Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wonders of 3D Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ash Housewares, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Wonders of 3D Video Games

ok, time for a video game old timer to vent his seething rage and dissapointment

Now, I'm not going to go as far back as the good old days of having a different joystick/controller for every game, no, I'm just jumping back to the late 80s to mid 90s, remember back then there were these super fun games, you would run from one end of the screen to the other, it was called 2D, Mario, Sonic, and all the other stuff that ripped off the same basic forumla.

What I want to know, is WHY!? why did it have to end!! Perhaps mario has survived in the eyes of some, I have hated everything since Mario64, and there's no denying Sonic has never been the same since 3D blast. I promised myself I wouldn't cry... but I'm a dinosaur playing the scrapheap games of yesteryear, where did it all go? Damn you 3D!!! From the instant I first saw you I knew you were trouble, its a 2D screen how do you make the game 3D, cursed gimmicks, of all of them I knew you to be the worst.

Oh sure, making new 3D games is all well and good, but is the bastardization of my beloved 2D friends that wrenches at my heart... I suppose I could play some Sonic Mega Collection or Viewtiful Joe, thank god some vestige of the old ways survives... Castlevania Symphony of the Night... save me! ok, that was overly dramatic, I'm going to cry myself to sleep now

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I hated platform games. I thought they were all boring and repetetive.

3. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Word up brother. Mario for life! ::throws up Italian plumber gang signs::

4. Ash Housewares

thats fine, I feel better now, all thats left now is to see if I can fulfill my quest to make a thread without it getting locked

and I have grown rusty, I used to have every piece of music from sonic to s&k memorized

5. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Im there with you brudda. I always felt that way about castlevania. I dont know that any of the 3D releases (Castlevania64, the one after that on 64 and lament of innocence) could live up to the originals (I consider those to be I-III, super IV, symphony and a few of the GBA titles) in gameplay or story line. I also thought Id feel that way about metroid prime, but that game rocked. I say follow the prime formula, if you are going to take a classic and make it 3D, you spend a good couple of years making it damn good!

6. Ash Housewares

discounting castlevania64, things are going pretty well with the castlevania series IMHO, lament of innocence isn't half bad and atleast they keep crankin out 2Ders on GBA

7. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Yeah it would be great if Nintendo could just drop some titles from the 3d world. Obviously they worked wonders with metroid and I dont doubt its 3dness at all, some could argue the same for zelda (windwaker is an amazing game but alas I couldnt get into it).

I stopped buying console games once I realized I had like 11 for this Gen and Ive only actually "beaten" like 2 or 3 since I just get bored with the rest.

8. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

I think Ash has a point but I think there could be one good reason he is opinionated(is it even a word?) so.

The 3D effects are in many games used as a "slap on" kind of thing which means yes there are 3D EFFECTS but you could have done the same without them, saving much processor time and it would be playable with an older system. I mean what's the use of having the effects if you are not going to use them to their full potential.

Its like taking a sausage and putting a sugar coating on it.
    - sausages are good
    - sugar is good
    - so sausage with a sugar coating MUST be good

*hopes the analogy works*

9. Squeezle

Squeezle IncGamers Member

I agree. Way too many games' selling point is graphics. Graphics don't make the game. They make some of it and are pretty important, but it's how fun the game is that matters (sort of like women, if ya know what I mean :flip: ).

10. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

I agree.

I didn´t realize I felt this way until four years ago when I got Bangai-O for my Dreamcast. Man... that game just blew me away. It´s SO awesome. A good old 2D shooter.

I´d really like to see more 2D games as well.

11. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

well, I kinda like my women to have good graphics and gameplay depth....but with video games the gameplay is essential, and the graphics are a bonus.

12. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Oh... my... god. You horrible disrespectful poop eaters. Nobody bothered to mention the BEST of the platform games... MEGAMAN (The best being the X and Zero series).

If you can and never have before, get yourself a copy of Megaman X, X2, and X3. You will be blown away, plain and simple. There is nothing in this world like the boss fights in Megaman.

*charges up his X-buster and kills everyone except Ash in the thread*

13. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Super Mario Brothers 3 is the best game in existence hands down.

14. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Of course, Ash can also work toward beating this game in under 15 minutes. I saw the video, it CAN be done. ;)

15. Ash Housewares

lets not talk about the video that took several years to make

16. Squeezle

Squeezle IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant.

17. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

I recently played Zero 2. That game kicked my arse. : / Still fun to dive into old 2D games though. I got Yoshi's Island not too long ago for my GBA and I have say it's as fun as I remembered it, even though it's mostly a no brainer type of game.

18. th5418

th5418 Banned

Platform games. Ugh, except the PS or PS2 platform games. :D

19. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

Without 3D games, the entire WORLD would become 2D. Yeah, imagine just walking right to go to the 7-11. They invented 3D games to save the universe from collapsing in on itself.

With your help and donations, we can break :clap: <---Mr. Jumpy's confines of a 2D reality and give him another dimension to move in. Please, think of the smilies!

20. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

I agree with what some people are saying, that is, that some games are better left 2D. Games like castlevania and metroid, while not visually stunning (relatively speaking), had a dynamic story to draw you in. It seems that now, these classics are resting upon great visual effects and little or no plot.

However, there are exceptions, most notably metal gear. It came to excellence on the 3D platform because that is the trend, but the plot didnt let down one bit. It seems that some of the old gamemakers are getting lazy...