Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wolfhowl Fury Visor: Anybody actually use it?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by ZappaFan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Wolfhowl Fury Visor: Anybody actually use it?

Anybody actually using this thing? What's it good for? What Barb skills can be used with it? Almost seems to me that you'd have to plan a build specifically for it. I found one of these in WS3 over the weekend and was thinking about trying it on my lvl 77 Conc barb for giggles just to see what he could do with it (or not do as the case may be).

2. aleks

aleks IncGamers Member

i heard u can not use ANY barb skills which in wolf form. u can only use the feral rage skill and normal attack. i have seen alot of people building a new barb just around this helm and the werewolf ability. they usually got more life and ar when in this form. i heard some even having 6k+

im going to try make a barb aroudn this helm too, if i ever find a good one

3. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Hmmm. Well the max Feral Rage you can get is 6, so I'm really curious how anybody gets much damage if they can't use anything other than normal attack.

So you can't throw while in wolf form or anything else? That just seems decidely unimpressive. I'll have to experiement around.

4. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Well, actually, you can get +6 feral from the helm, and then any other +all skills items you have will boost it up more (Ammy, armor, weapons, etc).

The real reason to use it though is if you roleplay, or want to make more of a tank barb. You can use it in combination with the "beast" runeword, cast all your warcries, then shift into bear form and change off your helm and weapon for better ones. This way you'll get all the shifting/lycan bonuses to your bear shift from Beast, and you'll get the abilities of ironskin, shout, BO, NR, Inc Speed, Mastery, and BC added to the extra life and defense from the werebear form.

It's pretty nice actually, since the barb's natural block rate and vit-to-life ratio make them more suited to being a bear than druids. You can easily get 7 or 8k+ life, along with tons of standing defense; you just can't use any of your cries or combat skills, of course, but if you just want to absorb hits for the party, there's nothing better.

-Hal

5. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

I have a nearly perfect one (3/4/6/6)..

I've been considering basing a build around it but I can't for the life of me even think of one :D

Maybe a windhammer feral rage barb. That's about all that springs to mind..

6. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

Hal or anybody, I wonder if you used an armour like Guardian Angel plus a Stormshield if your blocking would be outrageous too. So that along with a super high dam 1H weap and you may even deal out thousands of dam too. using something with lifetap i bet you could duel pallys too.

7. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

What do you mean? Blocking caps out at 75%, period. The damage isn't half bad, though I believe when i tried it out with my 7k barb it dropped to about 4.5...that was a coupleof weeks ago though, I can't remember the exact total.

-Hal

8. banditto1969

banditto1969 IncGamers Member

Cool thanks. explains more than 1 question in the same answer. so using that armour would make using a shield with good mods but crappy block shield not too shabby. something for me to think about

9. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Exactly ;) Just remember that the formula is based on dex, shield block rate, and character level, so each time you level up, you have to put a bit more in dex to maintain max block. Just hover your pointer over your defense total in the character screen to see what your block rate currently is.

-Hal

10. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

You can use the helm and not transform into a WW. It has decent stats, and the best thing for a two-handed Concentration barb would be the help of 3 little wolfes to take hits for him while he slices one monster after another :)

I know there are better helms out there, but if you want to use it, make a build that really can use some minions. A thrower might be glad for 3 more minions backing him up too while he stands back and targets...

/Magnus

11. kreestopearq

kreestopearq IncGamers Member

Is there a definitive answer?

Hey. I was considering making a werebarb, but before I do so I wonder: can we use barb attacks in wereform or not? I was thinking concentrate, but I'd rather not waste the points if they do me no good. Anyone know for sure how this works?

Thanks.

12. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

As mentioned above, no, you cannot use any of your warcries or combat skills while shifted.

-Hal

13. kreestopearq

kreestopearq IncGamers Member

So then is it worth it to make a werebarb? Anyone know of any guides on the subject?

14. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

the reason that werewofl barbs can be good is that barbs the wolf form can have some serious life with BO and Lycanthropy and +3 lycanthropy from beast.

so the lack of maxed feral rage is pretty much cancelled out by the insane life... AND the weapon mastery

i have seen some good wolf barbs in the duel arena.. i think its a good helm and I want to make a shifting barb...

in fact I think a shifted barb with MAX BO and +9 lycanthropy from beast and wolfhowl and then even higher with some other stuff like arkaines valor etc etc... I think werebarb can beat a weredruid that does physical dmg. (rabies and fire claw I dont think they can beat)

anyways.. i think it has alot of potential.. keep in mind barb also has a weapon mastery too.

the werebear ont he other hand i dont think can work... Normal attacks are horrible... you dont get any special bear attacks and thus it really sucks... you need some sort of modified attack.

thnx
    stef

15. Schizofrenic Penguin

Schizofrenic Penguin IncGamers Member

And theres that little thing of barbs being able to hit a 3 frame attack in wolfie form :)

16. Lordjim

Lordjim IncGamers Member

This is one of the most intreaging this I have read in a while!!! Is this true can someone confirm this?? Veryyyyyyyy interesting.......................

:xsmile5:

17. Schizofrenic Penguin

Schizofrenic Penguin IncGamers Member

18. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

I gotta say, a were IK barb is kinda fun to play around with. Just go outside and cast your full ik yells, then put on the helm and shift, then put the ik helm on for that awesome glow. 2 shaels in the maul is decently fast and packs a punch.

19. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I just did some testing in single player. Made a lvl 85 barb with the following equipment:

Wolfhowl
    Arkaine's Valor
    BK ring
    Manald Heal
    Stormshield
    Arachnid Mesh
    Gore Rider
    Dracul's Grasp
    'Beast' war spike

Skills as follows:
    20 Shout
    20 BO
    1 BC
    20 Axe mastery
    20 Iron Skin
    1 Natural resist
    1 Increased Speed
    some spare points left over.

I used enough dex for 75% block, probably too much in str, the rest in vit.

This gives 3.6k life, 20k def, 7.4k ar and a measly 0.8-1.3k damage. That could probably be boosted a lot with charms.

He attacks very fast and kills stuff in reasonable time, mostly via crushing blow I suppose. He can take a lot of punishment.

One problem I can see with attempting a real build like this is that it has no combat skills whatsoever and Wolfhowl has a level requirement of 79, so until then you have no main attack.

Regarding the 3-frame attack: I thought that 3-frame attacks were bugged and did no damage?

20. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

No physical dmg, but it transfers elemental .... still better than the phase blade, use a 4 shael griz caddy... it at least has a half decent physical dmg for those times when it does transfer something :p... still a 3 frame barb deals too little physical dmg and too little elemental dmg to be of any use IMHO, because the barb has no natural elemental dmg....