Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind Druids and Baal?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Fluffballer, May 4, 2005.

1. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

Wind Druids and Baal?

Hi, welcome to myself :p I'm new.

Anywho, after blowing through D2 a few years ago with very successful characters I made on my friends game/hell-- even killing Heph easy, I decided I wanted a second taste and bought the box set for myself. Even after studying synergies, the first thing that happened was... all of my characters were complete disasters (as in couldn't finish den on hell) despite all my years of D2. WOW 1.10.

So I did my research and made a wind druid, my first hell viable character. I have to also add he's only hell viable because I sold and traded every single thing I owned from my other 7 characters to get his equipment (my point is if you say "u n33d Ngma dood" I will tear your thingy off :p ) Level 91. He's using:

Harlequin with perfect topaz
    Skullders with perfect topaz
    spirit broadsword
    Stormshield
    Gloom Mesh (I think that's the name)
    Silkweave
    Ravenfrost
    Frostburn
    Manald heal
    +3 elemental amulet no other mods

20 all wind skills
    1 griz, dire, rave, 2 spirit, all the rest in oak

So my question is, he's done some Baal runs, and often times most people leave after lister. So I figure I'll go get Baal's items for myself. Once in a while I'll see Baal's life bar go down? He just doesn't do any damage. Baal can't kill me due to cyclone armor but... when I can't kill him. Eventually I'm fighting like... 10 Baals and I just run out of purple potions. Note that I've even tried this when bot's chicken at Baal's 1/4 health or whatever. I just don't. do. damage. Avg a little over 3000.

Is it possible to kill baal solo with a wind druid?

It's doesn't seem so? I searched and it seemed to say "not unless your merc kill him with CB" mostly. Am I just doomed to be a "champion"? My only thoughts are more +skills or more +casting. ?

2. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

i had a wind druid on hcl, lvl 89 and it could kill hell baal quiet easily, it depends on your skill you are using and what merc you have,

my druid was uber complete,
    items as follows

rare +5 tornado helm and with some crazy resists,
    9 skiller gcs
    enigma
    hoto
    spirit
    maras
    bk and a wisp
    sws
    trangs gloves
    and marrow boots

it it could solo hell baal quiet easily, with baal i found the easist way to kill him is to have a merc with holy freeze to freeze baal and then spam tornado at him and it made a big differnce to the amount of damage as you have hurricane going at the same time,

3k hurricane spining about me, then a line of 6k nado and he dropped in like 2-3 mins in a solo game, but i didnt need to use pot casue my merc and bear tanked most of his damage and my cyclone armor helped me too,

i think you just need to do a few pit runs and/or mephy runs and find a few items to trade,

i say do pit runs casue you nado is physical damage which kills all but the PI monstars but then you have hurricane to kill them, cause i have i found a few high runes in the pits like ber, sur and vex,

gl to you, :clap: :clap:

3. Fluffballer

Fluffballer IncGamers Member

I've been MFing like a crazy crazy person because I figure only your setup is viable to kill Baal. I guess that's really all there is to it, you have to have those 9 plus ele skill GCs and things like that? Am I right in saying I made a character hell viable at anything except Baal until I'm quote "GODLY" endquote?

I think I've answered my own question as we only have hurricane and tornado as our attacks and I've maxed those. My merc uses Orphan's Call helm, Shael Shael Bonehew and Gladiator's Bane.

Answer is: more + damage and Baal is hard to kill as he should be.

Edit: Thanks for the reply and thanks for any others. :cool:

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

First of Holy Freeze doesn't work against act bosses...but it's still a mighty usefull aura against other critters.

Secondly you don't need a godly outfit to kill Baal...if you you're only after getting Patriarch all it requires is a bit of patience. If you're planning on running him a lot of times you should consider getting some better gear since Baal is quite troublesome for a Wind Druid. Your setup is probably a bit better than mine and I have killed Baal a couple of times, it's not easy but can definitely be done.

2xShael Bonehew is an excellent weapon, but against Baal a 2xshael Hone Sundan would be much better, the insanse Crushing Blow will greatly increase your killing speed, and you can't leech much from Hell Baal anyway. Another option is Kelpie Snare which will slow Baal a lot making him much more docile and manageable. He won't spawn as many clones or use that annoying mana burn attack so often when he is slowed.

If you want to MF you should probably consider other targets like The Pits as rawjr also mentioned, they are much easier for Wind Druids. Also Shenk+Eldritch are quite easy to MF.

5. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

- try to get a spirit monarch, since you can use SS. stop using SS when fighting Baal.
    - ditch your manald ring - what's the use of it? replace it with a 2%+ bk (or, as a 2nd best choice, a SOJ) - if you can.
    - replace your Gloom mesh with Arachnid mesh - if you can.
    - add an anni (any %) to your inv.
    - add 1-3 Elem gc to your inv.

all the above will give you about +6-8 skills to your current +8 = you'll get up to level 36 wind-related skills.

outfit your merc so that he can do at least 2k+ max dmg (best with CB and other nice mods), and keep him alive all the time. he'll be great help to you.

