Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Wind Druid problems in act 5

Discussion in 'Druid' started by jerichob, May 3, 2005.

1. jerichob

jerichob IncGamers Member

Wind Druid problems in act 5

Hello all you druid fans,

I have recently built a wind druid and enjoy playing it a lot. I've heard opinions that these ele chars are sweet to play PvM and I got a taste for that.

However I encountered problem playing in act 5 Hell, starting from the last WP in act 5 going for Baal. The monsters in there decrease your Resistances and they cast other nasty spells and are generally hard to manage. Any tips here? What is your experience playing in Act 5 Baal?

I think I did all the twinking and spent some time gathering the right kind of equipment and "fine tuning" my druid. Here is how he looks:

Shako Um'ed
    Vipermagi Um'ed
    Hoto 38
    Spirit Monarch Shield
    Frostburn
    Arachnid Mesh
    War Traveller
    Mara
    Soj & BK

On switch I have CTA 2 and Spirit Shield.

In inventory: Gheed GC, 7 skillers, Anni, some SC Vita and Resi.

Merc: Holy Freeze equipped with Shaftstop, Vampire Gaze and Reaper's Toll - trained to my char's level.

Skills: 20 in the main 4 skills: Hurricane, Tornado, Cyclone Armor and the forth one in the wind tree (cant remember the name). The rest of the points I put in Oak Sage. 1 point in Grizzly also.

OK, this is how my druid looks.

When I play I cast BO with my CTA, start Hurricane, cast Grizzly and Cyclone Armor. Hurricane deals something like 3k cold damage, Tornado is my main attack with something like 5-6k elemental damage. Nothing to smirk at I think, eh?

Also, I can't seem to manage the physical immunes well... I just ignore them and go on without killing them, but I wonder what the other druid fans do about them.

I can't see any way to improve this char any further and in Hell games, I have no problems at all, the char performs very well. He is cute to play with, lotsa fun for PvM and I don't play PvP. But Baal runs play from the last WP and Baal minions is terrible.

Any tips? What do I do wrong?

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

you might just be too offensive. if you take it easy, your hurricane will kill those phys immunes.
    About lowered resists, there is really no other way than stacking up on life or resists, and hope you survive long enough to kill them. They should go down in a tornado or two, right? Make sure you are never surrounded by evil knights with swords, and try to dodge the fire/cold/lightning/poison bolts cast at you.

A good "whoa-i-can-not-die"-tip is to equip the merc with a delirium helm. With its chance to cast confuse on attack, monsters will end up hitting each other after only a few seconds. Make sure you do not use reapers toll along with this though, since the decrep will override the confuse. Switch for some fast weapon with lifesteal instead, perhaps a tomb reaver with amn runes.
    I found this very effective, and my windy has no problems at all soloing 8player cows without the merc dying. All monsters hit each other, and before the spell duration is over, it has probably been cast 10 or more times anyway, so i'd say its permanent ;)

Keep in mind though, that baal considers monsters with confuse as dead, so new waves can spawn even if all monsters are still there. (but hey, they arent dangerous)

3. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

I think your char looks fine. Just be cautious and remember to recast cyclone often. I prefer spike or spirit sword to hoto also, but its your call.

Garbad

4. jerichob

Hey, thanks guys! These are really very helpful comments. I knew I was missing something small, but important.

I'll definiately give it a try with a re-equipped merc, Delirium helm sounds like a nice try! I was thinking about a "rich man" gear, something like: Doom, Coh and Delirium, of course with another type of aura merc. But I need to collect the gear, not cheap items... :)

Anyway, I'm really grateful to see your replies! Keep on druiding! :))

5. jerichob

Oh by the way, what is your opinion for using Spirit Monarch Shield vs. Stormshield? I experimented with both, but eventually went on with Spirit. The disadvantage is that I am way off from max block (maybe something like 50% block and I will not waiste more skill points for Dex), but I have a wonderful +2 skills mod. With Stormshield I had max block, but no +skills.

The thing is... the monsters will usually not get me, I have merc and grizzly tanking them and Hurricane to soften them if they come. So higher damage is what I chose.

But that might cause me some problems in act 5, something I was talking about in my original post here.

Also... another issue is, I invested 200+ points in Dex, there has already been some discussion about max block chars vs. high life chars. I defeiniately feel that investing skill points in Dex and increasing block was worth it. But perhaps if I choose Spirit rather than Stormshield, I should forget about Dex and go purely high life?

What do you think?

6. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

If you use delirium, monsters will not attack you that much, so max block isnt needed. (assuming pvm)
    and delirium+doom is no good combo, since doom has no leech. Better to use HF-merc for aura then, and just get a weapon with leech.
    Else it should work out just fine ;)

7. jerichob

Yo, well said.

Hmm, Doom and Delirium not a good combo due to the lack of life leech? But Tomb Reaver also lacks life leech or am I mistaken? My idea was that Coh has not only a sweet life leech, but also reduced damage, so I was thinking the entire combo of Delirium-Doom-Coh might work well. Anway, perhaps Tomb Reaver with Delirium and... what, Shaftstop... will work better. I will experiment with this setup, since for now I cannot afford Doom anyways. :))

Also, do you think that when using Delirium with merc I could ignore my chars Dex and just invest in life?

8. Gotcha

Gotcha IncGamers Member

In PVM spirit is all you need since even physical damage from monsters is managable. For PVP you will need SS, even if you are pure vita build, for WW barbs, some zons and some sins. Against all else and all casters SS is useless.

In general (PVP) SS for melee chr's except a few and spirit for casters and all else.

9. BananaPancakes

BananaPancakes IncGamers Member

lol man i can defintly tell u its not your gear thats causing your problems. but relax, everyone has problems in act 5 hell, especially with those lightning things =/.

10. jerichob

Ha! You hit the point! So is there anything that can be done about that? There are a lot of builds out there, where they say "You can easily solo 8 player games". Well, they forgot to mention act 5 hell. :-(

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Wow
    And you're having trouble in PvM? Slow down a bit and play smarter you won't be so prone to have trouble.

I use a dual elemental (pure elemental tree druid) and have no problem with act 5 Hell (less the ancients but oh well) and I am using a hexfire/mosers (2 pdiamond) for weaponry.

The biggest problem I see with most windy players is they rush in and stand still. Use your hurricane it deal enough damage by itself, use some strafe to avoid the lightning attacks.

12. WM Quaker

WM Quaker IncGamers Member

If you use Spirit instead of SS, you should go for the vit indstead of dex?
    And what about the strength, if you cant afford an enigma?

13. No1SuperSaiyan

No1SuperSaiyan IncGamers Member

max block is the way to go. i like the hit them fast and hard approach. You should already have tons of extra life with cta and oak sage. Get a wisp if the lighting bothers you make sure you have max resists.

like many others have said your setup is fine. What you need is to fine tune your absorbs and perhaps resist and your play style to not get swarmed.