Diabloii.Net Member
Witch Doctor & Necromancer?

Okay, so we get 5 classes..
Witch Doctor
Barbarian
blank [mage?]
blank [Type of Amazon/rogue]
blank [Lets just say.. necromancer]

Don't you think if those were the classes.. just going with the fact that blizzard does add the necromancer. Don't you think the witch doctor coulda been replaced with somethin cooler? almost feels like a wasted space.. they coulda gave the necro his skills (adding the necro elements of course), and we would have an extra class..

What do u guys think?

Cough* witch doctor looks goofy

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Witch Doctor & Necromancer?

The style of the Witch doctor is much more robust than the necromancer imo.

The pasty white no shirt w/ skull on shoulder thing just didnt seem realistic to me in any way shape or form.

If they had the Necromancer, yes the witch doctor would be redundant in a 5 class lineup, but they have the witch doctor which essentially would make the necro redundant in a 5 character lineup.

And the WD plays with dead things plenty. Zombie wall + zombie dogs? Voodoo was the original necromancy...

Kaeros

Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, so we get 5 classes..
Witch Doctor
Barbarian
blank [mage?]
blank [Type of Amazon/rogue]
blank [Lets just say.. necromancer]

Don't you think if those were the classes.. just going with the fact that blizzard does add the necromancer. Don't you think the witch doctor coulda been replaced with somethin cooler? almost feels like a wasted space.. they coulda gave the necro his skills (adding the necro elements of course), and we would have an extra class..

What do u guys think?

Cough* witch doctor looks goofy
Hate to turn your own logic against you, but if there are five classes and both the Witch Doctor and Necromancer make it in ... Don't you think the Necromancer coulda been replaced with something cooler? :whistling:

I know we're all very attached to the Necromancer and automatically see the Witch Doctor as an affront to his 'legacy', but I really don't think he's that goofy looking.. I can definitely see some late-game Voodoo masks covered in spines, iron, black fire, huge glowing red eyes, etc..

At the very least, the creative window is open far larger for the Witch Doctor character than it was for the rather vanilla-looking Necromancer.

Animation

Diabloii.Net Member

I love the Necromancer from D2 but the Witchdoctor is MUCH cooler. He looks cooler, and his powers all fit the vibe they are going for perfectly. Sadly, there would be too much overlap between them. I bet we won't see the Necromancer in the initial release.

We will probably get these ATs (archetypes/classes):

Brute Force Melee AT -- (Barbarian)
Tactical / Alternate Melee AT
Direct Damage Spellcaster AT
Tactical / Alternate Spellcaster AT - (Witchdoctor)
Ranged Weapons AT

For the Tactical / Alternate Melee, I'd suspect them to either re-vision the Paladin or to go for a new class entirely like a Melee-based Rogue or Thief. I'd love to see a quasi- Riddick type guy with dual-wielding daggers, acrobatic moves, critical blows, lots of dodge type passives, maybe some poisons, etc. I'd also like to see some traps skills as long as they werent too elemental in type (like the assassins fire/electric ones). Even cooler would be if he had some kind of ability to manipulate the new environments and create his own deadfalls or log traps or pit traps or something. Then he could tumble into the chaos and rip everything up with knives. :)

For a Direct Damage spellcaster, I'd be fine with a basic Wizard or Sorceress type, though it would be cool if they were tattooed spellcasters. Hey, that'd be a cool variation. The Direct Damage Wizard could have a Fire and an Ice type set of skills for the more obvious direct damage, but it'd be cool if the other type of power was Tattoos you put on your body to gain more subtle powers. I'd love to see the Curse Tree from Necromancers (or some of it) brought over as Tattoos you put on yourself that you trigger to cast Curse rituals.

For a Ranged Character, I guess some kind of Ranger / Archer / Amazon type would be appropriate. I'd love to see a combination of the Amazon and the Druid here, i.e. a Ranger. You could have Bow Skills and Animal Summon skills (but no shapechange).

Lewis

DWS

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the look of the witch doctor though I also believe it means no Necro.

On one hand, that's unfortunate because the necro is awesome. On the other hand, I do not believe they should have brought back the Barbarian because if they hadn't there would be no issue here.

Barbarian (melee)
Witch Doctor (summon/caster)

I would expect another melee character.
One ranged character.
One pure caster.

