Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Women in football

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nastie_Bowie, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Women in football

What is everyone's opinion on the Katie Hnida scandal, that has been shaping up in last few days?

The alleged **** is inexcusable, if true. What did the young lady expect for a response? Open arms and a warm welcome?

Come on!

2. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

How about, "We're treating this as a criminal investigation and will bring charges if there is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecution"?

3. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Mac,

Please don't misunderstand me. **** is a despiccable act. In no way do I condone it in any form.

Why would a young lady want to be in a male dominated sport? This situation is the same as the young lady who legally forced her way into "The Citadel" (male military acedemy) a few years back. Why set yourself up for something you know will get ugly? What does it prove?

Doesn't make sense to me. :scratch:

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

By saying that you are almost excusing what they did since it is a male dominated sport and putting the blame on her. This is not like walking alone at night in the bad part of town nearly naked. These are college-age guys on a football team. They are supposed to be the role models for the school.

5. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

I disagree that the two cases are the same. From what I remember of the girl who went to the Citadel she was trying to make a statement whereas the articles I found on CNN.com about this case suggests she did it because she wanted to play football.

My bro and I both play hockey (I play roller, he plays ice) and in every league we have been in most of the teams have had one or more girls on. I actually had a female friend who practically lived to play hockey. Now, hockey (with the exception of field hockey) is primarily a male dominated sport but I have never had a problem with girls on the team. Currently I practise with my college's roller hockey team (I suck to much to play in the games, but they're pretty open about who comes to practices) and there are two girls on the team, one of whom is the teams primary goalie, and I have never seen them treated as anything other than members of the team. My conclusion, most football players have taken to many blows to the head or have an excess of testosterone.

6. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

By this logic:

All crimes involving a police officer as the victim should not be prosecuted. After all, the officer knew she was going to be in the line of fire. It's her own fault for getting shot.

There should be no laws for the prosecution of robbery. The victim should know better than to have any items worth more than a few dollars in his or her house or on his or her property.

Insurance companies shouldn't have to pay anything. After all, you chose to drive.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Thanks for clearing that up, NB. Your initial post was a little confusing.

As for why a woman would want to try her hand at anything tradtionally male-dominated, be it sports, education, etc. I say, why not? If she's qualified, there's no reason to deny her an opportunity based on her sex. Besides, she may really like football and this is the only way she can participate.

8. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

please correct me if i'm wrong (i probably am) but it almost seems like you're hinting at the fact that because she chose to be in a very male dominated sport, she should have expected something like this to happen, which is obviously no excuse :p

i find this all to be well.. stupid

i can't even explain my opinion anymore, i've confoozled myself :bonk:

9. advil

advil IncGamers Member

did anyone know that barnett's the highest paid employee of the state of colorado?

who'd've thunk it...

10. Lithium

Lithium IncGamers Member

Wow Anyee, you really excell at twisting around words. Or Flamebaiting. Or whatever you will want to classify it as.

As for your flawed analogy, N_B would've said "what did the cop expect when he busted into a bar run by heavily armed criminals". You get the idea, he actually did condemn ****, and it should be. I do, however think she should expect open warms, so lay off of calling me a rapist, or anything like that.

11. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Nope, I read it as N_B using the boys will be boys excuse and essentially blaming her. I thought that men were able to control themselves sexually and should be held responsible for committing crimes. I thought that men had some respect for women or, if not that, the law. But apparently by being female and near men, her sheer existance was enough to overcome their iron-willed resistance to her charms and all but forced them to **** her. There is always a choice, Lithium. They didn't have to **** her. They didn't have a motive to. This wasn't desperation or entrapment. It was merely a crime.

12. Lithium

Lithium IncGamers Member

And where, exactly, have I stated otherwise? It's a crime. It's despicable. It was against her will. There was a choice.

"Nope, I read it as N_B using the boys will be boys excuse and essentially blaming her." Hey wow, I didn't.

By the way, those men were guilty 100%, and should get a horrible punishment.

13. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Excuse the dumb Canuck, but could someone provide a link? I'm very curious as to the story here.

14. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

There's also no evidence as yet that she was *****, apart from her accusation. However, Anyee seems to be positive that an assault did occur.

I love the idea that everyone accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty, unless you're really sure that they did it and even though you know none of the particulars of the case.

This happens a lot in this forum, and I don't mean to pick on Anyee. I just wish I was as omniscient as the rest of y'all.

Edit: See! Lithium knows they're guilty and he's on the other side of the Atlantic!

For the Steel-belted Canuck.

15. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

I could see a case for her making up the story. I don't see any justification for a "What do you expect." No woman deserves to be *****. Period. I don't see how you could think otherwise, but then again, I'm not male.

Clarify: I've never been in a situation where I could not control myself sexually. Maybe it is different with men.

16. advil

advil IncGamers Member

uh, stating the obvious and i know you're being sarcastic, but no. :)

and this particular male doesn't see how any person with a shred of decency could think otherwise either. Barnett's implication that she deserved it or should've expected it was despicable (and i don't see how he could've been taken out of context, based on the quote i heard). i hope they fire his ***.

17. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I think it reflects badly on the males that the situation did get ugly.

18. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

To echo Advil, nope, lack of sexual self-control is not a purely male phenomenon. But then again, you know that. You also know better than to lump all males together in a single group; a couple of men are nice.

I'll also add that not just males are capable of ****. But, you knew that too.

19. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Only one of the guys allegedly ***** her. If guilty it would reflect on him.

Why does a woman go into something like football, a physical contact sport, totally testosterone enhanced, knowing full well that acceptance by her teammates probably won't happen. In short totally going against the grain. Hockey I can almost understand, but, not football.

The rapist, if guilty should be hung. Because of time, Katie cannot prove anything, now, unfortunately. If I were his juror, I would need DNA proof before I would hang him.

20. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

And on the coach and the rest of the team for creating an environment in which that sort of behavior was acceptable.

In other words, it's her own damn fault for getting ***** because that's what happens to women who do something unladylike.