Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wolfhowl Summon Charge Synergies and Additional Questions

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Ax2Grind, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind Diabloii.Net Member

Wolfhowl Summon Charge Synergies and Additional Questions

Wolfhowl gives Dire Wolf charges, Beast gives Grizzly charges (along with more to Lycanthropy and added Werebear skill) along with 40% increased attack speed and Fanaticism aura, and Crescent Moon gives Spirit Wolf charges with only 20%IAS. This still synergize each other, but few questions if using this gear:

1. Since CM is slower than Beast to even them out in attack speed I should use weapons that are 20% apart. With the only similar weapon they can both use being axes then is the correct choice a three-open-socket war spike for CM and a 5oS ettin axe for Beast?
    2. A pure Druid summoner build, Hunter, uses Spirit of Barbs (pun), a Thorns Desert Warrior and Iron Maiden charges, however seeing as these are charges and not just a character using replenishable mana (takes a lot of money to repair items) this design would probably be more offensive than the Druid, especially with Fant. Should the Pride-wearing Might Desert Warrior, Wisp Projector (for SLvl5 Heart of Wolverine, not SoB), and Atma's Scarab (for Amplify Damage) be the combination?
    3. For all the specialty designs a specific character build is ideal, and a Wolfhowl-wearing Barbarian should be able to change into wolf/bear form at will. The most +skill items would help this, but with this being mostly a summon assistance design could a pure Frenzy build work with this combination well, given such a characcter normally uses an Ice Wolf (i.e. only switch to a Might Warrior if you have the runes for Pride, and then only if you don't want to make another character)?
    I've done a quick scan of the Wolfbarb build guide in the other section, but short of reading those many pages (I'll get around to it when I'm finished inventory) I'm pretty sure it was devoted specifically to wolf instead of summon variant. Any other help would be appreciated.

2. Uzziah

Uzziah Diabloii.Net Member

You should look into this Magi_barb guide.

It's my guide on how to make a summoner barb using the wolfhowl and those two runewords, as well as how to add a strong clay golem into the mix.

3. Ax2Grind

Two Heart of Wolverine charges

Lots of runewords there, although Death and Oath weren't listed. They can both be in axes, further enhancing the mastery, though one has 50%IAS and the other has squat. The BER for Beast and VEX for Death are the only things keeping this build from being ultra-popular alternate builds. The VEX isn't that hard to get, as a couple GULs should be easy to get a hold of, but you're right about that BER.

I think a pure Frenzy Barbarian could do this with a moderate amount of success, since his skills are Frenzy, Double Swing, Berserk, Taunt and Axe Mastery. A design around all of this gear (Wolfbarb and summons all getting into the fray) would probably be the ultimate set-up. A question though:

Would casting Heart of Wolverine from Oath stay after switching weapons if the character was wearing a Wisp Projector?

4. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

It would stay.

5. Uzziah

the guide was written for single player those are realm only runewords.

It will stay at the level it was cast as long as there is some skill from some where still present. IE if you have HoW from Oath and switch without having a charged item else where, your HoW will go poof. This is the same reason you use dire wolves not grizzlys or spirit wolves with the summoner barb, as the wolfhowl stays on your barb all the time.

A warning, trade windows equal death to your summons when playing a summoner, when a trade is completed your equipment is reset (taken off put back on, to check str/dex requirements), this will make your summons go poof.

6. batuchka

batuchka Diabloii.Net Member

Wow that is very interesting info about that HOW charges from oath being up if one weapon switches and not going poof if you had a wisp equipped :D I suggest building a Concentrate-Summoner Barb with Warcry for defensive/stun support for summons hehe. BO gives a nice synergy to concentrate and shout gives synergy to zerk for PIs Also Beast shall actually be the weapon which he attacks his foes. Skillswise:

Max BO
    Max Shout
    Max Axe Mastery
    Max Concentrate
    Rest into Warcry (for stun length)

Gearwise :

Beast Zerker (fan aura/cb)
    Wolfhowl (option of 3 direwolves or a Grizzly)
    Stormshield (dr/block)
    Stone Archon/Dusk (high def/clay)
    Highlords (ds/+skill)
    Gores (lovely mods)
    Dracs (ll/lifetap/ow)
    Wisp (HOW/lightning absorb)
    AR+ dual leech rare ring (ll/ml)
    trang belt (cbf/life)

On Switch :
    Oath (HOW)
    Bloodmoon Elegant Blade (to synergise clay)

This kind of barb has great AR, 35%dr, block, nice dmg, cb, ds, ow and makes minions survive longer with warcry stun hehe. Merc shall be might and equipped with a polearm that doesn't overide lifetap from dracs. A Crescent Moon Ogre /Cryptic Axe is a good idea for static IMO.So enitre party damage is boosted by might+How from Oath + fan aura from beast :p Beast in zerker/29 skill_ias lvl 9 fan hits 9fpa concentrate with 4ias and we hit that with highlords.The only expensive things would be the beast and wisp (depends on stats) i guess hehe Lastly all minions are boosted by Shout/BO and you have option of direwolves or a grizzly :D Clay shall be slowing minion tank possibly hitting 5k life too! Warcry GCs and life scs to add gloss to this build hehe. This setup is possible for ladder only i guess.

