Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Woes of a Necromancer

Discussion in 'PvP' started by riath, Mar 19, 2005.

1. riath

riath IncGamers Member

Woes of a Necromancer

I have recently built a typical bone necromancer. The marrows/enigma/homo type. In my limited experience duiling with him, I have encountered some difficulty with a few character classes, mostly sorcs and fohers.

I have ~50 stacked light resist, and am working on finding more +res scs, but is there anything I can do other than stack up resists? I tried hiding in a fort of bonewalls a couple of times, but the pally could hit me anyways. With charge, it is difficult to hit them with spears or spirits, and teeth simply doest kill fast enough here. What can I do to improve my game here?

Fball sorcs in particular are problems. With their higher cast rate, I generally come out behind in the typical tele+spam spear sort of encounter. At close range, they can usually get the first shot off and kill me from there. I have been using teeth a lot here, and playing deffensively, but they seem to be able to catch up with me before I can whittle them down far enough. Are there any particular patters or ways to teleport to make it more difficult for them to hit me? The strategy that I find mildy effective against the sorcs I duel in pubbies is to teleport defensivley and use spirit. They will come at me, and sometimes get tripped up and killed by the spirits. Is there a better way to do this?

Most melee chars I can keep at a distance and kill with spears, but what are the best strategies against windys and trappers? I have been using teeth to kill oak sages, and trying to hit them with spears, but they close the gap very quickly and I dont last long in front of a couple tornadoes. Agressive trappers who make good use for mindblast are pesky too. It smeems they have a greater range than my teeth, making it usless as a primary offensive skill, and spirits are slow and spears are not too difficult to dodge. I have tried covering the screen in spirits, but they often retreat and hide behind a house or something. It is hard to get close enough to spear accurately, because if i get onscreen, the chances of getting caught in a lock are much too high for my liking.

Can somebody help me with a few tips and ways to combat these classes. Any pointers in general would be greatly appreciated too.

2. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

If they dont have enigma, or can't teleport, decrepify them, spam bone walls so they cant run in a straight line, then cast spirits.

I dont even have enigma, and I beat ww barbs with botd and all that. As long as they dont teleport, I just decrep them, then run around shooting sprits as they miss me with ww. But some times I run in the wrong direction and die from a ww.

I cant teleport, so bowazons are a pain the butt for me.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

OKay my last post just got blasted so I'll make this short.

FOH'ers: Shield with PTopaz for resists...clay golem to take FOH hits, will only cost 1 point, use Thundergods for absorb.
    Fireball: Use absorb..plenty of it around (rising sun, dwarf star,etc) just don't use them all at once.
    Meleers: Decreipify as Emerald Dragon says...that curse is a killer:)
    Trappers: Topazes in shield..get more faster hit recovery if you're struggling with mind blast.

Hope this helps.

4. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

even with resist. es fireball sorcs are a pain to deal with. you can try not being as agressive and spaming spirits. es can only take acouple before it breaks. when you see her taking in a shot or you youll ahve to tele in and spear her to death.

for trappers. simpley stay back and spam spirits. if they are going to stand in thei traps al day then that'll take care of em.

against windies the general strat they use is to name lock tele then spam. even if u tele once they can end up on top of you so your best bet is to tele twice so you catch em off guard (if u teleport the second time, he'll lose his name lock on you). dont try to kill of the oak. when your spearing itll most likely kill the oak since they are suicidal. dont use spirits against windies.. spears and teeths tend to be more effective.

5. riath

riath IncGamers Member

I have been having bad experiences with namelocking windies. Whenever I get right up next to them like that, my spears don't hit them. It could be the summon stacking, but it has happened against windies who only have one wolf left. Have you ever experienced something like this?

I duel publicly, so changing out my shield is something I would like to try and avoid. Without it I lose max block, and it already has 60 resists on it. I suppose I will just go look for some 10-11% light res charms.
    I have maxed lightning resist, so a ptopaz shield would be useless against trappers. I am currently at the 39% bp, would it be worth shaeling my shako to kick it up a frame?
    I suppose I could always just throw on some absorb for the casters, but I'm looking for ways to gain an advantage without having to use absorb.
    THanks for the suggestions. Keep em' coming.

6. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

well the spears should break the minion stack since the doggies move away. ive never experienced this but if u want i can test with you. just msg me.

*lonelydk

nl west

7. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

I find that fireball sorcs and orb sorcs are the most difficult fight for a necro if you're not absorbing. But if you're on west nonladder, and if a fireball sorc hits 200% fcr while still maintaing a high amount of damage, they're using a certain bugged item so I think it's justified to use absorb against them. You can counter foh with a golem and stacked lightning resist. Since you don't need max block against caster, you can switch to a 3 LO hat if you don't want to switch to a 4 soc shield. Against trapped, get lots of fhr to avoid mindblast and it shouldn't be too difficult.

8. no2fakeshakes

no2fakeshakes IncGamers Member

not all 200 fcr sorcs on west wear wizgloves or wizarmors

9. jordy666

jordy666 IncGamers Member

these actually exist :eek:
    i thought they were a joke.
    1 more reason to stay on europe :D

-jordy :rolleyes:

10. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

Necs cant beat good eshieldsorcs without maxres/absorb period.

As for fohers, just smack on an ort:ed kiras guardian for ~100 extra lightres.
    Use claygolem and walls as distraction and play offensive with massive spam of spirits/spears. You can also try to get some 25-30% lightres gc:s as replacement for a few skillers. It doesn't hurt your damage much...