Witchyzon Socket Question

Thadar

Diabloii.Net Member
Witchyzon Socket Question

Well, I just beat NM Andy with my Lvl 51 Witchyzon. She is doin great so far, but I was just wondering what would be the best thing to socket in the Witchwild String. I could dump a couple Shaels for the IAS, but what are your thoughts?

She isnt outfitted the best at this stage, but I will rattle off her gear as of now.

Peasant Crown
166% WWS
Boneflesh
Mahim Oak Curio
Razortail
Venom Grip
Waterwalk
Manald Heal
3% ML Ring

Merc

Guillames Face
Rattlecage
"Strength" Pike

Any suggestions on gear? That and what to socket in the WWS? =)

Thanks folks!

Toppo

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I'd stick two Shaels in the bow.

LoH for gloves and more IAS from equipment.

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Another vote for shael runes. :)

Now, on the other equipment.

1) Switch armors with your mercenary. He doesn't need the hit causes monster to flee mod, you do. ;) If you need the ias and have twiththroe, put that on.

2) Cat's Eye, if you can get it, great, if not, oh, well.

3) Gloves and Helm: Sigon's will do. The helm has a partial set bonus of +attack rating, and 30%ias won't hurt. Check the tables (or the guide) to find out what ias you need to get to something like 9/2.

4) 3% mana leech ring: um... you know all those green rings you've found? ;) Another possibility is to use the angelic amulet/ring combo to get 95 more health and absurd amount of attack rating (for nightmare, anyway) if you don't need the 20%ias on a cat's eye.

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
I think we just had this thread a couple days ago, but I need to let my eyes recover a bit so I don't have a permanent image of the pits burned into my retinae.

This is all assuming that by 'witchyzon' you mean 'WWS-using strafezon,' which is what everyone else seems to mean.

Priority #1: IAS:
Breakpoints (last I heard) are:
13/3 - 0%
12/3 - 9%
11/3 - 20%
10/3 - 37%
9/3 - 63%
9/2 - 86%
8/2 - 105%
7/2 - 200%

If you don't know, the IAS framerates in question are (First shot or normal shot, etc. / Subsequent strafe shots.) i.e., if you're at the 86% breakpoint, when you strafe, your first shot is 9 frames, and the other 9ish shots are 2 frames apiece. So, at 9/2, you take 27 frames (just over a second) to shoot off 10 arrows with strafe, whereas at 9/3, you take 36 frames, and at 10/3, you take 37 frames, etc. So basically, hitting 86% IAS is a very good idea, if you can reach it. If you can't, I wouldn't use basically any IAS.

Some things that can be done to hit 86% IAS:
2 shaels in the WWS (40%)
Stealskull (unique casque - 10% IAS, dual leech, MF)
Goldwrap (unique heavy belt - 10% IAS, MF)
Laying of Hands (set bramble mitts - 20% IAS, +350% dmg/demons, +50% FR - highly recommended)
Sander's Gloves (set heavy gloves - 20% IAS, some other stuff I think)
Crow Caw (unique tigulated mail - 15% IAS, some OW and deadly strike IIRC)
Twitchthroe (unique studded leather - 20% IAS)

IAS jewels or (relatively) pricy amulets can also be used, but I'm guessing you most likely don't have much access to them.

So, my recommended budget equipment would be:
(bow) ShaelShael Witchwild String
(helm) Stealskull
(armor) Twitchthroe
(gloves) LoH(ideally) or Sanders or 20%IAS rare/craft
(belt) Razortail
(boots) Waterwalk

This is a quite inexpensive method of hitting the 9/2 breakpoint. If you don't have a stealskull, you can switch to a tal's mask + goldwrap combo, or some other such thing, and retain your leech and IAS, but give up some MF and pierce.

If you're in need of them, I've got a spare twitchthroe, goldwrap, tal's mask, and some kind of 20%ias gloves that I'm sure I don't need (I only own one stealskull, unfortunately.) So, if you're interested, reply/PM me with your email and I'll send them along. And if there's anything else you want to know, ask. I know this build pretty well.

-Isch

edit: crap. I completely forgot Sigon's. I meant to get to it when I first started writing, but by the end of my post I completely forgot. Thanks for the reminder. So, yes. As was just mentioned, Sigon's boots/belt/gloves are another excellent way to get some more IAS, MF, and lifeleech, as well as other useful mods. They provide 30% when used in conjunction with one another, so a shaelshael/twitchthroe in addition to the partial set reaches the 9/2 breakpoint. Another thing I have coming out your ears if you're lacking.

SeDnA

Diabloii.Net Member
I recommend:

WWS ShaelShael 40
Stealskull Jewel of Fervor 25
Skullder's Ptopaz
LoH 20
NosCoil 10
Cat's Eye 20
Ravenfrost/DualLeech
Waterwalks

GlennDanzig220

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's the "updated" IAS breakpoints from the amazon forum.

Originally Posted by brianc84

For some techie background information.

With some better knowledge of the animation process, a different and hopefully more accurate set of strafe breakpoints has been determined. The information here has been simplified from the information in the link above.

Strafe breakpoints for bows

0 WSM Bow
0% IAS 13/3
13% IAS 12/3
26% IAS 11/3
29% IAS 10/3
56% IAS 9/3
86% IAS 9/2
113% IAS 8/2

Derrick1001

Diabloii.Net Member
Seems like if you're aiming hard with your equipment at that 86% breakpoint your resists are going to be terrible.

