Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Windowed playing?!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by zelfmoordis, Mar 13, 2004.

1. zelfmoordis

zelfmoordis IncGamers Member

Windowed playing?!

I seem to recall the possibilty of playing diablo in a window, not full-screen!

This seems very handy for doing MF-runs and MSN-ing at the smae time :), so can anyone point me into the right direction on how to get this going?

:wave:

2. Mr_McGee

Mr_McGee IncGamers Member

right click on ur D2 shortcut > properties > target> add -w to the end

3. zelfmoordis

It says its an illegal target. "c:\diablo ii\dload.exe"-w is unvalid

I also tried dload-w.exe" and dload.exe-w" both didnt work!

4. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

My god, this is great, the game starts up like 10 sec faster, and the graphics are great.
    I just hope I dont order an elephant by mistake

"c:\diablo ii\dload.exe"-w

"c:\diablo ii\dload.exe" -w

a space between " and -w

5. stickyfingers

stickyfingers IncGamers Member

thanks guys i just tryed this for the first time and i agree that this is great
    :clap:

6. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

it is great

i can't remember the last time i played on fullscreen

i like to be able to have my player guide screen open so i can just click off the screen to see what i should do when i level - or get to a certain boss :) very usefull

however, sometimes it gets annoying when i accidently click off the program - and it puts diablo ii into the background... when i'm just trying to click on lots of different groups of characters to cast curses...

7. cholerajoe

cholerajoe IncGamers Member

GDAMN! I didn't think it was possible. I'm definately going to do this.

8. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

I just tried it for about two hours and personally didn't care for it. Yes, it looks a lot better, but it also seemed a lot darker, no matter how I played with my graphics options and monitor settings. I couldn't distinguish rares from uniques at all when they fell to the ground. Since I pick up almost everything anyway, that's not so bad. The big problem was that I couldn't see monsters' life bars well at all, which is bad bad bad when you're playing an MF barb who needs to know when to switch to his Ali Babas.

I dunno, maybe my eyes are just going bad, but I had to switch back to fullscreen.

9. zelfmoordis

When I add the space it indeed doesnt give the error, but its still in fulllscreen!!! I'm going to reboot, maybe that'll help, altough I expect not..

10. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

could be your eyes ;) or maybe your monitor? or display settings (althuogh you said it wasn't). i can honestly say i have no problems with it being too dark, or with mistaking colors for other colors (rares for uniques - or even regular items with socket items)

11. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Hmm, what your screen resolution in windows? If it is same than the resolution you have in D2 (800x600 I guess) then it seems like it is fullscreen, even if you run it in windowed mode

But this may be just a bad guess because I really don't know anything :teeth:

@ Spiral55

I had the same problem about a year ago. Try to adjust D2 video settings, I mean those you can find when you press esc while playing. Adjust gamma and contrast, that should help. Using high gamma will help while playing, you will see monsters better, but uniques/rares will confuse you and everything will look horrible. Try to find settings which looks good and will make difference between rare/unique

I hope this helps

PS. windowed mode is awful :teeth: I always click outside the game window making it go to background. I also killed myself 2 times. Thank god, now I have switched back

12. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

You can't change D2's gamma settings in Windowed mode, you have to do it with your display itself...

I like windowed mode. Only problem is that it minimises if you click outside the screen (if you're playing SP it also pauses, so you can't die - TCP/IP and Bnet however are another matter). Still, can't have everything.

13. zelfmoordis

It's not the resolution thingy, nice guess though ^^ - And I still havent gotten it to work :)

Anyone with any knowledge on the subject wants to give me his advice?

14. soul_rebirth

soul_rebirth IncGamers Member

Hmm, the same thing happens to me, sorta. Not only does everything get darker, but I find that the game lags just a little bit. Full screen for life!

15. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

I think it's the other way around (at least for me). Anyway, I notice you only have one post so how about introducing yourself in a new thread and tell us all a bit about yourself! Welcome to the SPF! :wave:

16. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

On Macs the Apple-M command does this and you can go to a window at any time in the game. Is there no keyboard command to do this in Windows?

17. spiral55

spiral55 IncGamers Member

The Windows key on most PC keyboards will do that, as will alt+tab. However, this windowed mode plays the game in a window on your destop, so you can see other open applications as you play, which is why I tried it. And it didn't work for me. You know whose fault that was, don't you? :lol:

18. zelfmoordis

Problem remains, I can't get my diabloii to work in a window.. I am using Windows XP and my monitor resolution is much higher than my diabloii resolution! I added the -w but diabloii will still run in fullscreen!

19. Kaelin

Kaelin IncGamers Member

What is dload.exe? If it's some kind of crack, perhaps that's why? If so, there are others that work (I'm using one).

Regards,
    Kaelin

20. Kamelbarn

Kamelbarn IncGamers Member

Yes, It's a crack.

I wonder, why using a cracked loader? Don't say that you don't want the cd to play the music, because it's easily avoided by moving the file D2XMUSIC.MPQ to the directory where you installed the game.

Use the regular diabloii.exe instead, that should work.