Windy Druid Shield for PvM only

rukz

Diabloii.Net Member
Windy Druid Shield for PvM only

Hello,

First off let me start by saying I was an avid LoD player from the date it was released till 1.09, since then I have not played until about 2 weeks ago, I thought I'd make a windy druid and have been reading forums regarding this build and all of them say Spirit shield or SS, I am not sure if this is look at a PvM/PvP perspective but I plan to do little pvp. The gear I have so far collected: Shako, Enigma, Hoto, Lidless, Gloom Trap, 2 Sojs, +3 ele amulet, magefists. My question is why is Spirit better than lidless for PvM purposes?

Benefits of Spirit:
15% more cast rate than lidless
+1 extra skill than lidless
resists (who cares, cyclone armour)

Cons:
156 str required!!

I just dont see this worth it, I was planning on having about 77 str to wear my enigma, rest in vit, and a bit in energy and just enough dex to use hoto. I'm only level 24 right now so I'm open to suggestions. Also I'll admit I've been out of the loop so far so criticism is welcome :)

psych

Diabloii.Net Member
Other benefits:

huge mana (lidless gives an enhancement as well)
fhr (you will get a hard beating later in hell)
22 vita (life is always good)

Enigma gives a lot of str too, so you don't have to add that many points after 77, do the math.
Besides that 1 point in str means only 2 less life (from the lost vita), I know I would use the spirit :)

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
Other benefits:

huge mana (lidless gives an enhancement as well)
fhr (you will get a hard beating later in hell)
22 vita (life is always good)

Enigma gives a lot of str too, so you don't have to add that many points after 77, do the math.
Besides that 1 point in str means only 2 less life (from the lost vita), I know I would use the spirit :)
For pvm I would use spirit. As far as the strenght is concerned do not forget the torch (druid ones are cheap and even the lowest will help) and str on any items that you plan to wear (sandstorm treks give up to 15). Unless you want block on your char there is no better option than spirit here.

156 str is not much of an issue for enigma users, Make sure you get 99 cfr/99 fhr breakpoints and you are good to go.

MIke

rukz

Diabloii.Net Member
Okay fine, I am convinced :p
Question #2: What is a 35% fcr Spirit Shield worth/trade for these days?
Can I get one for Tals Orb?

elitenecro

Diabloii.Net Member
35 fcr are kinda expensive. The can range from 3 hrs-10hrs or even more depending on mana and magic absorb.
Best is to get one with >30 FCR because the FCR BP u are going to hit wud be 99 if I'm right. 4 socket monarchs are worth Pul and the runes to be socketed are low runes (Tal, Thul, Ort, Amn) which u sud easily be able to buy under a HR. Tal Orb isn't enough for it tho.

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
as stated above it is not likely that you get a 35 fcr spirit for a tal orb. However, since you only need 99 fcr mostly and you already have hoto (40) and magefists (20 - I would recommend trangs btw) you only need 39 fcr meaning you could get away with arach and even crappiest spirit or some combination of spirit/fcr rings/amulet. Arach would be a good choice imo over gloom's trap anyway.

Mike

tycIbn

Diabloii.Net Member
you know you don't have to use a monarch for spirit. pavise's, tower's, and other all work and require much less str and cost a lot less. just a thought.

atm on us east i think 35 monarchs are going for 2hrs. 3-10 hrs? are you non-ladder?

superjayson

Diabloii.Net Member
you know you don't have to use a monarch for spirit. pavise's, tower's, and other all work and require much less str and cost a lot less. just a thought.

atm on us east i think 35 monarchs are going for 2hrs. 3-10 hrs? are you non-ladder?
Those shields can't have 4 sockets. Monarch is the lowest str req shield that can have 4 sockets.

elitenecro

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry. I am USWEST Ladder. >.<

olwe

Diabloii.Net Member
35 fcr spirit monarch on useast now go from 2-3 hrs.

And spirit monarch is your best choice shield for pvm.

nebux

Diabloii.Net Member
i still like stormshield for pvm. i'm playing P8 pits runs in SP and good blocking and DR are good for me

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator
i still like stormshield for pvm. i'm playing P8 pits runs in SP and good blocking and DR are good for me
I prefer max block chars as well but for pvm you can get away with pure vita if you are careful with meatshields (wolves).

I have friends with vita druids that do fine, however, if you plan to mf in 8 player games block is the way to go imo. OP never mentioned playing multiple player games though.

Mike

sir goatscelot

Diabloii.Net Member
I find that SS is not needed for pvm even in large games, but it's as always up to the individual. Equip a Hf merc with Reapers toll and tele bomb everything lol..make sure you have either Dw's or Bear with ya :)