witch DOCTOR?

lionheart

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: witch DOCTOR?

I disagree. Shaman doesnt sound right, and it has too many wow connotations. (one of the reasons I don't think we'll see paladins return).
So?? The shamans in the jungle of kurast where in d2 before wow, so now we have to get rid of all names similar to ours that wow took from us?

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

So?? The shamans in the jungle of kurast where in d2 before wow, so now we have to get rid of all names similar to ours that wow took from us?
Well, yeah basically. The shamans were an NPC though in D2.

The thing is, a LOT of people will be coming from WoW for D3, whether they play it between their WoW raids or switch over completely.

I think blizzard at least partially learned their lesson with Paladins. The name of a character can have HUGE implications on what people expect from it. And to be honest, it's simply easier and more creative to use a different name for the character for everyone involved.

Which is why I also don't think they'll use mage or priest as character classes, but they may carry over druid because in reality the druid in WoW was just an extension of the roles of the druid in D2, more or less.

lionheart

Diabloii.Net Member

Yea but the thing is that there were some fixed classes in sanctuary. What is the point of changing a lot of different names for characters that in essence do the same thing? Just because of WoW players that might come? I dont think they should get any favouritism since the game is more for diablo fans, at least i sure hope so

Brother Laz

Diabloii.Net Member

Sheesh, there is really nothing original about the WD so far as I've seen.
Other than being a cackling maniac with zombie walls? What is original about the WD is that he's a necromancer that actually works. The AI curses may actually be useful for a change. Bone wall does damage now. Corpse explosion isn't based on monster kills so it won't pose all those weird and wonderful scaling issues that plagued the skill from 1.00 all the way to 1.10.

The necro tree was one of the best designed trees in D2, but it was so poorly balanced that 90% of the skills were useless. Throw out the barbarian tree for all I care (which is exactly what they did!), but keep the necro tree and fix it (which is exactly what they did!).

Also, look at the unit model. The necromancer was supposed to be a priest, except he looked like a biker in light armor and an astronaut in heavy armor. Yay?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

Also, look at the unit model. The necromancer was supposed to be a priest, except he looked like a biker in light armor and an astronaut in heavy armor. Yay?
So very true..... ;)

Anyways I will take a look at necro in median...

AxlStrife

Diabloii.Net Member

@Laz: lol, so true about the Necro.

@whomever: Comparing characters in the Warcraft games to characters in Diablo games to argue that Diablo 3 is a ploy to attract people that play WoW or make the transition from WoW to D3 is silly. Each had an established fan base and while WoW was a different take on Warcraft. Shaman and Witch Doctor, from a flavor standpoint, are synonymous. We, as gamers, should not always have the final say in what goes into a game simply because the majority of us are not game designers and are not experts when it comes to the respective worlds in which these games take place.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the witch doctor is already spliced enough from old superior classes.

We don't need the Witch Doctor to take the thunder of the pally as well.

Everyone knows this class so far seems to have dumbed down the druid, the necro, and a part of the sorc. Why should it borrow once again from another class?

Sheesh, there is really nothing original about the WD so far as I've seen.

he is newer than the necro would be so go WD

Gamekk

Diabloii.Net Member

I think that the Witch DOCTOR should at least have some sort of healing spell included; otherwise the name is completely deceiving. What do you think?
I think healing classes ruinded every RPG game they were in touch with.

Healing just plain sucks, it sucks to level-up a healer and it's not much fun to heal others. It's just frustrating when that healing guy heals the guy you're about to kill. Healers make the fights last longer and boring, having a healer in your party is imbalance compared to those who doesn't have one. I don't want to want to NEED to search a damn healer for my group if we want to take Diablo.

Healers are a dumb idea. Just think about it, like everything gets inspired from LOTR. Do you see stupid priests gathering at the back and singing healing prayers to illuminate the orcs who gets healed for every hit they take???!!! TELL ME, CAN YOU SERIOUSLY IMAGIN THAT?! Healers have no mean to be. Healers suck.

The ONLY ones who should be able to heal are Pepin, Akara, Charsi, Ormus, Jamella, and that old rag in act V. That's it.

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of each character having 1 or 2 abilities to heal in someway (hunger, cobra strike etc.) but I would hate to see a skill tree (let alone a character) devoted to healing. My guess is that they won't go this path, as from what I can see Blizzard are trying to make Diabl3's game play different to WoW (while stealing some of their good ideas)

oh and charsi doesn't heal ;) you left out Fara and Atma

raveharu

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea of each character having 1 or 2 abilities to heal in someway (hunger, cobra strike etc.) but I would hate to see a skill tree (let alone a character) devoted to healing. My guess is that they won't go this path, as from what I can see Blizzard are trying to make Diabl3's game play different to WoW (while stealing some of their good ideas)
You must be insane, that totally kills the reason why healers are important in the game.
And its not like only WoW have healers in the game, almost all fantasy-related MMORPG have priests.

I believed the witchdoctor will be the ONLY class to have healing and anti-undead skills, but in such a way they can be an attacker as well.
In fact, I hope they remove life/mana leech from the game.

Then again, I find it ridiculous that in Diablo2, one could just open a town portal and HEAL while fighting the Lesser and Prime Evils.
Imagine how unrealistic the situation would be. This also applies to the glitch for killing Mephisto, one could just lure him and spam skills at a distance without getting hit.
We are talking about fighting one of the Prime Evil here, not some mindless zombie that follows you for fresh meat.

I hope there will be strategies needed for killing the Bosses in Diablo 3, and the prospect of adding a healer class would definitely be in good light.
Of course, this should be applicable only to multiplayer.

Last edited:

Tsumaru

Diabloii.Net Member

I kinda like the idea of support characters, as long as they can also stand on their own two feet. I mean we're not talking about a healer-specific class; but I think if the Witch Doctor had a couple of skills that could be used to heal would be nice. Debuff-curses would work really well if you're not fond of straight-up regen. I don't know what kind of negative effects you might encounter in D3, or how viable it might be, but you could give the Witch Doctor a skill or two for curing poison/cold etc. I don't know if I would dedicate a whole skill tree to it, but maybe if you had like an "Alchemy" tree, one branch of that could be for debuff cures and healing, and the others can be your offensive damaging stuff.

The main thing you need to consider when making classes, though, is that they can play the entirety of the game in single player on their own, and be fun to play as well. If you make a class which has a lot of support stuff and is predominantly just a healer; that's no fun. But on the other hand, you can also add to these classes some areas which make them useful and fun for parties in multiplayer as well. Not every class needs multiplayer value though, either. We're not making a WoW type setup here, obviously. But it would be nice for maybe 2 classes to be of more use in a group than the other classes.