Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Windows XP ProN

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steel_Avatar, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Windows XP ProN

Coming soon to an EU supplier near you!

Personally I think that the requirement was a load of manure, but that's just me. While the original name they wanted was a poke at the EU (Windows XP Reduced Media Edition), and while it accurately described the product (no WMP), the EU didn't take it. I think the new name is quite amusing though :)

My question is, did they merely remove WMP itself, or did they also remove the DirectShow and other video / audio playback APIs and 'hooks' in the underlying OS? Because if they did, ain't nothing gonna run on it without a hefty download. Not WMP, not Winamp, not *shudder* Real, or whatever.

2. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Awww man I thought you were going to reveal some easter egg in my OS :(

3. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Agreed. There are many better things to go after Windows for than WMP, one of the things that actually makes the damn OS useful IMO.

I would be extremely surprised if they did any more than just remove WMP from the standard installation. As you say, the way that the OS works means that doing a complete flush of the API's would essentially cripple it, to the extent that I believe even a bog-standard web-browser would have difficulty running. Plus, I don't believe those API's can possibly come under the jurisdiction of the EU case, as they are not typically provided by third-party media playing software (and as such are the province of an OS).

Then again, both the EU and MS are capable of anything, so I discount nothing ;)

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Actually, SZ, I wouldn't be surprised if MS did completely remove the APIs. Then when customers complained, they could say, "Hey don't look at us, blame the EU!"

They aren't happy with the EU, and I don't blame them either. Look at the original name MS wanted to use. They're doing everything they can to follow exactly the letter of the law, but no further, and doing what they can to snipe back at them.

Another thing MS is doing is to charge the same price for the WMP-less version of WinXP.