

Wonko the Sane

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko's turn for questions

There are some things I've been pondering... hopefully some insight can be shared.

-What is leech reduced to in Hell? On the same note, what would be an ideal amount of leech for a barbarian merc? Mine's only got 6% at the moment, from Vampire Gaze and it isn't really cutting it.
-Is it worth it to socket a Flamebellow and put an Amn in it, or should I hope to get a better sword?
-Is the Countess always fire/cold immune in Hell?
-If I get my hands on a Pul rune (I think it's Pul, anyway), should I upgrade Ribcracker (to be socketed + shael if up'd) (I've got a fury druid that could use a weapon to look forward to), Titan's (non-ethereal), or something else? Suggestions welcome.
-For a Javazon planning to use LF as the main skill, what can I do to speed up killing before level 30? Playing normal on anything but p8 doesn't seem right, but a level 1 Jab with Bloodthief is going far too slow. Should I rely more on my merc for killing?
-For the same Javazon, what would you recommend as a secondary skill? I'm torn between plague javelin and freezing arrow. A bow/jav hybrid does sound fun.

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko the Sane said:
-For a Javazon planning to use LF as the main skill, what can I do to speed up killing before level 30? Playing normal on anything but p8 doesn't seem right, but a level 1 Jab with Bloodthief is going far too slow. Should I rely more on my merc for killing?
At lvl 18 start investing in Charged Strike and keep lots of belt slots for mana pots. It kills fast even at low levels and low synergies. Until then jab.

Ter

Diabloii.Net Member
this is on battle.net not SP since I'm still pretty new to SP...but
I've got just about the lowest possible Titans 151% ED and it has taken me through the Shenk Quest in Act V hell there....so I'd say use the upgrade for something else.

As for speeding up the killing...Charged Strike does a pretty good job...if you sink a few points into it.

San

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko the Sane said:
-What is leech reduced to in Hell? On the same note, what would be an ideal amount of leech for a barbarian merc? Mine's only got 6% at the moment, from Vampire Gaze and it isn't really cutting it.
In NM the penalty is 1/2, in Hell 1/4. 6% is sufficient, if he has a big hurty stick.

Wonko the Sane said:
-Is it worth it to socket a Flamebellow and put an Amn in it, or should I hope to get a better sword?
Flamebellow isn't that exceptional, in any way. I'd change it for many of the exceptional uniques... But if you don't have anything else, and are lacking leech, why not, Amns are not rare.

Wonko the Sane said:
-Is the Countess always fire/cold immune in Hell?
Fire immune, I think, the other immunities depend if she's cold/lightning enchanced.

Wonko the Sane said:
T-If I get my hands on a Pul rune (I think it's Pul, anyway), should I upgrade Ribcracker (to be socketed + shael if up'd) (I've got a fury druid that could use a weapon to look forward to), Titan's (non-ethereal), or something else? Suggestions welcome.
Ribcracker is one of the better choices for elite-ing. My first upgrade to elite with an unique was WWS (Witch-Wild String)..

Wonko the Sane said:
Scrounge up 4 jewels with +15 max damage, and put them in a 4-socketed gothic plate. This will nicely increase your killing speed.

Wonko the Sane said:
-For the same Javazon, what would you recommend as a secondary skill? I'm torn between plague javelin and freezing arrow. A bow/jav hybrid does sound fun.
Your choice. I'll probably building some sort of hybrid around LF too some time soon, and will rely on physical damage to kill those pesky LI's, so 20 points in jab it is for me. I didn't like the idea of investing 40 points in a secondary killer..

Wonko the Sane

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the quick replies folks!

Flamebellow - what's with the bashing? The next best thing I have for my barb merc is a Vile Husk, and Flamebellow beats it damage-wise by far. It certainly doesn't seem like a bad choice to me, am I missing something?

I guess I'm kinda stuck with lowering the players setting for my javazon for a while. I don't have the proper jewels that San suggested, and I'm leery about sinking some points into CS before I know what my final build is gonna be.

New question - let's say I have a dagger that does 1-4 damage, and has one socket. What happens when I insert a jewel with, say, 10 to minimum damage? The damage should become 11-4, but that's not possible. Does the minimum become the new maximum (4-11 damage)?

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
It's 1/3 leech efficiency in Hell in 1.10.
However, on top of that, monsters are not simply "leechable" and "unleechable" now. They have leech resistance. Skeletons have 100% leech resistance, and more meaty monsters may be anywhere in between 0 and 100. This is factored in on top of the 1/3.

Note also, a very semantic point, rather than your dagger becoming 11-12, it becomes 11-4 until the end of the damage calculation routine. Only then, if the minimum is still larger than maximum, does max get set to min+1. For example, if you had Might, Str bonus etc enough to get 10 times the damage, you would not get 11-12 turning into 110-120, instead you would get 11-4 becoming 110-40 which would then become 110-111. The dagger will in fact say 11-12 though, but it'll be lying to you.

Derrick1001

Diabloii.Net Member
Countess is ALWAYS Fire/Cold immune. She is never lightening immune.

I know this because I run her with Pixie Dust who is a single tree light sorcie.

When she is lightening enchanted, she does have upped light resistance but she is still not immune.

Thrugg

Diabloii.Net Member
She would be, but in 1.10 no monster is allowed to have triple immunity. So the last immunity gained (which for the Countess is the LI because she is FICI even before her random mods are added) is reduced to "only" 95%.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko the Sane said:
-If I get my hands on a Pul rune (I think it's Pul, anyway), should I upgrade Ribcracker (to be socketed + shael if up'd) (I've got a fury druid that could use a weapon to look forward to), Titan's (non-ethereal), or something else? Suggestions welcome.
The Ribcracker. If you upgrade weapons, upgrade the ones you'll be using with skills that have %ED. Upgrading titans is largely a waste of runes, imo, even if they're eth. I wouldn't really care if the ribcracker doesn't hit the final fury BP, stuff will still die very fast, I know that from experience. And you can use it on a multitude of builds, unlike titans.

phatbrava

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko the Sane said:
do you want to fully synergyse LF?
that's a waste of skill points IMO, the bonuses are only 1% / skill point for each synergy
I would rather go for a hybrid LF/Plague Javazon.
That poison damage is HUGE

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Thrugg said:
She would be, but in 1.10 no monster is allowed to have triple immunity. So the last immunity gained (which for the Countess is the LI because she is FICI even before her random mods are added) is reduced to "only" 95%.
Thought that too, but it seems the rules are a little different. There's a thread about on the AB forums, problably still on the first page of the technical discussion.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Wonko the Sane said:
Yes, any act 2 merc with a Savage Polearm/Halberd (easy to cube with the chipped diamonds you find until you have the cube) can drag you to act 4 easily. On /p8, that gets you to level 32 on a full clear.