I don't think I would shael it.

Toppo

Diabloii.Net Member
Derrick1001 said:
Seems like if you're aiming hard with your equipment at that 86% breakpoint your resists are going to be terrible.
Not necessarily. You can easily have 8/2 frame Strafe and still have maxed resists. Like this (sorry for the self promotion :D ).

Yeah, Deth rawks :thumbsup:

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
GG Witchyzon

This is The MF Setup I use for the Pit.

Up'WW (Shael Shael)
Tal Set helm (15 IAS)
Tal Set Armour 112MF + 65MF(Partial Bonus)
Tal Set Belt 15MF
Cat's Eye Amulet
War Travelers 41MF
Raven Frost Ring
Rare Ring (+19 STR)
Craft Gloves 20 IAS/KB or LoH

Total MF ~300 with MF Charms and Gheeds
With 95 IAS she fires at 9/2 (86 IAS needed) and kills really fast at players 5.

702 - 1019 Strafe Damage
858 - 1268 Strafe Damage + Might Merc
924 - 1351 Strafe Damage + Might Merc + Enchant from Demon Limb

She have a 100 poison Damage Small charm included in strafe damage.

With DS from WW at CL86 86% of the hits do:
~1682 - 2519

Normal Setup is:

Up'WW (Shael Shael)
Tal Set helm (15 IAS)(I don't have a Stealskull:( )
Lionheart Armour (Cheap and one of the best armours for a zon)
Nosferatu Coil 10IAS
Cat's Eye Amulet
War Travelers 41MF
Raven Frost Ring
Rare Ring (+19 STR)
Craft Gloves 20 IAS/KB

If you are Rich you can use 15 IAS Jewel with a good second Mod (+min/max Damage, %ED or Resist all)

A zon in SC don't need big resists if the monsters hit you often, something is wrong, with decoy/Valk/merc you must be very safe.

Thadar

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks all for the input. I took the advice on Sigons and placed the Helm and Gloves on her. I also dual Shaeled the WWS. Last night, I found a 7%ML RL +7 Manald Heal (Perfect One?) so I replaced the ML Ring with that and am now wearing two Manalds. I dont have a Ravenfrost so have to make do with that.

I took Summond's advice and switched armors with my merc. It is working out very well thank you!

I do have Tals Helm (the only piece of that set I have) and will be putting it on at Lvl 66. Once I get another Shael (used em all and cant cube another one, had to cube to get the 2nd one for the WWS) I will upgrade my Twitch and replace the Rattlecage with that, although I will sorely miss the "Hit Causes Monsters to Flee 40%" mod. That is a wonderful mod.

She is doing very well right now as I just beat NM Duriel on Players 8 with no problems at all. She is lvl 57 now with Max Valk, Max Strafe, 5 Pierce, 4 Penetrate thus far.

Does anyone else have any input? I appreciate everything you folks have said. Thanks again!

Lucky_Seven

Diabloii.Net Member
Thadar said:
Thanks all for the input. I took the advice on Sigons and placed the Helm and Gloves on her. I also dual Shaeled the WWS. Last night, I found a 7%ML RL +7 Manald Heal (Perfect One?) so I replaced the ML Ring with that and am now wearing two Manalds. I dont have a Ravenfrost so have to make do with that.

I took Summond's advice and switched armors with my merc. It is working out very well thank you!

I do have Tals Helm (the only piece of that set I have) and will be putting it on at Lvl 66. Once I get another Shael (used em all and cant cube another one, had to cube to get the 2nd one for the WWS) I will upgrade my Twitch and replace the Rattlecage with that, although I will sorely miss the "Hit Causes Monsters to Flee 40%" mod. That is a wonderful mod.

She is doing very well right now as I just beat NM Duriel on Players 8 with no problems at all. She is lvl 57 now with Max Valk, Max Strafe, 5 Pierce, 4 Penetrate thus far.

Does anyone else have any input? I appreciate everything you folks have said. Thanks again!

You don't need to upgrade Twitch, the extra defense don't give you real advantage.
If you have razortail Belt you want 9 points in Pierce after +skills this way you have the mx piercing. If you want to use another belt i advise to max Pierce.

Max Valk.
Max Strafe.
Max Pierce.
Max Penetrate.
1 in Pre-Req.

Use Decoy in the direction you want to move, wait a second then move your feet.

Knock-Back is your friend get some from somewhere :D.

*edit You need some plain AR(to multiply by Penetrate) you can use Charms.
You can use a demon limb on switch for the extra AR Bonus.

Death_StrikeR

Diabloii.Net Member
my clvl87 witchyzon has slvl 10 MS....
I just can't resist having a bowazon without MS :D

oh... and try to have a riphook as a weapon switch...
it's slow target is very handy if you don't have any sources in your gear....
and its easy to find, too!

a special tip..... Ancients are useless when they are slowed....

(the amplify damage dont hit that much often, what do you expect from 2%, so if you have found atma's scarab.... try using it for the ammy slot if you don't yet have a cat's eye)

Btw, i finished hell without upgrading WWS(didn't find the runes along the way). Since I played it untwinked afterall....

Enjoy your Witchyzon! :thumbsup:

Noodle

In making my FA / Strafe Witchyzon, I found Skystrike to be incredibly effective through Nightmare, as the CTC Meteor pwned. Good fun, and I'm sure I have an extra if you wanna try it out for laughs.

- Noodle