Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Witch Doctor Versus Necromancer

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by 5zigen, Jul 12, 2008.

1. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Witch Doctor Versus Necromancer

Now we have a lot of WD vs Nec threads now, but this one is seriously serious and important.

Who do you think would win in a fight? The witch doctor or necromancer?

Personally I think it's a little early to speculate too much on which one would win in a fight, but we have to consider here.

First off, no enigma or teleport charges or stupid mercs for the necromancer, because this is necro vs WD.

First off, I think that the WD would have an early advantage for 2 reasons, first off, his summons could be enchanted with his spells. Second, zombie wall would be better vs skeletons than bone wall would be vs the enchanted mongrels.

Now if the necro has decrep and the WD doesn't, the WD might be at a slight disadvantage, however locust swarm is a more effective aoe spell than Poison nova, and firebomb isnt that bad either. Most importantly, the WD has a way to self heal with soul harvest.

You could argue for life tap for the necro minions but that means they wont be doing as much damage and its probably a wash as zombie walls hurt skeletons more than bone walls hurt mongrels.

The necs biggest advantage might be bone spear, as it is both fast ranged magical damage, which the WD doesn't have at this point.

What do you think the outcome would be. I think the WD would rock in terms of minion vs minion fights, the necromancer has more versatility in the debuffing department, but not necessarily more power I dont think. The WD destroys in terms of aoe damage, but the necro will have an advantage in the direct damage dept.

2. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

Re: Witch Doctor Versus Necromancer

It is too fast to do this kind of topic. All WD spells we saw were for sure low level exclude zombies wall which look like lvl 18 rec.
    Bonemancer would just close you in bone prison and his bone spirits would bash life out of you or slow you down with curse so you could not run away from your destiny... i mean bones spirits.
    Poisonmancer scenario? Curse -> nova -> Fire golem to finish your 1 hp char.
    Summoner without enigma has no chance with WD because he can resummon his minions easly plus wall of zombies and minion explode would do the job.

It is how look so far wait for more info about WD skills because now it's really pointless :/.

3. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

To make this fair..we need to put the necro down to as many spells as we have seen of the witchdoctor so.

Necromancer gets teeth, poison dagger, poison nova, summon skeleton, bone wall, and two curses...I'll be nice..his choice as long as below 18'th level.

4. Darker Realm

Darker Realm IncGamers Member

Why put them in conflict? If the first thing you think of new character classes is putting them to a duel to test them out, then you firmly believe that conflict produces change. Conflict is not the Way of resolution. If you want to compare the two character classes, put Necromancer and Witch Doctor in co-op game mode. I will make a new thread on this.

5. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

The old fool wouldn't stand a chance agaisnt a barrage of Bone Spirits. When your a slow magician without teleport, Bone Spirit can really be annoying. Unless he had a fast seaking spell of his own. The Locust skill doesn't last long enough to be of any use in pvp.

But we haven't seen the WD's highest level skills yet so nothing else can be said.

6. vendrox

vendrox IncGamers Member

My necromancer would win since it's completed and I got gear on it.. So, yay.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

necro win hands down, no chance in hell for the WD. how the hell can you fight someone who gets to use potions while you wait for bulbs to drop?

8. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

In that case Apocalypse..the WD wins..as he has both pots and bulbs instead of just bulbs.

9. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

It's a toss-up for me.

The Necromancer's direct damage skills are very deadly. And the Bone spells are magic damage, which is almost impossible to become immune to. (I am assuming that "magic" = "arcane" damage for D3.)

On the other hand, a very important point to make about the Witch Doctor is that his summons are not reliant on corpses. We can conclude that, in a strict fight to the death with no monsters present, a Witch Doctor would be able to raise a great deal of minions right next to the Necromancer, while the Necromancer would only be able to summon a Golem. That's a very big difference. And it favors the Witch Doctor.

All in all, it really depends on whether D3 characters can build up resistances to arcane damage the same as they can with elemental damage. If that's the case, then the fight goes to the Witch Doctor (he can simply stock up on poison and arcane immunity-boosting equipment while spamming minions and direct damage spells). If arcane damage is as hard to repel as it was in D2, then the Necromancer has the upper hand - so long as he can start spamming his Bone skills and curses before the Witch Doctor can keep him distracted with minions.

A fascinating toss-up, no?

10. Apocalypse

need mobs for bulbs and only 1 potion before a cool down, unlimited potion chugging for the win lol

11. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

Who said anything about a cooldown? I havn't seen a cooldown mentioned anywhere in any of the D3 previews. Where have you gotten this information from so that I may have a new source to peruse.

12. Apocalypse

some interview somewhere said something about it, dont remember where and i am at work now but i know i saw it somewhere. its being talked about all over the forum right now

13. Stafir

Stafir IncGamers Member

I havn't seen it being talked about everywhere..I've seen mentions of the possiblity, but no mentions whatsoever of Blizzard themself talking about it.

14. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

If it's a Summonmancer then the WD only needs to cast about three - four Locust Swarms and it will destroy the summons and eventually get round to the Necro, killing him, or the WD could simply cast Mass Confuse and the skeles/mages would end up killing the Necro. However, I will have to see the WD fully developed before I could even consider a fight between a poison/bone Necro.

I can tell already that I'm going to enjoy the WD :D

15. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that the WD can use his minion-explode skill at any point, and then summon another minion immediately!

A Necro needs corpses for Corpse Explosion. A WD does not.

16. dominos effect

dominos effect IncGamers Member

Yes the minion explode will be a huge advantage methinks and also i find the seprate pets much more interesting than the skeletons and such the necro controlled.

17. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

Keep in mind things held equal. That is, no resistances and no potions...

I still think WD would win, in general, but may have a hard time vs bone prison and bone spirit.

Even in a full minion vs full minion fight, the WD would be at a huge advantage imo. Both have a confuse spell, but if the WD has a unite confused he can simply blow it up. If the necro has a confused unit he cant do anything. And an attentive WD could blow up his pets before they die, virtually eliminating the skeletons of the necro. Plus the wd has better aoe as I mentioned before.

I also maintain that a WD would win in a non minion fight, because if the necro used bone prison or bone wall, the WD could soul harvest it for health, which would act as a self heal potentially canceling out the damage of the necro.

18. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

Is this from a in-game mechanics point of view, or a "spirit of the character" POV?

19. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

I stopped reading after your first 2 sentences because it was meanless and by the time i could just post this, I noticed that you typed THREE times first off in two paragraphs.

20. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

I checked and those 2 skills do in someway use spirits. Still don't know if it'd make sense though. :scratchchin: The idea of stealing souls from a wall of bone just seems odd to me.

You're more meanless.