Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wizard and Monk Resource Ideas

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by JumpyMonkey, Oct 21, 2009.

1. JumpyMonkey

JumpyMonkey IncGamers Member

Wizard and Monk Resource Ideas

Here are my ideas for the wizard and monk resources!

Wizard: Engraving

The resource orb will look like a pentagram with 5 symbols between/at each point.
    The wizard will have two types of spells: engraving spells and consuming spells.

Engraving spells will activate a symbol (or possibly more than one depending on the spell/talents) when used. Each activated symbol will increase damage done but will also add a chance of damaging the wizard when spells are used. The chance of self damage is low with one symbol activated and the chance of happening and damage done increases dramatically with more symbols activated.

Consuming spells will "deactivate" symbols depending on how long the wizard charges the spell (hold down button and then release or tap button to consume no symbols). Consuming the symbols will grant a bonus effect depending on the spell used. Consuming more than one symbol will increase the effect or possibly cause a different effect depending on the number of symbols consumed. Consuming spells have a really low chance of activating the first symbol if used when no symbols are currently activated.

Monk: Chi

The resource will have two types: Yin and Yang. The monk will have 3 of each type and recharge at a fixed rate (which both could be altered by talents). Similar to a Death Knight's rune system.

The monk could have various possibly combos: a Yin combo, Yang combo, or a mix Yin-Yang combo.

Yin combo: using two Yin attacks in a row enabling a Yin finisher to be used.
    Yang combo: using two Yang attacks in a row enabling a Yang finisher to be used.
    Yin-Yang combo: using a Yin and then a Yang attack enabling a Yin-Yang finisher to be used which consumes one Yin and one Yang chi.

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: Wizard and Monk Resource Ideas

I like the Monk idea, though I'd do it slightly differently. The way I understand it is that it's like a balance. You start with 50% Yin and 50% Yang, and together they're always 100%. Certain skills make Yin increase and Yang decrease (the balance tips one way), others make Yang increase and Yin decrease (the other way). So you're forced to use at least 2 skills to make sure the balance is kept. Keeping the balance close to 50-50 gives you a bonus.

The wizzard idea isn't bad either, but I've never minded the mana system.

3. Chorkstain

Chorkstain IncGamers Member

The Yin/Yang system means you have to choose skills from each side of centre. While some people think this will amount to combinations of builds that wouldn't normally happen (and I agree) I also feel that it will close many doors to builds that could exist otherwise.

The Wizard idea seems okay, but I don't like the idea of taking damage from spellcasting, since it would split your attention between the action and the health bar too much. Jay Wilson suggested a trade of attack power and safety, but I don't think damage is the right way to do it. Maybe a stun effect would be more appropriate.

4. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I think both of these are too complicated.
    Look at Fury: When you hit monsters Fury goes up and slowly repelish when you're not.
    That's short, understandable and simple.
    Your ideas, to me at least, aren't.
    I think Jay said that the Resources ideas should be kept as simple as possible. If it takes more than a couple of sentences to describe or hard to understand in writing- Then it's no good.

5. JumpyMonkey

Not sure if the first comment was directed at me but I'll talk about it anyway. With my system players don't have to choose skills from each side, they can go with either side or a combination if they wanted to. A player could choose to focus on yin skills and then grab skills that alter yang chi so they can use it as yin chi if they wanted to.

You realize a stun could result in more damage done to you with high possibility of dying as well depending on what you're fighting. Everyone should have to watch their health in this type of game, if the player has no risk of dying, whats the point of the health orb? With my system you could sit at 1-3 symbols activated and not worry too much about taking damage from spells. I didn't include numbers but my idea was to have something around these numbers:

1 symbol = 5% chance for 5% damage, 10% damage bonus
    2 symbols = 10% chance for 5% damage, 20% damage bonus
    3 symbols = 20% chance for 5% damage, 30% damage bonus
    4 symbols = 35% chance for 10% damage, 50% damage bonus
    5 symbols = 50% chance for 10% damage, 100% damage bonus

My monk idea is really only a couple sentences, I just included some extra stuff about combos. I'm sure I could simplify the wizard one into a couple sentences but I was trying to explain as many details as I could.

6. Panzerschwein

Panzerschwein IncGamers Member

I like where you're coming from with the Ying-Yang thing, but I just got another idea in regards to it:

Basic Idea
    One globe has a standard ying yang black/white symbol on it when you start. When you use a ying skill the white portion grows and the black portion shrinks, and the opposite for yang. When the globe is all one color your abilities suffer half effectiveness, but for every percent that the colors come back into balance you gain effectiveness. Your full potential achieved when you have a perfect 50/50 split.

Further Explanation
    If you use a ying skill, you must balance it out with a yang to keep yourself at your peak performance. You must plan out your skill selection and usage strategically so that you can maintain balance. Use a ying skill, then use a yang, and alternate. Or use a big yang skill followed by lots of weak ying skills. Or combine in combos.
    I'm thinking there could be a slow regeneration of whichever side is currently weaker, but not anything fast enough for combat. Certain skills could make health orbs move it toward a balanced position, as could some sort of meditative skill.

7. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

Heh... sounds a lot like my Yin/Yang idea. :whistling:

To be fair, sometimes things can't be easily explained in words, especially when trying to describe it using flavor/lore instead of pure mathematics. Sometimes, things need to be shown to be understood.

