Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wolf barb on a budget

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, Mar 12, 2018.

1. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I am half way through my second 1.14 character, so it's time to plan number three. I was going to go with a singer barb, but I recently found a Wolfhowl and since I have not played one before I though it might be worth a look-see. As I have not been playing 1.14 very long, I have not had time acquire much in the way of rune wealth and my high end items are a little thin on the ground too. So, is a budget wolf barb doable? Or would it be better left until I can afford more powerful gear?

Edit: I've just have a look at the specs and even though the WW is slvl6, everything else leaves a little to be desired.

Wolfhowl
    Fury Visor
    Defense: 371
    Durability: 28 of 35
    Required Level: 79
    Required Strength: 129
    Fingerprint: 0xcf808cb0
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
    +4 to Feral Rage
    +3 to Lycanthropy
    +6 to Werewolf
    +146% Enhanced Defense
    +13 to Strength
    +10 to Dexterity
    +8 to Vitality
    Level 15 Summon Dire Wolf (14/18 Charges)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. Uthanak

Uthanak Diabloii.Net Member

I built mine on a very tight budget. You can try the on hit build. Use a 6 socket Phase blade with 5 Shael and an Eth rune. Then put gear on yourself that has added elemental damage or itemize for what you are missing.

I used a lightning jewel in my helm, then the same Phase blade, a Tiamat's rebuke shield, Raven frost ring, angelic amulet and ring, Verdungo's belt, Boots double upped Goblin toe for the crushing blow. Crafted gloves with mana leech and crushing blow for gloves.
    My armor was the Duress runeword for the crushing blow.

You hit 3 frame per attack breakpoint and can kill any monster no matter the immunities. On switch I used + skill items for prebuff, so Spirit monarch and a +skill weapon.

Hope this help, kind regards.

3. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Double upped Goblin toes require a lot of strength.

Duress is nice since it adds some cold damage aswell :)

What do you consider the best weapon you have in terms of speed plus damage?

4. TheNix

@Uthanak Thanks, sounds like some good advice.

@drmalawi I never thought about Duress, that will come in handy. I was considering an upped Ribcracker, but mine are a little low in the %ED stakes, besides a shield would probably be nice.

5. drmalawi

I know a Druid has very slow block rate in Wolf form, I don't know about Barbarian FBR in wolfform though... but you'll have about 4k life, so to qoute Brad Pitt from Troy

Upped Ribcracker is very good, even if ED roll is low :)

Also, since you will max only Mace Mastery and Battle Orders, you have huge freedom to max otherwise neglected Barb skills such as Shout (more defence), Natural Resistance (more resists, free up gear slots) and Iron Skin (hey, more defence!).

So you will have insane defense AND life, thus making usage of shield quite non-important. Since you can pretty much max natural resistance (beware of the high diminishing returns, 10 points is probably more than enough) you can go with budget damage reduction gear such as String of ears, Rockstopper, Vamp Gaze.

Since you will probably use the "Normal attack" skill, Angelic Ring + Combo is nice, and also a rare helm with the Visionary prefix (attack rating % bonus based on clvl)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Quentin likes this.
  6. TheNix

Hold it, Mace Mastery for staves?!?

7. drmalawi

Yes, mace mastery works for all Blunt weapons: wands, scepters and staffs (and ofcourse the weapons that in game reads Mace)

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That budget, how much is it?

What are you going to do with the character once you are through hell mode?

I'm still in a learning process in that respect as well. Lesson 1: Leap attack doesn't work in wolf form, two skill points wasted :rolleyes:.

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Is this RWM? If yes I would be looking at what breakpoints Oath can get you to, especially in a two hander.

IIRC Scourge or Cryptic Sword Oath is quite good 1h.

10. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I’ve been wanting to try a Wolf Barb as well. While I am not rich by any means, I have acquired a few things over the last year that could be of use. The problem is I can’t seem to break away from CS runs on my 99’er to work on other characters.

11. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Couple quick links to start you off; here's my wolfbarb thread and here's a good post about weapons on (Druid) werewolves that has a list of weapons and a strong case for upped Ribby. Here also is a thread that's linked in my Guardian thread, didn't want you to miss it.

