Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wolfbarb- The Ultimate Guide

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Zero-unit, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

Wolfbarb- The Ultimate Guide

Hello, and welcome to my very first guide on this forum. I had chose to do a guide on a commonly underestimated varient build known as Wolfbarbs. This guide will explain
    the basics to a successful Wolfbarb from Advantages, Bonuses, and Equipment and such.
    Table of Contents:
    I. Purposes and Goals
    II. Stat point placement
    III. Skill point placement
    IV. Equipment
    V. Charms
    VI. Advantages and Disadvantages
    VII. Conclusion

I. Purposes and Goals:
    As a Wolfbarb the shifting abilities you obtain have some valued attributes you would want to take an advantage of. Such as attributes like Speed, Life, and Attack Rating will benefit you best from these. So it would be important that your equipment is made up of plus skills items to make usage of the skills.
    Maximum Damge Reduction by % is a must have, and Defense Rating will be greatly factored here.

II. Stat point placement:
    Strength- In Strength I would add more than the required amount for your Equipment, about 5-10 extra points are good.

Dexterity- Put the amount of Dexterity needed for maximum Blocking %efficiency.

Vitality- This is the most important part of all your Stat points, being that each point adds 4 to Life. After Strength and Dexterity has been finished put your remaining points to here.

Energy- Leave this one alone, it wont be needed.

III. Skill point placement:
    There would be 4 major points of interest, 2 prequesites, and 2 minor skills.
    Each of these would be used so you don't waste anything!

20 -Weapon- Mastery- Based on the type of weapon you are using, by picking a classed mastery you can improve your Damage and Attack Rating.

20 Iron Skin- Defense is very vital to this build . Iron skin will enhance your overall Defense.

20 Shout- Another Defense modifyer, Shout will amplify your over all defense by a % making you much harder to hit.

20 Battle Orders- Here is your working part of your build, This will greatly add to Max Life, mana, and Stamina. Extending your fight duration.

10 Natural Resist- Helps your line of Resist against Elemental attacks, in a case of a Sorceress this will maker you harder to kill with Elemental.

10 Battle Command- With Battle Command, this adds one extra skill point to every skill you have. This is also a synergy for Shout, and Battle Orders.

01 Increased Stamina- This enhances your Stamina giving you a longer running duration.

01 Increased Speed- Bringing up your Faster Run/Walk speed can benefit you to catch runners, such as Amazons.

01 Howl- A prequesite needed to gain Shout, Battle Orders, and Battle Command.

IV. Equipment:
    In this part of the guide is where your wolfbarb is put together. But the following should be considered in selection. Speed, Life, Attack Rating, and Damage for best performance in your abilities.

Helm- Since a Wolfbarb revolves around "Wolfhowl Fury Visor" for Shifting skills. It is also needed for other bonuses such as Feral Rage attack.

Weapon- The weapon is your choice based on what speed and Damage you want . I recomend using the Dragoons calculator for speeds, here (Use Standard Attack for correct frame/speed.)

Shield- A "Stormshield Monarch" is recomended as the shield, becuase it offers Defense, Resist, Decent Block/Block Rate, and Damage Reduced by %.

Armor- The Armor portion is the most important of most items. This supports most of your Defense rating and the Defense you should be getting from your armor would range from 1300-2300+ Defense. I suggest.
    Arkaine's Valor Balrog Skin
    Enigma: -Elite Armor-
    Stone: -Elite Armor-

Belt- Your belt should have Damage Reduced by % the belt slot is the best place for the additional Damage Reduced. I suggest.
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord mithril coil
    String of Ears Demonhide Sash

Gloves- A beneficial type regarding Life, Damage, or Stats should be selected. I suggest.
    Bloodfist Heavy/ Sharkskin/ Vampire Bone Gloves
    Steelrend Ogre Gauntlets
    Dracul's Grasp Vampire Bone Gloves

Boots- You would want some decent Running/ Walking boots with either high Defense, Life, Hit Recovery, and/or Stats. I suggest.
    Gore Rider War Boots/ Myrmidon Greaves
    War Traveler Battle/ Mirror Boots
    Sandstorm Trek Scarabshell Boots

Amulet- Depending on the kind of Ring(s) you use, the Amulet and Ring(s) should be comboed together. I suggest.
    Angelics Wings Amulet
    Highlords Wrath Amulet
    The Cats Eye Amulet

Ring(s)- Pair these with your amulet and make sure it also matches the rest of your Equipment. I suggest.
    Raven Frost Ring(s)
    Bul-Kathos Wedding Band Ring(s)
    Angelics Halo Ring(s)

There are numerous ways you can set up you Equipment and in different effective ways. These are basic item selection and any new ides are welcomed.

V. Charms:
    As far as Charms goes it is pretty basic on what is desired. Life, Attack Rating, and Damage in all Charm types. I suggest.
    x39 Fine Small Charm(s) of Vita (3 Max Damage, 20 Attack Rating, 20 Life.)
    x01 Annihilus Small Charm

VI. Advantages and Disadvantages:
    Being in the state of a Shifted form has its ups and downs. Here is a list of a few of those things.

Advantages-
    Mass Life
    Great Speed Bonuses
    Being frozen does not effect Attack Speed.

