witch DOCTOR?

angers

Diabloii.Net Member
witch DOCTOR?

I think that the Witch DOCTOR should at least have some sort of healing spell included; otherwise the name is completely deceiving. What do you think?

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: witch DOCTOR?

I think the witch doctor is already spliced enough from old superior classes.

We don't need the Witch Doctor to take the thunder of the pally as well.

Everyone knows this class so far seems to have dumbed down the druid, the necro, and a part of the sorc. Why should it borrow once again from another class?

Sheesh, there is really nothing original about the WD so far as I've seen.

Hello Jim

Diabloii.Net Member

I like it. The WD 3rd tree (other than summoning and plauges&fire) should be Healing. Or the P&F tree will have P attack and the 3rd tree will have Healing and Sickening. That has a nice name to it.

Hello Jim

Diabloii.Net Member

Might be but
1. We need some kind of a healer
2. The main job of the original WDs is to cure people.
3. Medicine works both way- If you know how to make someone sick, you'll know how to make someone else better.

angers

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure if any of you have played DotA (Defense of the Ancients), but there is a hero in the game that is called the Witch Doctor.

Out of the 4 spells of the hero, there is one that is for healing. For each point of mana used, a point of hp is regenerated. But most important of all, the health is given in an area of effect, therefore everyone surrounding the Witch Doctor is given 1 hp of regeneration per second.

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member

The guy just is a witch with a degree. He doesn't need to have healing powers.

Sequitur

Diabloii.Net Member

Might be but
1. We need some kind of a healer
2. The main job of the original WDs is to cure people.
3. Medicine works both way- If you know how to make someone sick, you'll know how to make someone else better.
Why do we need some kind of healer?

How many healing classes have ever been in Diablo? (if you say "the Paladin has Holy Bolt and healing aura, or that the three original classes has minor healing spells", I will scream...)

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member

How many healing classes have ever been in Diablo?
Well you answered your own question, but I'll repeat:

The paladin has holy bolt (+ FOH) and 3 healing aura's. He also has some protective aura's versus elemental damage and such.

In Diablo I there was a healing spell you could use on yourself and others.

(if you say "the Paladin has Holy Bolt and healing aura, or that the three original classes has minor healing spells", I will scream...)
*protecting ears with my hands*

angers

Diabloii.Net Member

maybe the word Doctor is ambiguous. It could very well be that the buff given to his mongrels is his way of 'healing'.

Ethika

Diabloii.Net Member

Witch Doctors IRL are spiritual healers who cure disease, illness and pshycological problems. However I don't think healing is suited to the Diablo universe, no thanks!

Animation

Diabloii.Net Member

According to Wikipedia, the term was originally used in Europe and England to refer to quacks and faith healers and people who exorcised demons and charged you for it. Con men and nut jobs.

Somehow the term later got associated with African Shamanism.

So the Witchdoctor in Diablo 3 looks to be a fantasy roleplaying version of a tribal shaman, maybe from Kurast (I havent actually read the class info on Blizzard's site yet). I guess comparing the WD in D3 to a real one is about like comparing a fantasy roleplaying Cleric to a Catholic Priest. They dont REALLY have cool powers but if they did, and you went over the top and thematic with it, you'd get a fantasy priest.

The D3 Witchdoctor is the over the top fantasy tribal shaman. All the powers fit perfectly with the layman's comic book view of what Fantasy Shamanism and maybe Voodoo would be like. Undead, spirits, powders and medicines that make disease and burn and blind and confuse, fire potions that explode ... awesome.

I think the witchdoctor is great, and I'm looking forward to it.

Lewis

Crazygeorge

Diabloii.Net Member

Healers in Diablo? Thanks but no thanks...

Quoting Paul Barnett on this one 'If you're really one of those people just want to be a medic, you like sitting at the back not doing anything, going -and I heal, and I heal, and I heal- go away'

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

I like it. The WD 3rd tree (other than summoning and plauges&fire) should be Healing. Or the P&F tree will have P attack and the 3rd tree will have Healing and Sickening. That has a nice name to it.
His third tree is curses... Didn't you watch the gameplay video?

And no healing classes in D3 please. He has a healing spell already, it's called soul harvest.

MooCQ

Diabloii.Net Member

Nobody ever cried fowl.. when a barb let off his BO.... this argument stinks..

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

It's sad that everyone speculates what is "witch doctor" when you have one right in D2.

Witch Doctor Endugu is a Flayer Shaman superunique down in the Flayer Dungeon lvl3.
It's a "Shaman". That would be much better description than pathetic "Witch Doctor"

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

It's sad that everyone speculates what is "witch doctor" when you have one right in D2.

Witch Doctor Endugu is a Flayer Shaman superunique down in the Flayer Dungeon lvl3.
It's a "Shaman". That would be much better description than pathetic "Witch Doctor"
I disagree. Shaman doesnt sound right, and it has too many wow connotations. (one of the reasons I don't think we'll see paladins return).

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I can care less about WoW, but I can imagine those people actually playing WoW would whine about not having their skills all the time.