Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Windy druid newb needs help with on to hell progress

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by rayeck, Aug 25, 2018.

1. rayeck

rayeck Diabloii.Net Member

Hello,

i came back to d2 after maaany years and wanted to have some fun while playing so i made myself a windy druid (using some yt guide regarding skills and stats, installed a mode for ladder runewords to get that insight and spirit :)

as i basicly blazed through normal and nightmare, able to kill even p8 meph, i was shocked how i got my ass kicked on first few monsters in hell...

I know im missing gear mostly but all the good upgrade options need either hell dropping uniqes or hell quality dropping items with enough sockets.
    My problem is that i dont know what to farm, i know f.e. my chest needs to be changed but for waht? runewords i would want dont drop on NM... Should i farm meph, baal, diablo? or something else?

My problem is not surviving for now,problem is Cold immune ghouls that just dont take any dmg...

Ill describe my toon briefly down below and any comments are more than welcome.

Druid lvl 73

as for skills max out hurricane and tornado and twister, Cyclone armor 14 points (tornado dmg 2k, hurr 1,2k)
    single points in each summon to get the bear and Oak sage

Stats: str just to use items, dex almost none, max vit

Gear:

Head: Lore
    Chest: Stealth
    1h: Spirit
    oh: Andcients Pledge
    belt: razortail
    gloves:some demonhide with MF random drop
    boots: tearhaunch (+10 allres, some faster walk str and dex)
    shitty rings
    amulet with some resistances

thank you :)

2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

3. Baltha

Baltha Diabloii.Net Member

Windys work better with some twinking, to be honest. They are not that great for untwinked play. Anyway, your best bet is farm NM Meph although Windys are not very good at running bosses. Meph can drop useful upgrades to your gear like Jalal, Vipermagi, Lidless Wall, magefist/frostburn, waterwalks... Use the Larzuk quest reward to socket the Viper and the Jalal with PRuby/Ort/Ral depending what you need. Give your merc an Insight eth elite polearm if you don't have it already (you can farm the runes from NM countess), and shafstop and vamp gaze or something like that.

The main problem with Windys are Physical Immunes, ofc, who often are Cold Immunes or have high resistance to cold. You don't have TRT yet, so the best solution is Spellsteel (decrep can break most PI), which Meph can drop too. It has Teleport charges too, so can help with farming and reposition. Pick expensive crap from the floor to be able to pay the repair costs though.

4. drmalawi

I'd use a Shako or Rare circlet with Druid skills and FCR over Jalal tbh

Wind druids are ok if you are confined to players 1 I'd say. At higher player settings, you might wanna find a Reapers toll for the merc.

5. Baltha

And so do I. But he is having problems with the "first few monsters in hell". I don't think he will be able farm the Shako -or a good rare circlet or pelt.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  6. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Windy druids are perfectly acceptable for untwinked play. Hurricane isn't your damage dealer, that would be tornado. Hurricane adds some extra damage and the chill effect. Double or triple resist boots would be better than Tearhaunch (can get some MF too). Ditch razortail for a life/resist belt. Lore isn't awful untwinked, but be sure to check for +tornado pelts to make it in. SoV would be good to farm too, but not required. How is your merc? Can he survive? The merc and bear should be able to tank.

What players setting are you using?

Do your rings have fcr? What is your total fcr? Are you able to hit the next breakpoint? If not, can you ditch Stealth and maintain your current breakpoint? Then you can use Smoke for the resist.

7. drmalawi

what I meant was, I would not waste a socket Q for Jalal, because I would save the Sock Q for Shako or a nice circlet later on :)

Zyr likes this.
  8. Baltha

I think he knows that :p. I'm assuming he is having problems with PI because Hurricane doesn't deal enough cold damage to kill them. As I said earlier, there a lot of PI/CI dual immunes, and a lot of PI have a high Cold Resistance. Not sure how what untwinked windy can do about that, barring Spellsteel.

Fair enough.

Kitteh likes this.
  9. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

You're just used to rolling over everything up until Hell. Get them grizzly and merc to work and charge yourself with a bit of patience. Slowly getting used to Hell and doing some Pit runs will do you much more good than going back to NM and farming crap. Go /p1 if necessary, bump up to /p3 when you feel confident enough.

10. Kitteh

You go around it :p

11. rayeck

rayeck Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you all for answers that was exactly what i was looking for, you guys are very helpful :)

As for some info:

I do have insight on merc, just still havent found better basic weapon for an upgrade for him.

