Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind druid PVM??

Discussion in 'Druid' started by ShaiTanZul, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ShaiTanZul

ShaiTanZul IncGamers Member

Wind druid PVM??

Hi,

I've read a lot about pvp wind druids and about how good they are.

My question is if they are also suitable/good for PVM?

2. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Yes.

Tornado is very good for taking out large groups of monsters, just spam a few in their general direction and they should go down pretty quick.You also have hurracane helping out by slowing (and damaging) anyhting that comes near you.

You have total elemental immunity as long as you keep cyclone armour up. Which is nice.

Against bosses you just want to find a good line for your tornadoes and hold down the button (make sure you have fast cast rate)

Two drawbacks:
    1. starting out is slow until level 24, when you start to own everything... unless you waste skill points elsewhere in the tree where it will be quicker to level 24 but you will take longer to reach your full potential - do lots of group tristruns and tomb runs.
    2. In hell physical immunes are bad bad bad, esp if they come with cold immune - see if you can get "Reapers Toll" for your merc (or something else than has chance to cast decrepify or amp damage)

3. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

"2. In hell physical immunes are bad bad bad, esp if they come with cold immune - see if you can get "Reapers Toll" for your merc (or something else than has chance to cast decrepify or amp damage)"

exactly.. this is the most important pointer. thanks for pointing this out to him. reapers toll (hopefully eth) is a must for pvm hell.

4. MagicMoron

MagicMoron IncGamers Member

Another option is if you have enigma or teleportation from circlet/ammy/weap etc, just tele by.

5. ShaiTanZul

ok, thanx!

Since I play non-ladder I can't use Reaper's Toll, I will tele then...

But one more question before i start with the char: Will the build* at lvl 90 with about +20 to elemental skills be really powerfull?
    Or is it better to go for a fire druid with PVM?

Still dont know what to choose :confused:

(*Build is standard wind druid with synergies maxed)

6. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

wind druids own in pvm...better tahn fire druids

7. ShaiTanZul

ok, thanx. That's the answer I was hoping for :)

And what about summoning wolves or bear? Is it worth to spend some points in?

8. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Just get 1 point into grizzley so you have a recastable tank.

Oh, since you can't get reapers then get a spellsteel axe (decrep charges) and have it on switch. There aren't really that many PI immune monster types, just a lot of PI immune bosses so it should work out alright.

9. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

i do hell runs with my windy all the time and its a breeze..

10. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

my first HCL windy druid looked silly, cos he had all sorts of werid colors on him. that's about the only thing i remembered about him.

my last SCL windy druid owned in PvM even before he started to use spirit sword at lvl 25. From lvl ~45 to 65+, he went anywhere in NM in big games, with 101% FCR, 3 wolves, 5 ravens, and 1 Insight merc (starting from lvl 27). He killed very fast everywhere, and nearly never ran out of mana. He helped other players kill NM Diablo and ancients many times, and tanked cows for parties in big games too, until his leveling slowed down (after that he put on an enigma and started to do baalruns). He had at least 55% Faster R/W. Most of the time in those NM game, he just led a whole party run through Chaos or secret cow level, no monster or cow packs could stand in his way without being mowed down in just a sec. it was hilarious!! he has never died. I wish he could stay at lvl 50ish forever.

in Hell his power has greatly decreased. his base str is only 35. what else can i possibly do with him if i can't continue keeping an enigma on him?

I thought i could use him for rush, besides playing with him for fun. But he's a horrible teleporter even with 99%+ FCR - in Hell he could only have 68%+ with enigma.

I can say, he's a very powerful druid, but the problem is, druid is not a very powerful class.

11. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

nice story...but i disagree with you there...i've rushed a full hell game with my windy and it was piss and i did the whole thing by myself everyone else stayed in town...the only char better in pvm was my hammerdin...but then they are the best pvm'ers in the game...

Mayhs

12. HCTwinJava

how fast to rush hell full with a windy druid? especially when going to get some quests like staff/anya/ancients for rushees? i guess that's about the only thing you disagreed on. you might have used Infinity or something similar.

13. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Infinity wouldn't exactly help a wind druid that much considering they do physical damage with their nados. I mean it'll remove physical immunities, but there are cheaper ways of doing that. Wind druids do insane damage as well as being immune to elemental attacks. So unless you aren't aiming them correctly, they should be able to solo hell (or rush hell) easily.

14. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

yeh the main thing is learning how to aim with the tornados...

15. HCTwinJava

it's not that a good windy druid can't rush. every decent char can do that to some extent. it's that a best windy druid is slower than a good rusher sorc or pally - IMO. boss killing is the main part of a full-game rush, but compared to some other builds, a windy druid is *significantly* slower in terms of killing bigger bosses like act bosses and ancients.

BTW, cyclone armor doesn't grand a windy druid immunity to any elemental attack: poison can kill him, lots of elemental attacks on Hell difficulty have a physical damage portion, and the absorb is limited.

Also, aiming tornado isn't hard at all. any experienced game player should have no problem learning how to it, in just a minute or two.

16. Mayhs

Mayhs IncGamers Member

i did baal runs with my windy a lot...and it is so easy...granted theyre nothing compared to hammerdins in pvm...but if u want an amazing pvp'er and a very good pvm'er then a wind druid is the best one for u...

17. Sh4dovv

Sh4dovv Banned

there is no unique on ladder that isnt on non-ladder...