Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wondering about the Grail

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Silver Moon, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Silver Moon

Silver Moon IncGamers Member

So I've been reading about the grail where you have to collect every set and unquie item in Diablo 2. It seems like an intresting topic. I have some questions about it since I am very new to the subject.

Do most players attempt to complete the grail? Is it the most significant achievement in the game?

Is there any difference between a self found grail and a traded grail besides being able to trade for items?

To players like Grape (correct me if I am wrong) who have completed the grail, how long did it take and what are your goals now after finishing the grail?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

2. mir

mir IncGamers Member

1. I can only answer about myself here, I'm not trying to complete the grail but just doing mf runs. Have some items I would like to find (wf) some items I dont care for....the grail is just a bonus.

2. Traded item....hmm.....it just feel wrong for me

Edit: for some people it's the most significant achievement. IMO it's a bit sad since they probably stop playing once it's done.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

I would assume that most people don't seriously attempt the grail, no. For most I assume it's something they either pay no attention to or keep vague track of.

As for the other question here, it would be very hard to call anything "the most significant achievement in the game" since there's always something else to work towards, if you're so inclined. It is a very serious milestone worthy of celebration, no doubt, though.

No difference other than what you could safely assume, I would wager. A traded grail is a little less prestigious, especially depending on what you traded for, and so has a different table in the grail thread, but it's not like there's any tangible difference.

How long it takes varies. There are some incredibly rare items required for the grail which may take a very long time to find. The expected time to find a Tyrael's Might if you are geared with magic find in mind and running a good target is still many, many hundreds of hours.

4. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

maareek pretty much answered already, but few more answers never hurts.

I'm with maareek here. Quite few us here have an idea how many they have left about, but it's just mostly something to keep a track on while playing and doing other things besides pure MFing.

Well it's easy to come up with some even more time consuming goals. Or even something that's obviously impossible to achieve. But I'd say it's among the most significant while being easily quantifiable and still somewhat realistic.

Unfortunately I have no good guesses in terms of hours. A lot is a good one. From my SPF start (autumn 2012) it took about three years in total. While I was totally absent for months from the game and while there were times when I could and wanted to play the game for everyday. There was one 99 char in between. Few different characters focusing solely on magic finding, each doing thousands of runs in their chosen area.

Well number 1 goal is now to enjoy my stashes while I still like playing this game. Trying out different builds and playing through the game with them. I also still like to attempt the MFO, RFO and Zodathon type of tournaments here, still finding improvements to my items all the time.

Secondary goals. I'm two runewords short of having every runeword in the game, so that's definitely something I'll finish sooner or later. Would be also nice to one day see a Zod. That just happens if it happens, no pressure :p I have also counted my eth Grail, and will keep doing so, but I have no real goals regarding that.

5. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

As said, while a bunch of people have had a go at the grail to varying degrees, its not most. Some never want to attempt it, some burn out. You have to ask yourself, what is important, is it the destination of having 0 left? or is about the journey of finding lots of cool things. Those cool things could power many characters and builds ... or will they collect virtual dust?

In my personal opinion, a trade grail is not very meaningful. You may have rich/generous friends who give you lots of things. Perhaps you get lucky on someones giveaway. Some people will do some runs to get stuff as trade bait, and the thrill for them is in the wheeling and dealing with other real people. I personally like the roll the dice and look for the gold letters on the ground myself. A trade grail is MUCH easier to get to near the end/finish than self found. And while its not cheating, if you have ever put god mode on in a game, while its fun to be really powerful, it gets boring. I think if you trade, you get to the end of the journey quicker. It depends what motivates you.

6. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

1. Gomule can give you a grail output. If you keep everything in one project, there is no extra effort.
    2. It feels nice to find something you have never found before, and kinda gives you a little motivation while trying to get a Death's Web, Stormlash, Death's Fathom, etc.
    3. It feels nice to find something you have never found before, which is why people nowadays but almost no importance on a traded grail. When the new items were first out and everything had worth and you could trade for the rare stuff at a value near their rarity, it was a little different and the traded grail was also prestigious.
    4. There are people even more nuts. There is a spreadsheet around here tracking a perfect grail, where one enters the variable rolls of every item and it tracks how close to 100% they are. Good luck with that one.
    5. There is also a runeword grail thread somewhere. I think someone in that thread even championed for making a runeword in every different available item. I would like to say @Kitteh has it done for some low runeword that can go in about everything.
    6. There are also different ilvl grails, where some people have collected the same item from every possible monster level that can drop it. I can't remember the items done, but I thought one was a low level set.

As you can see, there is a lot of inventive things people do to keep things fresh and to add a goal. Being at grail -2 or -1 doesn't guarantee to you that you are close (in hours) to finishing. For the record, I am at grail -32, so I am not necessarily even close :)

Kitteh likes this.
  7. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

I can only second what has already been said here.

For me personally, when I started out in SP, a grail certainly wasn't the goal. I just wanted to find good items and then make fun builds around those items. I quickly started GoMule however, and the built-in report application to keep track of all my gear did appeal to the completionist in me. Not that a grail is something I'm trying to get at this stage, but it is fun to see the number of remaining S/U decrease.

It's something for collectors though. I mean, if you want efficiency, and make the strongest possible characters, it's not really about hard to obtain S/Us (with the exception of a few items like Death's Web, Windforce, Death's Fathom, ...), it's high end runewords and items like Ruby Jewels of Fervor that you really want. Just look at the stats of the most rare S/U in the game, Tyreal's Might, for example, and compare it to the stronger runewords like Fortitude and Chains of Honor out there. It's only a collector's item. One that I wouldn't mind finding some day though ... ;).

8. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Almost. I have begun to 'collect' runewords, with a variety of different bases, just because I like collecting stuff. No specific goal though :)

Regarding the grail, I am on -3 I think, but focusing on a 99er and tournaments so it is only by chance that I am likely to complete it. Although eventually, I will :p

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I'm Grail -3 after about 10 years of playing, but I don't really do many MF runs. Most of my items were found whilst levelling characters.

Biggest achievement in the game is beating @Gripphon in PvP / MFO / ZFO / RFO etc. Agreed.

10. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

I think goals and motivation are completely different from one person to the next.

I personally hate MF running (though enjoy Superchests) so I've never really considered the grail as something worthwhile for me. If there are any unique items I need for a build, I can usually attain them by trading a cache of PGems, and I'd much rather do that than spend my limited playing time MFing.

I like tournaments and other similar projects, that's what keeps me interested

11. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Hehe, yeah, probably this :).

12. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I quite enjoying do blocks of runs (such as my 5k AT) and seeing what I get from it - I don't even know why :p

Silver Moon likes this.