Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind Druid vs Exploding dolls

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Pharaohz, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Pharaohz

Pharaohz Diabloii.Net Member

Wind Druid vs Exploding dolls

Hey guys. I just lost my lvl 72 wind druid (hardcore) to an exploding doll in NM in the throne on a baal run. IDK how I'm supposed to survive against these guys. I know most people just run away and let merc kill, but I always have hurricane out. It instant KO'd the doll, which instant KO'd me lol. I was amp damaged right before the doll got to me though :(. I had about 1300hp with oak sage out. I'm looking for replys from other wind druid players (preferably hardcore) who always have hurricane out, how do you survive the doll explosions?

2. minuses

minuses Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Wind Druid vs Exploding dolls

Geez you should be working in a party on HC. The only way to play HC is to work in teams so other chars use other skills from tree to make your runs easy.

3. Chromesto

Chromesto Diabloii.Net Member

So there is no hardcore in sp?

I've lost a 73 sorceress in the same place because I was too trigger happy with Frozen Orbs and a dollpack (or just the leader, I'm not sure) got too close when an orb was flying around. I could have avoided that by being more careful and just teleporting away.

In winddruid's case I could imagine that I would try dropping one point in some summon skill and then spamming that one to scout an area that is known to be capable of spawning something nasty like dolls. Don't know if that is the best or even a working way though.

4. Lgpergentile

Lgpergentile Diabloii.Net Member

Can doll explosions be blocked? My wind druid has maxblock in hell and when I run meph, the doll explosions don't seem to hit me. One tip though, if your going to run in places with high damage monsters, Lots of Wolves> One Bear, because they make a bigger meat shield. Physical Damage Reduction 50% might help too, keeping your from insta-death, but will still hurt. Easiest way to avoid is Enigma with 100%fcr, even if you tele right into them, you can tele out again before any of them pop from your merc or your hurricane killing.

5. butchie

butchie Diabloii.Net Member

The doll explosion damage is physical so it can be blocked. Physical damage reduction helps aswell.
    But even if you have max block and good damage reduction you still have to play it save around dolls as more of them exploding at once may kill you.

You can read more on doll explosion damage here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718811&page=2

If i'm reading it correctly: If you were amped and the doll hit critical on explosion you could end up receiving over 2k dmg ;)

6. Bockwinkle

Bockwinkle Diabloii.Net Member

durance lvl 2 and throne dolls suck....I lost my 77 wind druid about a month ago to durance lvl 2 nm dolls with about 1250 hp (hardcore ladder) and my new windy is lvl 80 and my new strategy is to cast grizzly (1 pt) ahead of me to attract the dolls and then let my merc kill them.

It is kind of bogus to have to be so cautious of the little buggers.....but at least it makes the game more challenging to play.

Another strategy is not not use hurricane...let them run up to you and bite your ankles but at least they don't explode and just run away from them....they only hurt you when they explode.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Strategy 1: Run or teleport) away until your merc or minions can bind them in melee, then kill them from a distance.

Strategy 2: Blocking works against doll explosions. If you have max blocking, switch off run mode and fight them, no matter if they are near or not. Just avoid larger packs. I do it like that with my zealot.

Hurricane might kill them at an inopportune moment or draw their attention towards you, maybe it makes sense to switch it off when using Strategy 1.

8. MrJimFear

MrJimFear Diabloii.Net Member

I would just let my merc and bear handle them while hanging around spamming tornadoes in their direction.