As for /p settings im running most of NM on 5+ except baal which takes too long and waves are too dangerous so running p1 or p2.

Looks like i know what im gonna do tonight - Meth, i mean... Meph... :D

Once again, thank you guys.

12. Baltha

Good luck! Tell us your best finds in the item find thread.

13. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Run Baal in NM a few times and again a couple of levels. That will help with you and Merc survival. I'd suggest lvl 75 for Hell. (Edit: Those zombies you mentioned have really high physical resistance, so they will take a little bit of patience for this build.)

Ditch that Razortail - the only thing it might be helping with is +dex for blocking (which I see you are not going for). Try crafting a sharkskin caster belt. The rest of your gear is good enough to finish the game, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Gamble for rings/amulets, or go with crafting if you have gems and runes for it. Once you have a better belt and jewelry, focus on better gloves, then boots.

When you play, cast the Grizzly ahead of you to attract monsters so they don't attack you. Use cyclone armor.

Faster cast is important, since you want Tornados going as much as possible, but +68 should be sufficient. (So a +8% faster cast belt can be really handy to reach that breakpoint. The next breakpoint is +99.)

And I concur with dropping gear to make sure you have max resistances. (Edit: Nef+Lum in 2-socket armor makes Smoke, an armor with +50 all resistance, and you can definitely find those runes in NM.) A synergized cyclone armor and max resistances should keep you alive through most things (decent block would help too). If you are taking lots of elemental hits, recast cyclone armor before it disappears on you.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Zyr, ioupainmax and srrw like this.
  14. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Good advice above.

I'd switch out Ancient's Pledge for a Splendor:
    Eth + Lum
    +1 To All Skills
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    +20% Faster Block Rate
    +60-100% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +10 To Energy
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters
    20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +3 To Light Radius

Then switch out Stealth for Smoke:
    Nef + Lum
    +75% Enhanced Defense
    +280 Defense Vs. Missile
    All Resistances +50
    20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Level 6 Weaken (18 Charges)
    +10 To Energy
    -1 To Light Radius

Aim for a minimum of 68% FCR, but recommended 99% FCR.

Helm: Lore / Rare Pelt (+3 Tornado and other useful skills like +2 Druid skills etc.)
    Armour: Smoke
    Weapon: Spirit (25-35% FCR)
    Shield: Splendor (10% FCR)
    Amulet: Rare 10% FCR (Resists / Druid Skills / Stats / MF)
    Ring 1: Rare 10% FCR (Resists / Stats / MF)
    Ring 2: Rare 10% FCR (Resists / Stats / MF)
    Belt: Crafted Craster 5-10% FCR (Resists / Stats)
    Gloves: Trang-Oul's Claws / Magefists (20% FCR)
    Boots: Rare (30% FRW / Resists / Stats / MF)

Assuming a 30% Spirit and 10% Belt, you'll have:

30+10+10+10+10+10+20 = 100% FCR

15. RIP

RIP Diabloii.Net Member

I would be repeating myself over and over again, but run Hell Countess /p1/ for LEM and KO runes and then hire Barbarian merc with Lawbringer as a weapon...Decrepify from it will help You alot, i'm sure of it (used this route succesfully with my two untwincked HC windys - both reached lvl 94 easily)

Other responses already covered everything You need to know ;)

Zyr and Baltha like this.
  16. Baltha

Good catch, deadlifter.

BTW, @RIP does your nickname has anything to do with Mark Rippetoe, the author of Starting Strength?

17. RIP

RIP Diabloii.Net Member

Actually not, although i'm familiar with this name...I've been powerlifter and strongman in the past, as You can judge from my avatar ;) (315kg deadlift, 300 kg squat - both raw, 140 kg Log lift and axle press to name a few)

Sorry for OT

drmalawi and Baltha like this.
  18. Kitteh

I think that SS is one of the most important exercise regimes created - simply on the basis of how many people have used it to ease into exercise. Personally, we always trained with calisthenics, but I know a lot of people who got into training via SS.

Baltha likes this.
  19. drmalawi

Nice dude! I thought I was the strongest Diablo II player in the World but now I must give that title to you ;) A true Barbarian know when he is beaten

This is not OT, we are discussing how much attributes in Strength a Wind druid needs ;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    T72on1 and RIP like this.