IMO, the coolest thing about a barb being shifted is that he can duel wield. He wont use his second weapon for attacks, but it's there, giving (some of) its mods. Coupled with wolves having the best FHR in the game and some of the worst blocking in the game (same block rates for all wolf shifted characters iirc) I highly recommend a good, fast one handed weapon in one hand and a wizard spike in the other. I personally went with silence in a PB for my wolfbarb's second weapon, but wizzy provides the huge res you're probably going to be looking for. I also tested out lawbringer in the second hand and that was fun if not as good as you'd hope (the ctc decrep doesn't work).

All that being said, a two handed weapon is probably the best bet. I second the upped ribby suggestion. ED% hardly matters, it's the speed and crushing blow that makes it a good shifter weapon. Another option I played around with was full IK w/o the helm (though the armor can be tough to find). It worked out okay, I have made a few wolf Druids using the same set up and they make it through hell and beyond. I even tried the full set out after shifting and that is fun if somewhat annoying to shift then change hats. Finally, a non eth, 3os Tomb Reaver wont cost you much in trade. No one wants them usually.

PS. you can also use a Buriza-Do Kyanon as a melee weapon while shifted, though you wont have a mastery to help boost the damage.

12. maxicek

I’m not buying the SSoG post, there isn’t anything about the rest of the gear. Best is defined how? After his “incredible” Kodiak build especially.

Crushing blow is overrated for general questing. Or why use Grief and not Stormlash?

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Wow, that was the most significant piece of so far unknown knowledge I've heard for a long time! I thought at first that a wolfbarb is a bit unflexible, but this opens a whole new world of options! I have a dozen questions now!

Silence was my first thought as well:). It has the same bonus to resists, but it also has +2 to skills, FHR and that is rather helpful regarding the the wolf skills. The budget off-weapon would be a Wizardspike, however.

As it seems we have the attention of a few experts: If the secondary weapon isn't used for attacking, will it count as a non-weapon? With other words, will properties like IAS, +AR, CB, DS, leech etc. (and a not that few Silence bonuses ;) be added to the main weapon's amount or do they just become irrelevant? Will %ed count as off-weapon %ed? *looking at Stormlash stats* What about ctc on striking effects?

Apart from the question "PvP or PvM", I guess it depends on the question at which point you have enough life, defense and resists and not enough damage. My first experience was that he's very tough, but his killing speed is a bit low.

14. Uthanak

Uthanak Diabloii.Net Member

Well I would like to add an addendum. If you run out of mana and your wolf starts autoattacking instead of using feral rage, he will definitely use the 2nd weapon to attack. This can be easily verified by losing durability on your off hand weapon and only using auto attacks in wolf. I broke my offhand on a physical immune once.

A question is what do you socket in the wizardspike in that case? It being indestructible is also a nice touch.

15. maxicek

I’m talking from Assassin claw experience, but IAS, Leech, CB etc won’t work - Anything where you need to attack to work. Only passive stuff like stats, resists, +skills, auras will work.

Beast is an interesting choice for the second hand, not low budget though. I would still go 2h unless you use a Grief PB.

It does seem from on a quick play with the Weapon Speed Calculator that the base of the off hand weapon does not affect attack speed.

16. Pavel

Pavel Diabloii.Net Member

I tried a lot of things for a 2nd weapon, including beast, and went with a lawbringer pb in the end. Sanctuary was awesome against ghouls & such physical immunes at wsk. Azurewrath would have been better, but I didn't have it. Never noticed off hand weapon hitting though. Had feral rage behind right button, and a successful feral seemed to be faster, next hit after a missed attack seemed slower. Iirc. It's been a while.

17. drmalawi

I thought auto attack always used main weapon and never the off-hand weapon?

18. nebux

nebux Diabloii.Net Member

mine used a grief pb and SS. you can go with an upped ribbie and shaftshop as a cheap option. leveled mine before respec was a thing so i just used the old leveling tricks

19. TheNix

Gee, lots of great discussion over night and I've got a lot to think about! As for budget, the best rune I have atm is a Gul - so there is not a lot of wealth there. I'm playing RWM so that does open some options if I get some more runes. Off to work soon, the students are not going to teach themselves maths, so I'll have a ponder.

20. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't doubt if I were you, if you have a Ribcracker. Equip it, start killing things quickly, up it when you reach the desired level, kill some more monsters quickly and never look back.

Shapeshifter Druids have terrible block rates, but very good hit recovery (especially Werewolves) so definitely go 2H. Feral Rage, your main attack skill, offers, huge life steal. Combined with a lot of hitpoints and a lot of defense, you should be able to leech whatever life you loose.