7. Ax2Grind

Hot Damn (like in Redneck Rampage)!

I noticed that, that's why I didn't spot your thread in the other section. Perhaps placing it there and having single-player alterations would be a good idea. Have to make sure the admins don't mind what they might consider a double-posting.

Wonder if it's worth wearing the ring. Would make sense since dual-weapon builds don't have shields and need all the help they can get.

Yeah, bonuses a Necromancer summoner gets from gear get reset in certain instances, but he has hard points in those skills to keep most of his minions, whereas this build depends totally on charges and loses them all. The reset is treated like taking off all your gear and putting it back on, if I remember correctly.

8. Uzziah

You're missing the crescant moon to be with the beast so you get a nearly full synergized dire wolves. And you're also missing the point of the summoner to have your summons kill things, you don't need a skill to use so you can use iron skin and natural resistances to keep you fully protected. warcry is only really to keep monsters off of you not to stun them for extended time frames.

You would be using 3 dire wolves and 1 clay golem both synergized and both increased by your warcries, they will have no trouble surviving and they will be plenty strong. you leave beast as your weapon to boost damage for your 5 minions (including your might merc).

The only problem you will run into is the PI's out there and for that I suggest loading up on poison charms, you can get 3k damage from poison charms without great hassle, especially if you have trangs gloves. Another option is to use a HF merc for the crowd control that should handle the PI problems as well.

9. riplix

riplix Diabloii.Net Member

quick not on this: a HF merc can't deal with PIs since his cold dmg is rediculous without synergies. crecent moon pole might help at least a little. besides you almost need a might merc for this build to boost dmg of all those minons.

10. Ax2Grind

A better way to deal with physical immunes

The CM/Beast would allow your attack speed to be high enough in wolf form, and maxed (if I'm correct) if using a Frenzier, to activate Atma's Scarab quite frequently. Might Warrior using Pride for Concentration, Beast's Fanaticism and Heart of Wolverine with Amplify Damage hitpower... woof!

11. riplix

riplix Diabloii.Net Member

amp doens't always remove PI. as a matter of fact it works pretty rarely.

12. Harleyquin

Harleyquin Diabloii.Net Member

Does it? So long as a monster has less than 120 physical resist amplify damage should be sufficient to break physical immunity. Only case I can think of is hardcore melee monster boss packs with stone skin. I've never seen a physical immune I couldn't break (barring possessed monsters) in the 1st 4 acts of Hell

13. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

There are 28 monster types with physical resistance of 71 or higher. With Stone Skin they get 125+% physical resist, aka permantly immune.

14. Harleyquin

Harleyquin Diabloii.Net Member

I see, I think gloams and ghost-class creatures are 2 of the 28 types. Do you have the other 26 categories?

15. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

Blunderbore
    Mauler
    Frenzytaur (Glacial Trail)
    Frenzytaur (Ancient Way)
    Blood Lord (Vampire)
    Ghoul Lord
    Dark Lord
    Burning Soul
    Black Soul
    Gloam (WSK2)

Innate PI:
    Night Marauder
    Ghost
    Wraith
    Specter
    Apparition
    Dark Shape
    Hell Temptress
    Stygian Fury
    Frenzytaur (Crystalline Passage)
    Itchies
    Black Locusts
    Plague Bugs (swarm)
    Hell Swarm

Leaving those that don't spawn away and those with the same name, but different stats it ends up at 23 monsters that could have unbreakable PI. Initial amount was higher, because I only looked at the amount of monsters in monstats.txt, which holds more monsters than you see in-game.

16. Ax2Grind

Exactly

It must be a boss with that specific bonus, and usually the minions can be taken care of one by one while your pets keep the rest occupied. The weapons in question have nice hitpowers and CM, in particular, lowers resistance as well as ignites Static Field. Only an "Immune to Lightning, Stone Skin, Cursed, Extra Fast/Strong"-type boss would be dangerous, and isn't there always a ceratin group of abilities uniques can have that are dangerous to any specific build? You deal with them if they spawn, either by wearing them down (a real challenge not to be undertaken in hardcore) or by leading them away and parking them. No sweat.

17. Ax2Grind

Oops?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ax2Grind
    Would casting Heart of Wolverine from Oath stay after switching weapons if the character was wearing a Wisp Projector?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / message -->
    Apparantly someone has tested this and concluded otherwise. Did this change with 1.11 or is there another reason it doesn't work as stated?

18. RTB

RTB Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I also remember that they broke this feature when 1.11 was released.

19. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Two things:

- Post #17 does not make sense to me. RTB's quote and Uzziah's quote are saying the same thing, are they not?
    - I was under the impression that amp would not break PIs with 120% physical resistance (100%/5 = 20%) since physical resist would still be 100%. Yet post #13 says 125%pr = permanently immune. What am I missing here?

Also the whole thing would have to be done in 1.10 since the charges "feature" was changed in 1.11

20. Delreich

Delreich Diabloii.Net Member

125 > 120. :tongue:
    That is, 125% is unbreakable, but isn't the minimum required for unbreakabillity.

Another possibillity is that it's a simple typo... how big a phys.res. bonus does stone skin give?