Once all is set, you'll be able to get your job slowly done. even if Baal is spawned in 8ppl games, you'll at least see some dmg (try to treat Baal as sorta cold immune, and rely more on physical against him).

Happy farming Baal!

6. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

- your merc has NO LL? That's interesting.
    - hopefully this is a Might merc (so he does 3.5k+ max from lvl 68 on, plus 35% CB from his helm)
    - if you want to max MF%, you'd be better off giving your "unkillable" merc an item or two with MF.
    - Hell Baal can be leeched by a well-equipped merc whose lvl is not too low (at least 75 or 80+, w/ high FHR%).

- just maxing your raw skills is not enough. maxing +skills from your equipment is equally important.

7. rawrj

rawrj IncGamers Member

the only thing about that i dont like is with enigma and a ber in the ss if you rich is that you will have max d/r too which is very very useful in hell baaling i would use a ber'd ss if i had a spare ber and pass it over my 35 spirit anyday :p :clap:

8. Kretschmer

Kretschmer IncGamers Member

I could solo baal with my untwinked windy in his mid-80s. Much worse gear than you all are throwing around, too. It takes a while but it's doable. Quite fun on HC.

9. Aeonios

Aeonios IncGamers Member

If you're looking for a char to get your foot in the door, a windy ain't it ;P.

10. icicle

icicle IncGamers Member

I kind of agree with Aeonios. My 99FCR/99FHR windy is doing 5k+ tornados and 2.4k hurricane and he is constantly running out of mana due to Baal's mana burn. Tornado tends to miss Baal even when Baal is not teleporting. It's kind of disappointing that a windy cannot solo Baal effectively (meaning less than a minute) without the help of a merc. Currently, I'm thinking of getting a Wrath bow for my Act1 Merc for some decrep.

11. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Either Life Tap wand on switch or some means to cast amp (go seek rare polearms with that mod) First will make merc immortal, second will double your damage. Though windies are notthe best baalrunners, period.

12. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

It's very easy. My first MFer was a Windy.

Rogue + Riphook + Blackhorn's

OR

Town Guard + Kelpie's Snare

Baal stops moving. His spells, well at least for me, become ineffective. I see the animation, but nothing happens. Casting interruptiong or something?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The important thing is that Baal stops moving and his spells no longer work. It doesn't even matter that your Mercenary does 0 damage. He/She is just there to provide %Slow.

Now that Baal can't teleport or move for that matter, just find the sweet spot and spam Tornados.

gg Baal.

13. icicle

icicle IncGamers Member

hmm..that's a good idea indeed. I'd go get a Riphook tonight.

14. Rauth

Rauth IncGamers Member

Why is it so hard for people to figure out that reapers toll is the best way to go by Far for a windy merc :(. Its not like its super rare or anything.

15. icicle

icicle IncGamers Member

Well, that's a well-known solution for people who like Act 2 merc, which I don't. I prefer Act1 merc and hence, I'm working with constraints here. Besides Riphook, as I said in my other post, I'm thinking of using a Wrath bow, which has Decrepify, similar to Reaper Toll.

16. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

For me personally, I use Decrepify > Crowds and %Slow > Bosses.

17. MortisNostre

MortisNostre IncGamers Member

if you have nigma, or soemthing with tele charges, all you have to do is tele on top of baal and spam nados, they will all hit him, because you are on him. My windy does 5.5 k nado and he is dead is 30 seconds.

18. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

@MortisNostre: well, either I misunderstood you and you meant that your windy dies in 30 seconds or your windy casts at least 6 tornades per second. (baal likes to tele, though, so probably more)

May I please see your FCR gear? ^^

19. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

The best way to kill baal IS to slow him down.

Personally, I would use:
    Woestave
    Halberd
    Two-Hand Damage: (14-16) To (54-62) (34-39 Avg)
    Required Level: 28
    Required Strength: 75
    Required Dexterity: 47
    Durability: 55
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +20-40% Enhanced Damage(varies)
    50% Chance Of Open Wounds
    Slows Target By 50%
    Hit Blinds Target +3
    -50 To Monster Defense Per Hit
    Freezes Target
    Prevent Monster Heal

The 50% slow is enough to keep baal in place, but a beneficial feature that Woestave has that kelp doesn't is Open wounds. Baal regens life fairly fast, but with open wounds, that regeneration is stopped.

Once baal is no longer mobile, just walk up to him and start casting tornados.

20. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Afaik, Baal doesn't regenerate at all, much like any other boss. Correct me if I'm wrong though.