Disadvantages-
    Lack of Damage
    Lack of Attac Rating
    Being frozen effects Run/Walk speed

VII Conclusion:
    In an overall veiw being a Wolfbarb does take some dedication and work to make use of the shift abilities. However with the correct Equipment and Charms the Wolfbarb can make a formidable fighter both in PvP and PvM. I wish luck on those who do attempt this and thankyou for reading my guide on Wolfbarbs.

2. xbrynx2

xbrynx2 IncGamers Member

o_O

Interesting, i've seen your WolfBarb own alot of Palas / Barbs and even Elementals. I love your build, keep up the good work buddy!

3. Ma3lstr0m

Ma3lstr0m IncGamers Member

I don't think that's true for a wolfbarb - that is true only for a Fury attack at 7/4/4/4/4 FPA or faster, and you don't gain Fury from Wolfhowl.
    The advantages would be just increased life and attacking speed and increased life leech (but that's not any use in PvP anyway) and ofcourse the coolness factor of having a wolfbarb ;)

4. Kodachi_ysaane

Kodachi_ysaane Banned

Drake you write your guides like a pro. nice one man, and for anyone who doubts him, his wolfbarb is one of the 2 melee characters to ever beat my whirlwind assassin, considering she can take amp smiters I think this says alot about a perfectly made wolfbarb. O.O

5. Sim.The.GoSu

Sim.The.GoSu IncGamers Member

Nice, but no strats? every guide needs a strat section. Also, what about the not so rich? Try to show more gear selection.

Kodachi, just because he beat your sin does not make him great. You may not be the best out there. And maybe this certain variant has an advantage over yours.

6. Kodachi_ysaane

Kodachi_ysaane Banned

heh, i was just trying to give him a compliment. I have seen him duel, and he is a beast! Don't try and stray away from the topic =p.

7. Zero-unit

Heh thanks for the suggestion. I tried to follow most tips on makin a guide, next time ill take your advice on this.

8. F1R3STR1D3R

F1R3STR1D3R IncGamers Member

Nice guide zero, I didn't know weapon mastery and iron skin gives bonuses to a wolf. Also didn't know being frozen does not effect Attack Speed for wolfbarb. But, I'm still a little clueless on what kinds of weapons to look for

9. Sim.The.GoSu

Not true. With proper charms, angelic combo, you can easily attain 10k+ ar.

10. F1R3STR1D3R

F1R3STR1D3R IncGamers Member

You can attain 10k ar w/o even angelic combo

11. Sim.The.GoSu

For weaps, he said check the calc, meaning, find a sexy weap and put it up there and see if it is good.

Oh btw, also, you should put the FHR rates, and dont forget to credit TheDragoon. I would suggest to remake the guide(no offencr) and add all of that.

12. Zero-unit

Eh help me out a lil what should i add?

13. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Questions

I don't understand putting 10 in battle command...
    10 in battle command has a duration of 295 seconds
    1 in battle command has a duration of 205 seconds

Both cases assuming 20 shout and 20 battle orders.
    Wouldn't it be more practicle to put the extra points in increased speed?

Is it possible to dual wield as a Werewolf or does it just calculate off the primary weapon? (I'd be interested to know if I can put a robo phase in one hand and schaffer's in the other, get the 5 frame attack and have every other hit be schaffers.)

What about Ribcracker... It's an old druid favorite and I've heard the defense bonus on it is multiplicative so it sounds like the defense would be nutz.

Lastly... what about using a beast weapon?... the fanat, should help the wolf... +3 more Lycan, and you have the option of going Bear.

Of course this is all theory and 'paper'... I'm hoping you can give me the skinny (real realm experience) since you've probably played around with this build more than I can ever dream of...

Thnx

14. Zero-unit

Hi Royalesse, yes it is posible to dual wield weapons. but the speed would account for each weapon so, if you had a robo phase and say for example shaeld scheafers when you swing with the robo phase it will be 5 frame. but when you swing with scheafers it will be 10 frames.

As for Ribcracker no doubt defense will be very high, and the speed is nice.

Now for beast unfortunatly the fanaticsm does not add to your speed, and if your concerned about skills casting ide perfer 2 Deaths webs wand, or ariocs needle, even a mang song would help. but you would want to add to were wolf and lycanthropy for more of a bonus.

[email protected]~

15. l2aider1

l2aider1 IncGamers Member

Why oh why would you make a wolf barb. THey are inferior to conc barbs as far as melee goes. I would love to duel your wolf barb to prove my point. What is your acc name.

16. Zero-unit

My account name is Zer0-unit and i play on east.

17. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

part of the appear of the wolf barb is not they are the most powerful barb out there, but that it is unconventional, like a singer or any build other than WW in 09 :lol:

I know i have great fun using my conc barbs beast axe to go werebear every once in a while.

18. l2aider1

l2aider1 IncGamers Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention. Great guide zero. Unique perspective, and definately looks fun. I think you've done a great job, could definately use some more vses info. But as far as melee goes for pvp conc barb > wolf barb.

19. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

Humm, can you give the stats for pvp conc barb?

Wolf barb would have like 2k+ more life, 3fpa ~ 4fpa feral rage, etc,

20. Tridge

Tridge IncGamers Member

i beat conc barb about 60% on my wolf barb.. so far o_O

*damonsdruggie east ladder if you wanna duel :D

ps. i made this build, albiet the extra points in bc are in inc speed/nat res in my build.. also i due a crappy shield atm ~.^