Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wireless Network Signal

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jun 8, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Wireless Network Signal

Okay, so I replaced my router with the wireless one and I guess everyone in the family is going wireless now because it's too hard to draw cables around the house.

Upon looking for a wireless router, I was asked where I was going to to use this. I said I was using it at home but it needed to cover a pretty large surface area. So the guy recommended a 108mbps router, which I did not get because I was told it was not industry standard and could cause issues. Thus, I purchased a 54mbps one, and now the signal isn't strong enough (I have no idea if the speed of the router, or if that even means what I think I assume it means, affects signal penetration at all). Either way, the gist of it is, I need a stronger signal. I have use WEP encryption at 64bit which I guess requires users to enter a 5 character ASCII password to get on; coverage over my neighbors' houses is not an issue anymore.

So...what are some cheap and simple ways to boost my wireless signal? It is already located in the second floor of my house. It's in the room closest to the center of the house and gives adequate coverage all over the second floor (except in the very corners and bathrooms which I guess is alright). Now, when I move to the first floor, that's when I get practically no signal (the airport bar shows 1 out of the many signal bars to be full). And then, the internet is either slow or just doesn't work at all.

So....any suggestions?

Thanks,

masterazn

2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

The mbps is the transfer speed, not signal strength. I'm surprised that you're having problems; mine is so strong that I get interference on my wireless phone.

Can't you reuse your old cabling?

Google is your friend
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/
    http://www.techtastic.ca/articles/homemade-antenna.html
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/tritium-flatenna-cardboard-and-foil-antenna-017493.php
    http://www.wi-fihotspotsdirectory.c...r-TNC-Connectors-HGA7T-review-B0002F3G7M.html

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Interesting.

I'd like to know how this turns out.

What would happen if you put the router on the first floor (maybe up high)?

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Why can't you use the old cabling? It's still there.

As for signal strength, this sounds really odd, but turn it upside down. Rooms on the second floor are getting signal from sideways going signal. Since antennas make a oval-like signal some signal is going up into the air.

The first Airports from Apple used to have aluminum in the plastic to help deflect signals down, not sure how they do it with the Snow Airports.

Anywho, worse comes to worse those parabolic deflectors are pretty damn good.

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

The router, if placed on the first floor, must be in the garage (there's no other way to get cables out of there, the internet gateway is there). I'm not using my old wiring because it would require me to place the router in the garage.

I'm not too sure how to build those DIY antennas....can I just make a dish out of aluminium foil and tape it onto my antenna?

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I assume that means you doubt the ability of the router to reach devices inside the house? I'd give it a try anyways; war drivers generally do their WAP surfing from the street too, and they'd be in a car.

Doubtful, since it has to be a parabolic antenna - a c-shape as the plans show, rather than a dish. What's the matter with you, didn't you use Elmer's and construction paper in pre-school? :)

7. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I tried it in the garage already. I get no signal 15m away in the kitchen, probably because of all the walls. So that's a no way.

I guess I'm just stuck....to be honest, I really don't know how antennas or signals work...so I really don't know how to "direct" or "concentrate" my signal or whatever. Oh well......

8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, the circular parabola shape ( is meant to bounce the weaker return signals back to it's center. You need the receiving antenna inside and somewhat off the center of where the circle would be. Making a dish and sticking it on top of the antenna won't yield you proper results.

Seriously, what's so hard about this one - http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

sounds like you can use a Pringles can if you don't want to go the chicken wire route.

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeah I know that about parabolas...it's called the focal point or something...go go C+ in Physics.

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Wait...so say I have my ( thing.....how do I put it. I'm confused. Does the parabol reflect the beams that come out of the antenna back into a direction for a stronger signal in one direction or does it reflect the incoming signals to the antenna?

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

It certainly reflects directional incoming signals back to the WAP for a stronger return (see that graph on whichever page it was). I don't know for certain about outbound signal strength; I doubt that it matters much - you'd be better off with a wireless NIC with an antenna if you think that it is the reciept of signal that is poor.