8. Chorkstain

It's true, you have to pay attention to your health bar regardless. Maybe if I were to address my concern with an example...

So you're blasting away and you forget to look at your energy levels. All of a sudden your health drains away! What happened? Instinctively we players pay attention to our health bar when we're taking hits, but with spellcasting the concern of paying attention to health would be intermittent, so it's hard to be constantly vigilant. If you merely get stunned, then you're getting instant feedback that you should maybe take it easy for a few seconds.

And of course, getting that little stun could be very lethal, of that I have no doubt. Wizards tend to rely on mobility to stay alive.

And for my criticism of the Monk idea, I was really just thinking of the other Yin Yang thread. But I have to ask, how does this resource system relate to the Monk's playing style?

9. JumpyMonkey

They could easily add an animation when you take damage from your own spell, they would need one for sure! I would hate it as well if there was no indication.

From what I understand the monk is suppose to be a dash in, attack and then back out to recover for another assault. With a fixed recharge, the monk can dash in, use combo and then dash out, and know exactly when his resource is going to be back so he can dash in again for another combo.

10. LittleOldLady

LittleOldLady IncGamers Member

I prefer the wizard idea (forget whose it was, sorry!) in another thread where you just take more damage (from monsters) when you're resource is high. You still get the damage bonus to your spells like JumpyMonkey's (though I don't see why it would have to be broken up into 5 chunks, could be anything it likes as far as I'm concerned).

You could also have a couple of passive skills (perhaps quite high up the tree, so you can get a feel for what style you prefer) which either make you gain/lose this faster. Then you could choose to make yourself less powerful (take the faster loss passive) but more safe, or the opposite.

11. JumpyMonkey

Honestly either way could work, taking damage or increase damage received, I just would prefer the way I suggested.

I used 5 symbols simply because of the correlation between a pentagram and magic, this value could change of course.

12. LittleOldLady

LittleOldLady IncGamers Member

Fair enough on the pentagram angle, could look great and be easier to understand at a glance. I just don't like taking damage from your own spells because this would encourage you to stop casting at some point (or cast something which drastically shrinks your resource). I'd rather feel happy blasting away and try to not get hit at all.

13. JumpyMonkey

There is always the option to pop a potion if you are getting low on health. I just don't see someone staying at max for long anyway, I see it more as something you can build up to real quick and then consume some symbols for a big blast.

14. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I was going to say just that.
    Your Wiz idea is simple but just too long, overdescribed and involves too many elements.
    While your Monk idea might be short but it's too complicated to understand.
    (IMO at least).

Actually, No.
    That's is what I'm going for. And I gave Fury as an example. The ideas should be easy to understand in words so even newbies will understand them the first time they'll see it in real game.

15. JumpyMonkey

How is the monk idea too complicated? It's basically the same thing as Death Knight's rune system (from WoW) except it's 3x yin + 3x yang instead of 2x frost, 2x unholy, 2x blood...its 6 resources and each recharge at a fixed rate when used.

16. LaZeR

LaZeR IncGamers Member

I'm actually not familiar with WoW.
    Let me get this straight:
    The Monk will have a Resource pool divided into 2: Ying and Yang. Both regenerate at fixed rate when they're not used?
    Basically it's Mana divided into 2 and it just limits the player IMO.

17. Panzerschwein

Panzerschwein IncGamers Member

Haha, I didn't realize someone already had the idea. Great minds think alike.

18. JumpyMonkey

It's not exactly like mana because you technically never run out. Basically what happens is you use 1 yin chi for an attack, this triggers the cooldown for that 1 yin chi (you still have 2 more yin chi) and it recharges in 6 seconds (just as an example).

Yes early on you might not use one of the resources but with only 1 attack you could almost constantly spam it anyway. You could use it 3 times in a row and by the time you are done, the first chi would be nearly recharged or possibly already recharged.

19. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

I have posted these before but I thought I would put them together with the MS paint designs I made

Monk Resource
    [​IMG]

All skills use Chi, a set amount of resource that never increases, but quickly re-gens. (much like the rogues in WoW)
    Skills are designated as Yin skills or Yang skills. The more you use a skill in one category the more its opposite bar is full. The more a bar is full the bigger the bonus to their opposite skills.

Wizard Resource
    [​IMG]
    Each skill has a set rune cost. (From 1-3 runes) each rune lit grants bonus damage but also give a % chance of taking a % of the spell damage.

In the Middle is a release button, (which can be triggered by pressing both left and right mouse button at the same time) in which a player can discharge the built up power in an AoE blast centered on the Wizard.

20. Chorkstain

I have a better idea for a Wizard Resource.

Exploding runes!

The more you cast spells, the more runes you accrue. The more runes you have, the more damage you deal.

However, whenever you get hit, the Wizard's concentration is broken, and each rune has a chance of exploding, which means it deals damage and disappears. Runes slowly fizzle after time.

So you could keep casting spell after spell and as long as you don't get hit, you're fine. But go overboard and you could have up to 10 runes around you. If each had a 40% chance to explode, you could get hit with somewhere around four runes, possibly more, which would deal huge damage. This could make for some very volatile fights!

Passive abilities could include things like 'Concentration - decreases chance of runes exploding when Wizard takes damage' or 'Runic Might - increases power gained from runes'.