Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Woman battering men, whoda thunk...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hippie Holocost, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Hippie Holocost

Hippie Holocost IncGamers Member

Woman battering men, whoda thunk...

I got in an agruement with my family tonight about the suffering of women.

Frankly, I know that in many societies women are treated horribly and I have seen it first hand, but on the other hand I am sick of hearing about "womens rights" and so forth...

I found two statistics on the internet tonight, one said that a woman is beaten by a spouse every 18 seconds and the other said that a man is beaten by his spouse every 14 seconds... (in the US).

heres the rant....

I'm so friggin sick of it. Some of the greatest leaders of human history were women (Queen Elizabeth, Cleopatra, Joan of Arc, etc.) yet if I say that woman aren't as "mistreated" as they are sometime made out to be, I'm a pig.

anyway comments....

Edit: Not really much of a rant but I'm not trying to be overly offensive tonight ;)

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Not many people realize that men are abused, too. It's incredibly underreported mostly because the victims don't want to be seen as weak for letting their wives or girlfriends abuse them. I doubt your statistics, though. There's never been a reputable study done on male abuse victimization precisely because there's no statistics to back it up due to the lack of reporting. It is, however, known to be much more frequent than most people realize.

3. Hippie Holocost

Well I know that domestic abuse statistics are usually inaccurate, but I figured that the error would even itself out to some extent, meaning that in general men are actually beaten more than women nowdays.

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

It depends on your definition of beating. A slap may constitute an assault, which is probably what they're including, but overall women are still beaten worse than men. The assaults on women are almost always more vicious and damaging. I'm fairly sure they're still beaten more frequently, too, but I have no stats to back it up for the reasons stated above.

5. Hippie Holocost

well thats a generalzation that men are stronger than women. While I can agree with that, the strength of the slap is irrelevant because I believe the emotion distress is the same, either way womens suffering in the US is WAY exxagerated now days...

6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

What's your basis for such a statement? Spousal abuse is a serious, prevailing and frequent problem in the U.S and Canada. Wife abuse is not any more important than husband abuse, but it's certainly not blown out of proportion. I don't think it's exagerated at all.

7. Hippie Holocost

Well it certainly steals the show, since it is obvious that woman beating men doesn't exactly hit the front page.... I know that spousal abuse is a problem, and of course its not good. But it is not a rampant problem. only 7% (about 10 years ago, that was the lastest I found) of women admit to being abused. Now of course the real number is actually higher than that, but it is still a minority of couples in the US. And my original facts still stand, while there may be error, the error most likely does not change the point I was making....

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Sorry, but you're wrong. I don't know where you got that 7% but it's horribly innacurate and out of date. More than 50% of women have been in an abusive relationship at one point in their lives. Between 30-50% of murdered women are killed from domestic violence. 95% of abusive relationships are against women, with the remaining 5% against men. It's not blown out of proportion. It's a serious problem.

9. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Do you have the cite on the original source? I'm really curious to read about it.

10. Hippie Holocost

that 50% most likely includes all types of abuse, such as verbal etc. my 7% was strictly physical in 1994

11. Hippie Holocost

I'm about to start studying for my SOCL exam (yes at 2 in the morning) but i'll try to find it again for you, I googled it but I remember that they had their works cited...

12. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

No, actually it only includes violent assault.

Edit: Your sample is out of date. Current U.S. Justice stats put the number of assaults on female partners at over 22% with men at over 7%. I have stats at home that put the number much higher.

13. Hippie Holocost

hmm better make sure, because what I have says that 7% of all married women were physically abused, while 37% were emtionally or verbally abused...

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/ipv01.txt

My stats from my criminology classes puts the number much higher, but take what you will from it. It's a lot higher now than 7%, though.

http://ncjrs.org/txtfiles1/nij/181867.txt

Edit: I just realized why my stats are much higher. Mine are statisics from women 12 and over, while this one is from 18 and over.

15. Hippie Holocost

I'll be back tommorow with the web sites I got my information from, but right now I honestly don't have the time. I'm trying to dodge you here, I promise I'll try to get back to you soon with more information...

16. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

In related news, my sister was recently arrested for beating the complete crap out of her boyfriend in a drunken stupor. I remember the days when she used to smack me around.

Women demand respect and fear.

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I would no sooner let a woman get away with smacking me than I would let a man get away with hitting me.

18. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

How about both at the same time?

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Uhhh... what? I don't think your reply works in the context of my post. :D

20. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

**** is one of the most underreported crimes. Male **** is probably even less often reported. And yes, male **** is possible.

It is a shame that social stigmas prevent the reporting of these serious crimes.

Domestic abuse, though, is a very difficult concept for police and our criminal justice system in general to handle. It isnt best for many of these beaters to arrest them. This can make the situation worse. For some, it helps. There is not much way of knowing.