Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Windows Live Messenger

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by hacchantal, Oct 15, 2006.

1. hacchantal

hacchantal IncGamers Member

Windows Live Messenger

So, I was wondering: does anyone like this version of MSN? Do you find any errors in it? I started using it a few days ago and I noticed that when I right click on a contact, I get "Windows Live Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." etc etc.

Anyway, just wondered what everyone thought of the new MSN :tongue:

2. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

I haven't had any problems with it, though I only use it for chatting and nothing more...even then I prefer AIM over MSN.

3. hacchantal

Lucky you... hmm I can't seem to even find anyone with the same problem, so is there someone I can contact to get help? This is annoying, I can't even delete contacts because it gives me an error.

Edit: Whoa... I signed on a different hotmail address with Live Messenger... and the right clicking problem isn't there... I can actually right click on contacts... hmmm what the heck now this confuses me.

4. Stompwampa

try re-installing

5. hacchantal

Uh... ok... how do I uninstall to do that? >< I've never done this with msn before

6. Stompwampa

i'm pretty sure you can download an .exe from msn.com

7. hacchantal

I won't bother... too confusing. Thanks anyways :smiley:

8. Stompwampa

here. does that make it easier for you? just download and install.

9. hacchantal

You sound annoyed, I didn't say you had to help me lol :undecided: I really appreciate it though.

I've tried re-installing it, but there's no change. It's only on my one MSN account that it does this error thing... hmm I wonder why that is. Maybe I should delete all my contacts somehow and re-add them.

10. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

People who try to help with computer issues always sound annoyed, I've learned. It's to do with what is perfectly plain and simple for them, usually isn't every day meat for me. Personally I'd not know how to de- and re install msn either, and so far any "help" I got on all sorts of pc issues only confused me more.....

Anyways, I appear to be using Live Messenger, and never had all that many problems with it, but it's not all that great. It works most of the time though.:smiley:

11. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Hac - If all you want to do is delete a contact, instead of right-clicking them, try left-clicking (so the name is highlighted), then press the Delete key on your keyboard. Should work as well. Most things do have a keyboard shortcut, presumably for situations like yours.

Unfortunately, Vivi is right. Those of us who know computers well tend to take that fact for granted, and may get a little snooty when explaining something that seems simple. I try not to, because I help quite a few people who are computer-illiterate around here (or at least I have, they aren't so bad any more). But there's always the problem that when you're trying to help via text, and you don't know the person outside of, say, a forum, you can come across as a bit annoyed when you're just trying to keep things short and simple, while still giving exact, step-by-step instructions.

12. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Speaking from experience, I'm afraid. My ex bf is very handy with computers but can't explain it in a way I understand what's up. Not believing I have an error and saying "that's impossible" doesn't help either when it's clearly shown on the screen.
    My long distance mate tends to send me print screens with ms paint instructions or pointers on it, doesn't always help but it does most of the time!

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/cartoons/nemi/060926_nemi.gif

13. Stompwampa

No, I wasn't annoyed. :wink3: It' OK.
    So if you log in with a different MSN account it works fine?
    I know there's a way to wipe it from recognizing your accounts, that way you can re-add that account from scratch and perhaps it would work again. I've never had to do it though, so I don't know where to start...

14. hacchantal

Okay, great :smiley: and yes it works fine if I log on with a different MSN account, I don't know why either :shocked:

So what do you mean by wiping it ? you mean the msn name thingy at the start right before you add your password? Is it that?

Thanks quietus for the info lol I'll try that and thanks Vivi :smiley:

15. Stompwampa

Yea, sort of. It basically wipes your system of any memory that a particular user account every existed. Then you can re-apply it to the system, and it should create a new local profile for that user, thus hopefully elimiating the problem.

I've done it with AIM before when the screen name box end up having dozens of names in it because of all our friends who would log on to AIM, and then it would store thier screen name. But that was a few years ago too...

16. hacchantal

Ah, okay it sorta makes sense lol. Hmm... I have NO idea how to do that with mine though.... :|

17. Stompwampa

Take a look around the MSN messenger foler. You should find something about the user profiles. Just delete them. If you f-up the program, re-install.

I know, great computer advice, but that's what I would do :thumbsup:

18. hacchantal

Haha - okay I'll try it later. Ty ^^

Edit: Um... I looked through every single MSN folder I had and I didn't see anything to do with the user profiles...

19. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

All i can say is msn>aim seriouslly it has wayyy more options. It has never crashed on me, but i wouldn't be surprised i mean its a microsoft's program after all.