Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Witchwild String or Goldstrike Arch?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by DarkFox, Feb 3, 2004.

1. DarkFox

DarkFox IncGamers Member

Witchwild String or Goldstrike Arch?

My current character (non-hardcore) is a level 75 strafeazon with lvl12 magic arrow, and posesses both a Witchwild string and a Goldstrike arch.
    A link to both bow descriptions can be found here: http://www.diabloii.net/items/uniques/weapons_bows-excep.shtml

I have a few questions to ask about these bows as I try to decide which to use:

1. Which of these bows is generally considered better as a main weapon (I'm not interested in backup, I use ali baba for my switch)
    2. is the +200% damage to undead added to the current +200% damage of Goldstrike arch for a total of 500% (100% + 400%) damage, or is it factored in at the end multiplicatively, for a total of 900% damage?
    3. Is the %chance to cast amplify damage/fist of the heavens reduced in higher difficulty (nightmare and hell) games?
    4. What would you put in the 2 sockets of Witchwild string?

2. belth

belth IncGamers Member

1) No idea, but I like CtC stuff (not to mention DS%/clvl) and found a WWS recently so it's on my newly started strafer now
    2) It's propably additive or Laying of Hands would be the only gloves worth using most of the game ;)
    3) No, but slvl7 FoH without synergies is just pretty sparkles, Amp isn't :)
    4) Something with IAS, how much depends on the rest of your gear and which breakpoint you're going for.

3. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

1. They're both considered very good - I think you should try them both yourself to see what suits you. If you've already made a big investment in Critical Strike, WWS's deadly strike is not as attractive, and you don't need WWS's amp (though it's of course always a treat), as you have MA for PIs - so perhaps Goldstrike is best.
    2. Additive.
    3. No, but like belth says, FoH is pretty useless.
    4. Shael/Nef is what I use.

4. DarkFox

DarkFox IncGamers Member

Thanks.

I'm not sure whether it's just my imagination, but I seem to get *massive* boosts to my mana globe when FOH strikes, and some melee allies have told me they get healed by it.

Anyway, I've tested the two bows quite a lot, and decided to use WWS on a switch after all... When I'm playing in hell skill level, there are too many physical immunes to miss out on the amp damage.
    I'm *so* wishing I hadn't traded that atma's scarab for Buriza now...

5. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

WWS's DS is actually a very desirable mod, especially if you decide to use it as an end-game bow. It saves you points on CS in the end, since your chance for double damage is determined by Clvl.

Amp Damage is too good to pass up, especially in conjunction with WWS's DS%, since it effectively quadruples your damage if memory serves, and that's why this bow is so good. That and the +40 to resists and slvl 20 MA. This bow is made to take down PI's easily. Upgrade it for even more damage.

Shael/Eth (ias+-25% target defense) or Shael/Nef (ias+Knockback) are the usual choices for socketing WWS. I prefer Shael/Nef, as Knockback is an excellent mod for any Bowazon to have.

Hope this helps,

-X

6. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I read somewhere on this forum before that +damage% to demons/undead does not function the same way as regular enhanced damage. Ie. it DOESN'T take the weapon damage and simply multiplies by xx% again. I believe someone said that it instead adds your base damage (perhaps weapon base damage i'm not sure) multiplied by xx% on top of your previous total damage. This means that the effect of demon/undead extra damage is much less significant, but hey every little bit helps.