Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Women in the workplace

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by buttershug, May 25, 2008.

1. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Women in the workplace

Once a long long time ago a guy at work said he didn't like working with women because they were too emotional.

I bit my tongue because he was an egotistical boss.

But I would rather deal with emotional women then eogtisical men.

Over the years of working I've only met a couple women who were emotional in the workplace, out of maybe hundreds. And they didn't bother me in the least.

Egotisical men on the other hand. There have been many and boy did they bother me.

But of course anything men can do, women can do better.
    (other than get women pregnant and grow beards and even then an ex-gf of mine could grow a beard better than a lot guys I've worked with)

And one Female General Manager I worked for had the biggest ego of anyone I"ve ever met.

Anyone else find the same kind of thing?
    That women are not generally emotional and a lot of guys have ego problems. But that women can have the biggest egos of anyone?

2. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

Re: Women in the workplace

I don't know about ego's, I'm not a psychologist. But I do know that men are much, much more often the whiny baby of a group than women. Even those one had previously thought to be level-headed can lash out beyond all proportion, especially when egged on by colleagues who also feel wronged.

These petulant children should of course be pitied, not scorned.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  3. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

We have nine women and four men at my office. I report directly to a woman president. She trusts my judgement on geological matters and often asks for advice. I have no problem working with her.

Some of the clerical women at my workplace have a tendency to gossip and have petty squabbles on occasion. I try to stay out of such hen fights as much as possible.

Five of the women are born-again fundamentalist Christians. We don't discuss geological ages much ...

Overall, we all get along pretty well. I have been there for 17 years and rank third from the bottom in seniority.

4. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Oh I bet she does.

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

This was making the rounds in fluff news pieces recently.

Of course I seem to recall another article saying exactly the opposite before that.

Upward mobility works on a geological timescale too eh?

When I was doing Earth Sciences at uni (they made me) I was in a lab with a guy who wanted to do it for a career, he said that he was somewhat discouraged when he discovered that to get a job in that field you basically have to wait for someone to die.

6. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Hmm. Our team consists mostly of women and we're the ones doing the work. Lately even all of it. It's the men who are always ill (with the sort of mild cold we'd not stay home for but go to work instead), or who do'nt work at all, or who are just feeble idiots (that only applies to two people there though).

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

The biggest problem I've had with working with women is that some of them have such a desire to not be dismissed as women that they become ultra-aggressive and "hardcore" and really overdo it. Even most of the men don't behave like them but it seems that they're just trying way too hard to not be seen as their gender. In reality it ends up that people just don't want to work with them.

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Well if you don't like your colleagues ... change jobs.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

We have a roughly even male/female mix, works out alright. Women are easier to get along with, generally speaking.

10. WzWz

WzWz IncGamers Member

That attitude leads to quite an unsuccessful business.

11. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

It all depends on the job. If it's anything physical I'd rather not have any females around, they just can't do what man can (sorry ladies, pure physical differences).

I'm very competitive, that usually doesn't sit well with any female colleagues/co-students either.

MMM: So the answer would be : In general they can do their mental jobs just as well as any man.
    Personnaly I dont like to work with them.

12. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

In my experience, all of the people who have "gone off the deep end" during lively debates amongst coworkers have been women, ao they do tend to get riled up quicker than men, in my experience. As far as who makes a better manager, it's hard to say, as I've had good and bad managers of both genders. If I had to pick, I'd say a larger proportion of women managers are good compared to their male counterparts.

Of course, where I work, there is still a large segment of the 'Ole Boys Network around, who have been working at the company since before you were born and who, when everyone else has gone home, like to regale you with stories of "how it used to be". And frequently, these stories are not women-friendly tales . . .

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

That's a pretty poor solution. I've never been in a job where I like everyone. And if they're out of line why should I change jobs to suit them?

14. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

That doesn't necessarily mean women make better managers. It just means that the current women managers carry a specific set of traits. Perhaps it's just a reflection of elevated standards for promoting women.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

True, but surely the standards for promoting women are actually lower, unless all those people complaining about affirmative action being prejudiced are full of **** or something...

16. Vespar

Vespar IncGamers Member

I found the issue of women in the workplace to be a very dangerous issue especially when I was in the military.

Often the case was that women in the military wanted to be treated equally, paid equally, given the same benefits, but then expected to be held to a different standard.

I was in a techincal field that while it was technical still called for heavy lifting as many of the parts for the machinery I worked on would weigh in at 50-90 lbs. each. Now, all of the females that ended up in this particular job knew that there would be heavy lifting required and still went in the field, but then complained if they were given orders to haul parts.

In a squad of 10 people where 4 of them were females if was really hard to mantain equipment when 2/5ths of your squad wouldn't help with relocation. Any complaints from the males were immediately addressed with remarks of sexism.

It actually use to get under my skin when a couple of the females inparticular would use "that time of the month" as an excuse to dodge some of the more undesirable work. Especially one, who managed to get away with using the excuse at least every other month and once twice within a 2 1/2 week period.

I think that, of course, the job dictates really whether the workplace is ideal for females or not. Hell, there's plenty of workplaces that really aren't ideal for males.

17. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Like jobs that don't pay well?

18. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

My Kitchen seems like the perfect place.

19. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I use to work at Kodak in the manufacturing area, a nice dark, quite area. When the site went onto 24 hr shifts and hired a good number of employees they had to hire a fair percentage of women because of their equal opportunity policy. Can you believe that management were shocked with the amount of fraternisation going on? :rolleyes: Back to the OT, more or less, given a choice, I'd prefer to work with a group of women than a group of men. When you have authority over them, they trend to be less obstructive and when they have authority over you they tend to use it more wisely.

20. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Wise Women ?