That sort of rounds out the 5. It would be cool if Necro was an expansion character though.

PontifulGC

Diabloii.Net Member

Zombie wall just has to mean no bone wall.

no bone wall = no necromancer

WD = annoying look. I bet that this is wow'ified and you cant EFFECTIVELY use weapons on a spellcaster. I am guessing everything is class specific which is retarded. So that means sticking with stupid feathers and gimic looks on the wd?

sux.

Necro is by far a more slick and entertaining person.

Jaklax

Diabloii.Net Member

If they do have the witch doctor replace the necro, i hope he doesn't turn out like the druid and look fruity in no matter what he has on..

Psycroptic

Diabloii.Net Member

There will be at least 6 classes,obviously.3 in D1, 5 in D2, D3 will have at least 6. Blizzard these days have the resources to make 6 or even 7 work. The necro will be back in. The witch doctor has more in common with the druid than the necro. Disease,fire and his summons are all druid type skill trees. The only thing even remotely necro was zombie wall. But Necros don't summon zombies, they summon skeletons, golems and revives. Necros use magic damage and poison damage.

Necro - Magic damage, poison,skeletons,golems,revives,curses

Druid - Fire,Earth,Disease,animal summons,shapeshifting,some melee ability

WD so far - fire,disease,animal summons,curses,some melee ability

So,who is in danger of being made redundant? In my opinion, the Druid.

The necro has far too much potential coolness in the new D3 engine for him to be pushed aside,not to mention an important backstory. Also, one thing we saw alot of in the gameplay trailer was skeletons being summoned....

With the barb getting charge, i think there is more chance of the pally missing out than the necro.

Sein Schatten

Diabloii.Net Member

Necro won't be a playable character in D3 classic. You have the barb and witch. Then the elemental mage needs a spot and the amazon. I guess the pala will be the last. Having 2 summoners is redundant in classic, imo.

5zigen

Diabloii.Net Member

There will be at least 6 classes,obviously.3 in D1, 5 in D2, D3 will have at least 6. Blizzard these days have the resources to make 6 or even 7 work. The necro will be back in. The witch doctor has more in common with the druid than the necro. Disease,fire and his summons are all druid type skill trees. The only thing even remotely necro was zombie wall. But Necros don't summon zombies, they summon skeletons, golems and revives. Necros use magic damage and poison damage.

Necro - Magic damage, poison,skeletons,golems,revives,curses

Druid - Fire,Earth,Disease,animal summons,shapeshifting,some melee ability

WD so far - fire,disease,animal summons,curses,some melee ability

So,who is in danger of being made redundant? In my opinion, the Druid.

The necro has far too much potential coolness in the new D3 engine for him to be pushed aside,not to mention an important backstory. Also, one thing we saw alot of in the gameplay trailer was skeletons being summoned....

With the barb getting charge, i think there is more chance of the pally missing out than the necro.
Sorry but, no.

First off:

Diablo 3 FAQ said:
How many character classes are included in Diablo III? What are they?

Five character classes will be included in the game, two of which, the barbarian and witch doctor, were revealed when the game was announced at the 2008 Blizzard Entertainment Worldwide Invitational. The other classes will be announced at a later date.
Aside from that, The witch doctor summons "animals"? Really? Because dogs that climb out of the dirt and blow up arent undead? And zombie walls are pretty interesting animals.

Psycroptic

Diabloii.Net Member

You can quote the faq if you like, but at the WWI,one blizzard rep said up to 7 classes, and another said "as many as we can". Do a search i'm sure you'll find the interviews.

Do you really think with all the talent, money and resources at their disposal these days, Blizzard will only come up with 5 classes? They could easily put all 7 D2 classes in, plus the witch doctor. Anything is possible.

okiimatsu

Diabloii.Net Member

they need to send the witch doctor back to gilligans island where he came from. ooga booga. :crazyeyes:

kontankarite

Diabloii.Net Member

You know, I kinda wish they would make at least 9 classes. That would be awesome.

The barbarian was a given. I mean, the guy had way too much **** going on in D2.

The Necromancer... well. :-/

Amazon is out. With both genders now...

Garisdacar

Diabloii.Net Member

well they need somebody to use ranged weapons, male or female. i'm thinking hunter/ranger - bow + animal summons. since WD is caster + undead summons.