Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Witch Doctor's Pets

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Doctor Salvador, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Doctor Salvador

Doctor Salvador IncGamers Member

Witch Doctor's Pets

Jay Wilson had this to say about the Witch Doctor on the 1Up interview:

"For the Witch Doctor, we wanted to create a class whose pets were not his primary source of damage output."

I respect that, since Blizzard doesn't just want a replacement for the [D2W]Necromancer[/D2W], and there isn't anything wrong with dishin' out your own pain, but I might tear up a little (just a little) if I don't have an army to do my bidding.

Methinks that the Necro will come back in an expansion (hopefully) which will once and for all fill in the summoner role, but hey, we could always use two summoners . . .

2. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

Re: Witch Doctor's Pets

I think more along the lines of a summoner who can pack his own punch. Nothing's worse than being a summoner and having 1 or 2 slip past the army and hit you in the face....and they count the zombie wall as a summonable.

On top of that the summons have different roles such as frogs slowing stuff down, zombies distracting and blocking and locusts (I count them asminions, why not) to sprea out and hit everyone.

3. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Seriously I made a pure Summoner and didn't like it one bit.
    I don't understand how the term " fun" applies when all one has to do is to stand there and let the computer do the fighting.

That is probably the reason why they made the WD, they want your character to be part of the action, and not just the summons.

Oh yeah, summoning of skeletons and golems are so passe, I sincerely hope they will never appear in D3.

4. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

... and i don't understand how much fun is too spam one spell (hamerdins, ww barbs etc.). Do you see my point? Some people like it (like me ^^). Commanding personal legion of doom give really nice feelings. I never liked druid because his creature were <nah> even with mod removing cap limit >< and looks like wd will fit same role so it making still open slot for full summoner type class maybe in exp.

Because you do not like this type of gameplay, fine, skip it but do not force yours on others.

5. raveharu

It's a different scenario, you are involved in the battle, you kill the enemies, not the computer.

Technically they are already imposing this into D3, that is why the WD was created, and Jay has already mentioned they don't want him to rely mainly on his pets to do the killing.

6. Doctor Salvador

I still believe that they are going to give the WD something more, though. In the gameplay video, it is stated that the mongrels are the first of his summons, which means there will be more. But mongrels already take up the role of the dispendable distraction.

But if they added a single golem-ish minion with some nice killing ability, it wouldn't hurt Wilson's vision of the WD. Just like how having that single grizzly bear didn't make you a summoner druid, 'cause you still had to fight along side of it.

P.S. If there is a WD golem, it should actually be able to kill uglies . . .

7. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

With summoner you are involve in the battle too even if you do not kill personally you need pay attention to fight how it evolve, cast buffs, debuffs, reinforce your army or you may loose or even die.

He is same like druid.

8. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

His summons aren't as much of an army as much as they are spells as far as I can tell. Do you think that the locust swarm, firebats or toads count as summons?

9. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Controlling an army might be fur for some, for other, it's plain annoying. Summonmancers tend to crowd the screen making it hard or impossible to have a clear view of the situation - atleast I'm suffering from this problem.
    Now, didn't blizzard said they wanted to keep things simple and clear - by for instance only 4 people in a party. Throwing a character with the same summon properties as the necromancer would ruin this idea. A single summonmancers counts for 3 or 4 other classes in the aspect of crowding the screen. So I'm afraid summonmancers won't come back.

On the other hand, do you think its better to have lots of weak summons or a few strong summons. I would like to see a few strong summons more then a lot of weak summons. They are much more functional while keeping things clear and easy.

10. raveharu

The WD will most probably be able to summon the dead aka Revive as one of their high level skills.
    But this is just my speculations :crazyeyes:

11. Mizantrop

Mizantrop IncGamers Member

Don't forget that summon mongrel is an active skill which means we can insert runes to it. Who knows what cool and different summons we can get this way beside the basic mongrel.
    Also the basic mongrel is not so basic, it gets a different effect for each damage spell you cast near it. The problem I had with it was that I wanted to keep X spell enchantment on it (say FireBomb) but it changed when I cast a Y spell. Although that is a very simple thing to fix, just make an option for that in the menu or UI.

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Combining spells and runes with mongrels should make for an awful lot of permutations. This could be fun.

13. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Maybe we could have legions of doom, reminicent of the Necro, by placing high-level multistrike runes in the WD's summon skills?

14. Doctor Salvador

Ya know, I never even pondered the possibilities of runes with the WD's summons. Maybe lethality or power runes will give them even more vicious explosions. Sounds pretty neat.

15. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

I don't need mob (like 30 skelly + plus 30 revives) to enjoy my summoner, 10 powerful and cool looking summon would be enough for me, but mongrels and cool don't work together for me ><.

16. raveharu

10 would still be too many IMO, under 10 would be better.

And you don't have to worry about that, because WD will not be a pure summoner class like the necromancer.

I doubt mongrels are the WD's main summons, they're kinda of like the basic ones which helps one to go through the start of the game. I bet the main one's will be pretty nasty :D

At least we know no more summon skellies:)smug:)

17. Leord

Leord IncGamers Member

While you are right in that the "true pet class" slot is not taken, and a Necro, or a modified Necro might appear, they have said "No Necro with release". An expansion Necro perhaps?

It would be interesting to see how they would do with pets then, to truly make it the DPS output, while still making the gameplay with other classes smooth and not blocking out the screen...

18. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

I think a pure summoner is out for now and the Witch Doctor is all we're going to get. If however the necro did return, many people would want what they had in D2, different builds. He was well built, just a bit underpowered.

19. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

When you think abotu the WD class does not need pets at all to be successful unlike the necromancer in the previous Diablo games. They both seem to be opposites to me.

20. Trax

Trax IncGamers Member

Well i think that the witch doctor will be super versatile. Seeing as he summons and Has damaging spells he will be a complex character. Not to mention his abilities that are similar to the necromancer's curses in D2.