Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Witchwild String vs Windforce

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by MhUser, Mar 25, 2004.

1. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

Witchwild String vs Windforce

I did some counting and here are the results:
    Upgraded Witchwild String with 2 40/15 ias jewels damage is 231-308 (220 average) (counting 100% Chance of Deadly Strike , not counting 2% Chance to cast level 5 Amplify Damage on striking)
    speed is -30
    Windforce with shael damage is 35-539 (average 287) (in both cases char level is 99)
    speed is -30

Witchwild String lacks mana leach but it has +40 res all which is very nice for a bow zon
    I am confused about the Fires Magic Arrows or Bolts ability
    What is the level of Magic Arrow it shoots ??
    if it is lvl 20 so the stats should look like this:
    Converts 20% Physical Damage to Magic Damage +181% AR, +20 damage
    so the AMP if casted works on 80% (only the phisical part)
    if the +damage modifier of magic arrow works it should boost the bow damage alot (371-448 average 409)
    what if u use guided with it does it get bonuses from magic arrow and from guided ??
    can some 1 explain it 2 me pls

i forgot 2 mention the str req for upped Witchwild String would be 89 (134 Windforce) so u get additional 45 points for dex or vitality
    if u put it in dex it would work as an additional 45%ed jewel so the bow damage would be: 260-347 (303 average) so it beats windforce and have 2% chace for AMP which would boost the damage more (at least your merc damage i am still confused about the magic arrow :()

2. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

40/15s huh? Maybe the calculations are more applicable with legit jewels.

Unless you found 'em :uhhuh:

-Backdoor Bandit

3. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

can some1 tell me how this fires magical arrows or bolts mod work with wws pls ??

4. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

i'm not sure, but i think wws's magical arrow only fired if u use normal attack. so i dont think it'll work with strafe/multishots or other skills. for bow skills used with wws, i think you're firing 'regular arrows'.

5. MhUser

MhUser IncGamers Member

thx alot
    i think ill upgrade my wws when ill get the runes and get rid of the windforce i like wws better :D
    2 bad i have 134 str already i wasted those points
    but now i can upgrade my other gear (skulders, thunderegods vigor, etc) for additional defence :D

6. amphreded

amphreded IncGamers Member

if u hav 134 str already, with the right gear that grants +str, you can equip crown of ages. socket 2 ED/IAS jewels on it :clap:

edit: wait u r using thundergods vigor for a bowazon? how very furyzon of u

7. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

You should notice the speeddifference, WWS is a great bow when upgraded iirc, which has a -10 wsm while a windforce (hydra bow) has +10 wsm. Huge difference in breakpoints.

Also know that when casting amplified damage (from your bow), you can't shoot for a short while (in which case you cant deal any damage). Not really a big difference you may say... but every 2% of your hits makes you cast amp dmg. Happends quite a lot (especially with multiple shot/strafe).

8. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

You're also discounting one thing. You're incorporating 100% Deadly strike into the WWS damage, but you're not incorporating your normal critical strike damage into WF. If you have a 40% chance for critical strike, that's essentially 40% ED to put into the calculation.

9. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

WWS upgrades to a diamond bow which has a base speed of zero. But the original poster is still making a mistake in thinking that ADDED IAS brings the bows to the same speed which it does not. An upgraded WWS will only require 85 IAS for a 2 frame strafe which i find quite equipment friendly, freeing up some equipment slots for defensive purposes.

10. DaemonX

DaemonX IncGamers Member

untrue, because a) CS occurs regardless of your bows, so its extra damage is a moot point and b) CS and DS DO NOT STACK and have not since 108. You can't get the quadeffect happening regardless of the %s. Therefore, you add the CHANCE of CS to the CHANCE of DS, and you get pretty darn close to 100% chance - but you don't get more than 100% extra DAMAGE at any time.

11. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

I think you are a little bit confused. He's talking about CS when you use Windforce. If you use WWS, you got 100% chance of doing double damage in every shoot. If you use WF, only your CS can do double damage (assuming you don't have any other DS source), so if original poster is counting that 100% DS in his calculations, he should use some CS/DS value for doing calculations with Windforce.
    Assuming 40% CS, WF damage would be: 49-754 (Avg: 401.5)

12. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

I think the main good thing about WWS over WF is that WWS saves you a LOT of skill points. You don't need more than 1pt in Critical Strike, and you do not need a alternative mode of attack for PvM. (lvl20 magic arrow + amp damage kills PIs)

So all those points can be focused on D/A/Penetrate/Valk

13. Anidem

Anidem Banned

Wasan't this argument settled about a year ago?

14. teaandbiscuits

teaandbiscuits Banned

I have no idea.

Which bow won?

15. det

det IncGamers Member

This discussion comes along every few weeks (if not days). Just search the forums for WWS..or scroll thru the most recent (like..10) pages of this forum. WWS, WF, GSA, BotD get compared on a regular rate.

Basically you get a nice and even damage range on the WWS (like 80-110) and a far spread out range on the WF (like 20-500 or so). WWS is a [0] bow and requires 86 IAS for 9/2 Strafe, which is easily obtainable by gloves, 2 Shaels, Catseye and IAS jewel in helm. To get this on a WF you need 120 IAS (WF =[10] bow), which is a lot harder.

You will be able to kill PI's with the inherrent power of the WWS and have much more freedom skillwise and itemwise. You will much more easily get decent resists in hell with a WWS, even if you are kind of a "poor" player. Basically, if you have the WWS, the hardest thing to get might be crafting 20 IAS, KB gloves.

WWS lovers are definitely on the rise, while the WF friends seem to get less and less.

WWS fires lv 20 MA only with the normal attack, but it is enough to kill Stoneskin, PI's in hell at a decent rate.

About the Amp animation disrupting Strafe: I found this extremly annoying with my WF and Atmas in 1.09, but have never noticed it to that extend with a WWS in 1.10 any more. Maybe it still happens, but has ceased to annoy me.