Windows XP, Date and Time changing itself

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
Windows XP, Date and Time changing itself

So, every once in a while the date and time in windows changes itself. Most of the time it happens when I power on the machine, so I was just thinking that my battery may be bad. But just today it happened while the computer was still on. I dont have the slightest clue on where to start looking for a solution. Any ideas?

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
its probably xp's clock feature, looking at the internet for the current date/time

make sure you put in the correct time zone, if the problem persists
right click on the time > adjust date/time > internet time, tab iirc

when the cmos battery goes dead you normally get bigger problems than losing time

ragnar_ii

Diabloii.Net Member
ffejrxx said:
its probably xp's clock feature, looking at the internet for the current date/time

make sure you put in the correct time zone, if the problem persists
right click on the time > adjust date/time > internet time, tab iirc

when the cmos battery goes dead you normally get bigger problems than losing time
My time zone was messed up. Which is really weird because that was the first thing I set when I set up this computer again about a month ago.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
ragnar_ii said:
My time zone was messed up. Which is really weird because that was the first thing I set when I set up this computer again about a month ago.

Just leave it as is and learn to calculate the difference. This way, when you travel, you'll always know what time to call home so you don't wake anyone up at 3 am.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
that won't work b/c if you dont have the correct date, most websites will go beserk on you

You should talk to Zodi, she has magic powers that mess with the XP clock too.

I would check the CMOS battery and then see if there are any 'fixes' for your problem in the MS online help thing(Yeah I know hardly ever works).

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
if you have other pcs on your lan that keep time better
you can create a shortcut and add it to your startup
Code:
net time /set /y 192.168.0.xxx